Best way to explore Isaan?

fred2028

I'm hoping to spend ~4 weeks in Isaan for my next Thailand trip and am curious on what the best way to logistically explore the area is.

Cities on my list are Udon, Ubon, Korat, Khon Kaen, Roi Et, and Nong Khai. I've been to Udon Thani and understand to really see Isaan, I need to leave the cities and explore the villages. I plan to get an IDL and rent a car for this purpose.

I looked up a ~4 week rental on Budget and Hertz and the quotes are in the range of 35,000 THB ... yikes. Is the recommendation to use transit (fly, bus, train) to go between the cities, use the cities as hubs, and rent a car to leave the cities?

Please also comment if you think I should add other areas to my itinerary or skip over some of the cities listed.

Best, by car of course, but if getting a 'yikes' maybe not for you.  Do you have a motorcycle license, then public trans to the cities, and rent a MC/scooter when there.  

Train or bus, (I'd pick train), runs to & through Korat, KK, UT & NK.  If not MC license, then I'd rent the car.

Depends where else you've been to Thailand, and interest, but if been to UT, then Korat, KK & Ubon aren't much different and I personally would waste a month in Isan.   Especially if comin in smog season.

It doesn't get a lot of int'l tourist for a reason.  Again, depends on your interests.

Driving a car or a motorcycle is the best way to explore Isaan since the public transport here, to be honest, is poorly developed. Even Thais who are not local often have a hard time navigating through the public transport system.

A month is going to be too long.  You quickly find there is a definite sameness to almost all Isarn Cities and rural areas.   I would pick three or four distinct provinces and then do them one or two at a time, maybe going by day bus from Bangkok and renting a vehicle locally.  Were I to pick 4, it would be Nong Khai, Loei, Petchabun and Nahkon Phanom but not in one trip.

• Like 1

My opinion having been to these places

Ubon - nice but a long drive from Udon.

Korat so so.

Khon Kaen is good.

Nong Khai cool but quiet.

Roi Et not been

Loei pretty cool.

Bueng Khan cool.

Nakhon Phanom, That Phanom, Muk just average.

I would do this instead

Fly Udon 2 nights. Hire car 1 month from Lek. Get a 4wd Toyota or Mitsub. Drive Nong Khai 2 or 3 nights. Head west to Chiang Khan. 3 nights. Drive Phua Ruea, Lom Sak, Phetchabun, Phitsanulok, Sukhothai. Loop back to Udon via Khon Kaen.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks everyone for your replies! This is super helpful.

As a result of your suggestions, I think I will modify my plans to focus on a few provinces specifically and exploring those areas deeper, rather than spreading myself out trying to hit the entire Isaan area. I also hear the concern that Isaan can be a lot of the same and not enough to fill 4 weeks - my plan is to spend as much time as needed in Isaan and the remainder in BKK.

I will do some more research, but right now I might fly in to Udon, rent a car, and stick to the Udon, Loei, Khon Kaen, and Nong Khai areas.

Edited by fred2028
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Expat68 said:

Not sure where you aim to start and finish.

A good route would be:

Udon Thani - Nong Kai - Chiang Khan (follow the Mekhong) - Tha Li - Loei - Wangaphun - Phukradeung - Petchabun - Khon Kaen

Plenty of villages en route 

That comes close to what I would suggest.

Come and see the nature.

As others write, the cities are somewhat similar and not too interesting to spend a lot of time.

Chiang Khan skywalk overlooking Mekhong over to Laos.

Khao Yai at the entrance to Isaan is worth. Petchabun is nice although just west of Isaan.

For the parks, waterfalls, Mekhong etc. it much depends on your date of travel.

Can either be crowded like mad or waterfalls drying out, Chinese cutting Mekhong low you can almost walk over.

Four weeks is really too much for just this region.

You could consider doing a whole Thailand round-trip in this time.

Do you have experience with driving in Thailand?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Northstar1 said:

Big mistake! You’ll understand why the gals leave to become?????

Yes they go to Bangkok for the vibrant city life and cultural experience.
They go to Pattaya for the beach life and islands:cheesy:.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, watgate said:

Myself and my wife are going on a 7 night car tour of Isaan with a great driver who we hired to drive us around Isaan. He is from Chiang Mai, where we used to live, and used him several times while living there to take us around different parts of Thailand. He is going to travel from Chiang Mai, pick us up in Buriram, and our trip around Isaan will begin. He is from Isaan originally so he is very familiar with Isaan. We pretty much are going to head up to the Mekong river and follow it as we proceed through Isaan. He has a set route and we will be staying at hotels each night along the way. We are going to head up to Chiang Rai to see Phu Chi Fa and will wind up  finishing our trip in Chiang Mai. We will be spending a few nites in Chiang Mai seeing friends and visiting a few places we loved to go to when we lived there. Then we will head back to Buriram when our trip is finished.

Our driver is great. He is very personable, speaks excellent english, and is a great tour guide, as well as driver. The trip is a little expensive, but well worth it considering all we get, and it  should be a great trip.

Buriram to Chiang Rai is a long way.

• Thanks 1

The thing with driving is you get sick of it after a week if only 1 driver. I know I do. Much better with 2 drivers. It makes you tired because you have to concentrate more on unfamiliar roads.

A week around Loei including Phetchabun would be the best weekly trip. Udon-nk-chiang khan-phetchabun-udon.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, watgate said:

Myself and my wife are going on a 7 night car tour of Isaan with a great driver who we hired to drive us around Isaan. He is from Chiang Mai, where we used to live, and used him several times while living there to take us around different parts of Thailand. He is going to travel from Chiang Mai, pick us up in Buriram, and our trip around Isaan will begin. He is from Isaan originally so he is very familiar with Isaan. We pretty much are going to head up to the Mekong river and follow it as we proceed through Isaan. He has a set route and we will be staying at hotels each night along the way. We are going to head up to Chiang Rai to see Phu Chi Fa and will wind up  finishing our trip in Chiang Mai. We will be spending a few nites in Chiang Mai seeing friends and visiting a few places we loved to go to when we lived there. Then we will head back to Buriram when our trip is finished.

Our driver is great. He is very personable, speaks excellent english, and is a great tour guide, as well as driver. The trip is a little expensive, but well worth it considering all we get, and it  should be a great trip.

7 days, that's a rushed trip. especially if you're going to sticking to the river part of the way.  You may want to reconsider that.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, bignok said:

The thing with driving is you get sick of it after a week if only 1 driver. I know I do. Much better with 2 drivers. It makes you tired because you have to concentrate more on unfamiliar roads.

A week around Loei including Phetchabun would be the best weekly trip. Udon-nk-chiang khan-phetchabun-udon.

Having visited Loei and Phetchabun in the same trip (had friends living in both places) I would agree with that. 

I was lucky enough to be driven by one of said friends although I got to his place in Loei by bus from Pattaya, then flew back to DMK.

11 hours ago, fred2028 said:

As a result of your suggestions, I think I will modify my plans to focus on a few provinces specifically and exploring those areas deeper, rather than spreading myself out trying to hit the entire Isaan area. I also hear the concern that Isaan can be a lot of the same and not enough to fill 4 weeks - my plan is to spend as much time as needed in Isaan and the remainder in BKK.

I will do some more research, but right now I might fly in to Udon, rent a car, and stick to the Udon, Loei, Khon Kaen, and Nong Khai areas.

Sounds like a good plan. I lived in Udon Thani for 3 years and found some great places to visit. I'll run a list up for you later. 

In the mean time look up UD Car Rent at https://www.ud-carrent.com I've had great service from them in the past. BTW you do not need an IDP.

Edited by Moonlover

Explore one "village" in Issaan and you've pretty much seen the lot. local markets etc are essentially the same everywhere. Cities have more of a uniqueness and interest, particularly so if a festival is taking place.

1 hour ago, bignok said:
5 hours ago, watgate said:

Expand  

Buriram to Chiang Rai is a long way.

Agreed, you are not going to have much time for Isaan if you do this trip. Chaing Rai is a night, Pu Chee fa also a night. If you are there why to go to Chiang Khong on the Mekong as well. 

This winter we flew to Nakorn Panom and rented a great one year old Yaris that got 20 kilometers per litre for 750 baht a day. Did NKP/That Panom, Mukdahan, Sakorn, Nong Khai and back to NKP. Lovely and made all the better by cool season. Temps were 14-28 degrees, literally heaven

14 hours ago, bignok said:

My opinion having been to these places

Ubon - nice but a long drive from Udon.

Korat so so.

Khon Kaen is good.

Nong Khai cool but quiet.

Roi Et not been

Loei pretty cool.

Bueng Khan cool.

Nakhon Phanom, That Phanom, Muk just average.

I would do this instead

Fly Udon 2 nights. Hire car 1 month from Lek. Get a 4wd Toyota or Mitsub. Drive Nong Khai 2 or 3 nights. Head west to Chiang Khan. 3 nights. Drive Phua Ruea, Lom Sak, Phetchabun, Phitsanulok, Sukhothai. Loop back to Udon via Khon Kaen.

THAT was a nice suggestion even though you missed out big time from the Isaan-trip

14 hours ago, fred2028 said:

Petchabun is great area to on the border to Isaan. 

Travelling alone?