Married in farangland, divorced in court in TH, but according to my embassy, I am still married for them

john donson

I am divorced now for several years.

Ex started the divorce procedure and all.

I expected she would have also done the needed steps for the embassy.

Sadly she got citizenship after a few years in farangland... doing nothing off course... no test, no money in the bank, ...

I am not remarrying anymore, nor do I have plans to return to farangland.

I did not bother to do the whole mfa certification, translation, stamps this and that as I assumed ex would have done, being a citizen and wanted her freedom and all.

Any repercussion for me if I never checked till now for my status.

What does she have to gain? Widow pension if I die ?  We are divorced for TH and living in TH...

Embassy does trust Thai papers from official government as much as ampure need a certified copy by the embassy of a passport that delivered...

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How could your wife complete a divorce in Thailand without your being involved in it unless she did it in court?  Ending a Thai marriage at the amphur does not require "the whole mfa certification, translation, stamps this and that".   I did mine just by turning up at the amphur with a witness (I think) with her and signing whatever was put in front of me.

Were you originally married in Thailand or abroad?

Interesting. I was married in the British Embassy in Bangkok over thirty years ago. The marriage certificate was translated into Thai and registered at the District Office? I doubt a divorce in the District Office would override the British Embassy marriage. Any thoughts? No. I am not contemplating divorce but have been tempted sometimes.???? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

If you are not planning to get married ever again in Thailand, just forget about the whole matter. Just assume you're divorced. If your ex-wife gets married again in Thailand and discovers she is still married to you, then go to an ampheur office together and get divorced. It's not a problem here.

Edited by renaissanc
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

You need a certified translation of the divorce decree. Then you can submit it to the appropriate authorities in the UK. It can affect her access to your pension and assets in the UK.

I don't think the OP is from the UK.

• Thanks 1

If I understand your post, you were married overseas and divorced in Thailand. Legally you are divorced in Thailand, but still married overseas. As other posters have said, you need to translate/certify and submit your divorce to the appropriate overseas authorities. Essentially the same as you did to register your overseas marriage in Thailand, but in the opposite direction.

It could affect any pensions or benefits you receive from your home country if you are assessed at the married rate versus the single rate. But, then again, probably not. All you need to have done is to say you have been separated for 2 years or so.

5 hours ago, CecilM said:

The divorce has to be made in farangland. No? (For the ex, a divorce in Th is “enough”. If I were you, I’d submit divorce documents at home too.)

This can negatively effect your pension (pension pot transfer)

I did mention my ex got citizenship, in farangland, as we were married in farangland , lived there a few years then moved to TH, did court divorce as there was children and property involved, you don't do that in ampur unless you have neither children not property...

I am 15 years away from pension

I will probably not get any anyway as most independents or working overseas without contributing to the home country social security...

and why would I have contributed?  I did not get any child allowance as we did not live in farangland...

foreigners. living in my country, claiming they have children, living in the foreign country, get child allowance from government, me, original and contributed in the past, did get nothing at all since moving

I have no assets left in farangland either...

don't plan to move back either, full or islam immigrants milking the system, seems it was invented for them to be milked... 

ex is also citizen , but if she remarries any nationality that is not mine, she will not have to report... well I thought she would have done the needed things as she wanted her freedom, abandoned her child to go f around, not that she did not do during the marriage...

• Sad 1

I do not know nor understand how it works in your countries like UK and USA, but for us in Sweden, it is OF COURSE that you have to marry in Thailand AND falangland and you have to divorce also in Thailand AND falangland....

Sweden do not get a <deleted> until you approach them with marriage or divorce and the same goes for Thailand.. So do not take for grantage that either country communicate with each other forget it... You have to do the paperwork in BOTH countries OF COURSE......

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

Ex-lawyer here.

I'm exiting this chat because the OP has still failed to tell us which country he is from.

There is no such country called "Farangland". Every country has a different legal system, which means every country has a different way of dealing with marriage issues.

What possible advice can he expect from us?

Comfort perhaps.

On 6/27/2023 at 8:15 AM, renaissanc said:

If you are not planning to get married ever again in Thailand, just forget about the whole matter. Just assume you're divorced. If your ex-wife gets married again in Thailand and discovers she is still married to you, then go to an ampheur office together and get divorced. It's not a problem here.

I'm quite sure that is not correct. Folks can only get a divorce in the same country in which they were married and header says: 'Married in farangland'.

As others have said, if he has no intention of remarrying, just forget about and get on with life.

• Confused 1

On 6/26/2023 at 7:28 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

How could your wife complete a divorce in Thailand without your being involved in it unless she did it in court?  Ending a Thai marriage at the amphur does not require "the whole mfa certification, translation, stamps this and that".   I did mine just by turning up at the amphur with a witness (I think) with her and signing whatever was put in front of me.

Me to cost me 30 Bhat, she paid. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 11:33 AM, Moonlover said:

I'm quite sure that is not correct. Folks can only get a divorce in the same country in which they were married and header says: 'Married in farangland'.

That just isn't true. Individual countries may have their own idiosyncracies when it comes to divorce and marriage, but for the most part they follow some broad principles.

One, called "comity of nations", means that they generally accept civil acts from other countries (unless they violate pubic policy, like a bigamous or incestuous or underage marriage). So, if you get married in one country, you're still married when you go to another country. Without this concept, people would have to keep repeating things like marriage, divorce, and birth registrations every time they moved to another jurisdiction.  

Another principle is that the authority in the best position - and with the clearest legal authority - to adjudicate civil matters is the authority in the place where the affected parties reside or are physically located. That means that it's perfectly normal and acceptable for a couple to marry in one country, and then divorce in a different country that they happen to be living in years later. This is why we used to see so many "quickie Dominican divorces" for US couples back when divorce in the USA was difficult.

The issue for the OP - assuming he's not just trolling - may be that his country requires some kind of paperwork to be filed to officially put them on notice that he's legally divorced. This would be similar to how things are done in Thailand, where you are certainly considered "married" after getting married abroad, but you can't use that marriage for any local legal purpose (like a spouse visa) without depositing the foreign certificate at an amphur and having it recorded locally. This is more typically seen in civil law countries than in countries following the common law.

• Like 1

I divorced from a Thai wife in Thailand recently, I had a lawyer draft an asset list which everything is split 50/50. We took this to the local Government office where we both signed along with official Thai  divorce papers and in front of 2 witnesses. They gave us both a divorce certificate and another paper to myself incase I wanted to re marry in the Kingdom. I must check to see if I should notify my Embassy of my new status. My ex has residency in my country which means she can move there anytime she likes, live and work as she pleases. She doesnt have to do 90 day reports, doesnt need a visa or a work permit if she decides to work. She can buy a house outright if she chooses and after a few years of residency is entitled to all the rights of a citizen. 

2 hours ago, paul1804 said:

I divorced from a Thai wife in Thailand recently, I had a lawyer draft an asset list which everything is split 50/50. We took this to the local Government office where we both signed along with official Thai  divorce papers and in front of 2 witnesses. They gave us both a divorce certificate and another paper to myself incase I wanted to re marry in the Kingdom. I must check to see if I should notify my Embassy of my new status. My ex has residency in my country which means she can move there anytime she likes, live and work as she pleases. She doesnt have to do 90 day reports, doesnt need a visa or a work permit if she decides to work. She can buy a house outright if she chooses and after a few years of residency is entitled to all the rights of a citizen. 

And that's exactly why they marry foreigners, to keep their options open and the benefits of our countries are far more than they get here!

On 6/26/2023 at 6:47 PM, john donson said:

I am divorced now for several years.

Ex started the divorce procedure and all.

I expected she would have also done the needed steps for the embassy.

Sadly she got citizenship after a few years in farangland... doing nothing off course... no test, no money in the bank, ...

I am not remarrying anymore, nor do I have plans to return to farangland.

I did not bother to do the whole mfa certification, translation, stamps this and that as I assumed ex would have done, being a citizen and wanted her freedom and all.

Any repercussion for me if I never checked till now for my status.

What does she have to gain? Widow pension if I die ?  We are divorced for TH and living in TH...

Embassy does trust Thai papers from official government as much as ampure need a certified copy by the embassy of a passport that delivered...

And where is Farangland?

Is it a new republic?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, paul1804 said:

50/50 split

in my case that would be half of my life savings

and 0 percent of the 2 houses I paid/was paying

far split... right... 

you have till the court jester brings you the papers that the other party want to divorce you, to make it magically and legally disappear...

12 minutes ago, john donson said:

western european country

You are narrowing it down...

But it is still absolutely useless information. Every country has an entirely different legal system. In fact, the UK alone has several different legal systems; an English lawyer has no idea about Scottish law for divorces.

13 minutes ago, john donson said:

that should be good enough

No. 

• Like 2