Most Thai People Still Want Students to Wear School Uniforms, According to Nida Poll

webfact

image.jpeg

According to a National Institute of Development Administration (Nida) survey, 80.53% of the survey respondents say they still want Thai students to stick to wearing standardized school uniforms.

The poll, conducted from June 21st to 23rd with 1,310 respondents aged over 15 years old, saw that 59.47% of the respondents stating they support the continuation of the school dress code enforcement.

A significantly lower percentage, 20.69%, suggested that students should be allowed to wear alternative attire (such as casual wear) during special casual days. Meanwhile, only 4.73% advocate for the entire cancellation of the school dress code.

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/06/25/most-thai-people-still-want-students-to-wear-school-uniforms-according-to-nida-poll/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-06-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This survey doesn't say anything. Would have better asked students from 12-18 yo. 

Im sure the outcome would be different.

Me, personally I would not opt for uniforms. the material is not cotton but kind of plastic and not good for sensitive skin. Many Govt know this and are not going the military look either

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Most students I know actually like their uniforms, turning each day into a fashion parade and highlighting the "have" and "have nots" is not the way to go.

Yep, leave the fashion parade to the lady teachers at assembly every morning lol

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Clearly they didn't poll the student activist organization known as "Bad Student", who claim that their first dictatorship is School.

Uniforms, like prostration and mandatory hair-styles, are vestiges of the past and not proven to enhance the educational experience.

All the reasons given to support uniforms are flawed. Every student knows who is richer/poorer and where they fit in the Thai social pyramid. A uniform is not the Great Equalizer most readily claim. And then there are multiple uniforms: standard, sport, scout, paramilitary which increase cost.

I'll give it up for a polo shirt, shorts or slacks (unisex, skirts optional) and choice of footwear. Control of hair-styles has been liberalized and society hasn't collapsed. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Most students I know actually like their uniforms, turning each day into a fashion parade and highlighting the "have" and "have nots" is not the way to go.

I agree.... In my experience here in Chaiyaphum, it is actually for many families a matter of money and expenses.... The uniform for a year maybe cost something like 1.500 baht including everything!!! While having "free expression" like somebody mention will cost probably many many many of thousands of bath each year... Yes there will be no end to that crap when fashionable girls will dress up to school... So military behavior or not, for me I do not care a bit,,, uniforms seems to be a very good way to go for U-countries like Thailand and the likes of them...

• Like 2

Most weeks what is conventionally thought of as "School Uniform" ( white shirt with shorts or skirt) is only worn two days a week. The other outfits are sports kit, scout/guides and Friday " national dress. From M4 up Army Cadets takes over from scouts, although it is optional not mandatory.

I have no particular gripe about wearing uniforms, the arguments for and against are well rehearsed and have roughly equal merit; although I agree that the polyester materials are not that well suited to the climate. 

Scouts and guides are a reasonable concept, although they could do with losing the emphasis on foot drill - apart from anything else it is a pointless exercise if done badly, and most of the teachers are, as a Guardsman would say, "idle". Camping, hiking,  living in the field, adventurous training and first aid are all good subjects for teenagers. Learning how to "present arms" with white painted hiking sticks not so much!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

A uniform is not the Great Equalizer most readily claim.

Really.

60 years ago they were objecting to school uniform in the UK, but out of school they wanted to dress the same and with the same haircut, or lack of it.

"Male mods wore button-down white shirts, Levi jeans, trendy puppy shoes and parka coats "

https://relcolondon.com/blogs/style/difference-between-mods-rockers

School uniform is an equaliser and takes away any controversy over innappropriate dress. The real issues are that costs should be controlled and uniform is fit for purpose.

I spent 14 years of my life in uniform and still remember the marks on my neck from the collar studs.

50 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Most weeks what is conventionally thought of as "School Uniform" ( white shirt with shorts or skirt) is only worn two days a week. The other outfits are sports kit, scout/guides and Friday " national dress. From M4 up Army Cadets takes over from scouts, although it is optional not mandatory.

I have no particular gripe about wearing uniforms, the arguments for and against are well rehearsed and have roughly equal merit; although I agree that the polyester materials are not that well suited to the climate. 

Scouts and guides are a reasonable concept, although they could do with losing the emphasis on foot drill - apart from anything else it is a pointless exercise if done badly, and most of the teachers are, as a Guardsman would say, "idle". Camping, hiking,  living in the field, adventurous training and first aid are all good subjects for teenagers. Learning how to "present arms" with white painted hiking sticks not so much!

As very few are actually in the scouts or guides forcing them to dress up in whats really paramilitary uniforms is certainly not a reasonable concept, but the very worst part of this nonsense.

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Yes I don't like school uniforms, but they are better/smaller problem than the fashion parade and bullying of the poor kids.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, cdnhawk said:

It's ridiculous to have to wear a school uniform at the university level.

I agree....but it's a symbol of the totalitarian structure that has been installed here in Thailand for decades...uniforms mean authority...government officers all have uniforms with military like epaulets on their shoulders

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, proton said:

As very few are actually in the scouts or guides forcing them to dress up in whats really paramilitary uniforms is certainly not a reasonable concept, but the very worst part of this nonsense.

what against paramilitary uniforms?

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Most students I know don't like their uniforms. The 'fashion parade' starts before the kids arrive at the gate, some are dropped off by motorbikes, some by BMW's. Uniforms is so fascist, Hitler Jugendish, when worn in totalitarian countries.

4 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

Most students I know don't like their uniforms. The 'fashion parade' starts before the kids arrive at the gate, some are dropped off by motorbikes, some by BMW's. Uniforms is so fascist, Hitler Jugendish, when worn in totalitarian countries.

I am no fan from school uniforms but from school uniform to Hitler Jugend??? Are the Buddhist monks also all fascists? As they have their uniform?

6 minutes ago, h90 said:

I am no fan from school uniforms but from school uniform to Hitler Jugend??? Are the Buddhist monks also all fascists? As they have their uniform?

Do the Budhist monks you talk about live in a totalitarian country?

I like to see pupils in uniform. It can be useful, like warning traffic it's time to slow down.

It also deprives the anti-cannabis lobby of an excuse as weed shops will certainly not sell to pupils in uniform.

20 minutes ago, madmitch said:

I've just agreed with a post from @h90. That's a first.

Thais do seem to be uniform-crazy, whether it's civil servants, university students or the staff in Homepro or 7-Eleven. 

I'm fine with one school uniform but it is time they dumped that 1920s scout outfit!

I'll try my best that it doesn't happen again ????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

Really.

60 years ago they were objecting to school uniform in the UK,

From my recollection grammar school, technical school and private schools all had uniforms. They all travelled on the bus together. I don't remember anyone complaining. They were all home by 4.45pm. Then they could wear what they want after school.