New passport while on visa exempt

Hi guys,

Here is my situation: I last arrived in Bangkok on visa exempt and had it extended for 30 days.

In the meantime, I applied for a new passport (EU citizen) and managed to get it done here which I received last week.

They canceled my old passport, gave it back to me along with my new passport.

Question: Do I have to transfer the stamp at Bkk's immigration, or can I just go to the airport with both passports to exit the country?

Thank you

I would check with your IO if I was you, One time I did and extension which is for a year,but my passport only had 8 months remaining, so I thought , no problem I will go and have the stamp transfered to my new passport. Guess what ? No can do!! the visa expires with the passport. 

I know my situation was a bit different than yours. Bu I would not take a chance if I was you.

• Haha 1

Just now, sirineou said:

I would check with your IO if I was you, One time I did and extension which is for a year,but my passport only had 8 months remaining, so I thought , no problem I will go and have the stamp transfered to my new passport. Guess what ? No can do!! the visa expires with the passport. 

I know my situation was a bit different than yours. Bu I would not take a chance if I was you.

Good advice, will definitely try to call the immigration office tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

If leaving by air, do it at the airport. If leaving by land, you can also do it as you leave Thailand, but there tends to be a designated official to do the stamp transfers from old to new passport. At small crossings, you could be waiting a long time if he is tied up in a meeting or something. Late in the day, you might even be told you cannot do it until the following morning.

5 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Do I have to transfer the stamp at Bkk's immigration, or can I just go to the airport with both passports to exit the country?

Don't waste time re immigration office.

Just exit Thailand via airport no issue.

Yes show both pp. 

They may transfer your visa exempt entry stamp and extension stamp.

Either way no problem

Edited by DrJack54
  • Love It 1

14 hours ago, sirineou said:

Perhaps irrelevant to the OP, your experience doesn't seem to match what happens to others as:

(1) Any extension given will never exceed the expiration date of your passport (if one is applying for one-year extension and your passport expires in 8 months, your new extension will only be for 8 months); and

(2) An extension does not expire when you get a new passport (it and a re-entry permit can be easily transferred into the new passport).

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, CMBob said:

Perhaps irrelevant to the OP, your experience doesn't seem to match what happens to others as:

(1) Any extension given will never exceed the expiration date of your passport (if one is applying for one-year extension and your passport expires in 8 months, your new extension will only be for 8 months); and

(2) An extension does not expire when you get a new passport (it and a re-entry permit can be easily transferred into the new passport).

Isn't that what I also said?

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, sirineou said:

Guess what ? No can do!! the visa expires with the passport.

1 hour ago, CMBob said:

Yes it is what you said. 

1 hour ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

Thank you all for your responses.

As suggested, I will just go to the airport and they should be able to manage with both passports.

I'll report when I'm back from my trip if there was any issues or not. 

You'll be fine. They'll send you from the exit immigration counter to a special desk, where they will do the passport transfer and stamp you out in your new passport. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes, but allow some extra time just in case.

36 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Hats off to the OP's home country for letting him have a new passport within 60 days!???? Would never have happened had he been a Brit☹️

Bit off topic but cop this...

Few months back I asked Thai partner to go renew her expired pp.

So next day trotted off to local place that can accept application.

Now the punch line. 

The new pp was EMS mailed to our condo two days later.

I would beg for 3/4 weeks in Oz. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Hats off to the OP's home country for letting him have a new passport within 60 days!???? Would never have happened had he been a Brit☹️

Its a complete gamble... 

Nov 2021 - 3 weeks (they stated up to 8 weeks).

April 2023 - 7 weeks (they stated up to 11 weeks).

Thai's can get it done within a couple of days. 

So can we (in the UK) but we have to book an appointment well in advance, state a valid reason (i.e. imminent travel) and pay through the nose for 'fast track'....  it can even be done the same day paying more through a 'bigger nose' for 'faster fast track'..... 

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its a complete gamble... 

Nov 2021 - 3 weeks (they stated up to 8 weeks).

April 2023 - 7 weeks (they stated up to 11 weeks).

Thai's can get it done within a couple of days. 

So can we (in the UK) but we have to book an appointment well in advance, state a valid reason (i.e. imminent travel) and pay through the nose for 'fast track'....  it can even be done the same day paying more through a 'bigger nose' for 'faster fast track'..... 

Indeed, you can book a couple of months in advance to get a passport renewal done the same day on the basis of having to travel immediately in an emergency. (And people say Thai bureaucracy is illogical.)

13 hours ago, OJAS said:

I was surprised I could get it done as well haha.

French citizen. Took just under 1 month to get the passport. It takes 3 months to do so in France... They give priority for people abroad, who obviously need passports in a timely manner.

But, you need an appointment which you make online and has to be at least 3 weeks in advance. So, 2 months is about right in total.

On 7/3/2023 at 9:26 PM, OJAS said:

It is a bit of a lottery.  A friend of mine got his UK PP back within a month.  I applied a week before him and got it a week later, so it was 6 weeks for me.