Temperature in elevator machine room

Even if most electric machines are rated to work in 40 degree Celsius environment every degree below would extend its lifetime (from what I read).

A) So, what do they do in your condo? Nothing? AC? Ventilation?

B) What would be the optimal situation, considering AC costs money as well...

For about a year, in our condo the solution was to just open the door to the machine room (under the hot roof), temp exceeding 40 degrees Celsius in April and May for quite some time...

Only after massive complaining they changed back to AC yet refusing to optimize it (yes I know, this is Thailand)...

Where is the heat coming from ? How many machines?

The hoisting motors,controllers or something else?

Cheapest solution would be to install  roof mounted fan driven extractors. Could be controlled by thermostat or timer.

Edited by norbra

12 minutes ago, norbra said:

Where is the heat coming from ? How many machines?

The hosting motors,controllers or something else?

Cheapest solution would be to install  roof mounted fan driven extractors. Could be controlled by thermostat or timer.

From the OP's "the machine room (under the hot roof)" it would suggest the heat radiating from a thin, un-insulated machine room ceiling is adding to any heat being generated by the lifting gear inside the machine room.

I agree that some form of forced air circulation would be a first step. The control room doors should also have louvers on the lowest panels so that cooler air is drawn in there and the rising hot air extracted near the top.

• Thumbs Up 1

When you have day maximum temperatures 38 degree (as ytd), morning min 29 (this morning, taken from tmd) and 3 elevator machines running the heat is just there, especially under the roof, on days without wind...

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

From the OP's "the machine room (under the hot roof)" it would suggest the heat radiating from a thin, un-insulated machine room ceiling is adding to any heat being generated by the lifting gear inside the machine room.

I agree that some form of forced air circulation would be a first step. The control room doors should also have louvers on the lowest panels so that cooler air is drawn in there and the rising hot air extracted near the top.

If the door/s are required to be fire rated then can only install louvrers with effective auto fire control closing device fitted.

I doubt that the elevator landing doors would have draught stopping seals so plenty of ambient temp air available to feed the forced air extractors in machine room

Edited by norbra