Thailand forcing Cashless Society

Jenkins9039

When i first moved to LOS, there was ATM's absolutely everywhere, 2-3 outside 7/11, rows inside robinsons, the malls, etc.

Increasingly its becoming difficult to find ATMs or worse ones that actually work (thankfully PTT).

Thailand is still very much a cash based society, curious how people are finding this ramp up, i.e every small 7/11 being closed and large 7/11's being opened, no ATM's etc.

• Confused 8
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Outside banks, there still seems to be plenty of ATM's. I prefer those in case the ATM decides to swallow my card.

I have yet to see a day market stall that is armed with an EFTPOS machine, so I think cash will be around for a while yet.

They use smartphones... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally I only was once forced to use cashless payment, for one espresso in Starbugs. They didn't want my 100B note. That's another reason not to go there. 

Well, it's a reason to not use that branch, there are plenty of other Starbucks that are happy with cash payments.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Thailand is still very much a cash based society, curious how people are finding this ramp up, i.e every small 7/11 being closed and large 7/11's being opened, no ATM's etc.

No it isn't, it's nearly a cashless society, following China. 

I need no cash these days. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Chivas said:

I'm quite happy within the UK to use the Debit Card for virtually everything and cash is hardly ever encountered but I'm not using one routinely within Thailand for a whole myriad of reasons

I was in the UK last month and when in Aberdeen, a Polish bus driver refused to take my coins. Only card, I used my Kasikorn Debit card by just touching the pay thing. 

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, Sandboxer said:

As long as short time can be paid by QR, who cares....

It's 2023. The only people who still need cash are criminals and folks who refuse to let go of archaic methods and probably still write checks ('Murica, lol). We can afford to leave those types behind us. Unnecessary baggage.

True that, my mother even uses Bitcoin. 

Criminals prefer cash is it is harder to trace. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Do non-Polish bus drivers accept cash, then?  If not, why mention where he came from?  Presumably it was nothing at all to do with his nationality or his refusing cash, more a policy of the bus company.

I mentioned it as there could be a communication problem or Polish people are lazy. Why do you think I mentioned it?

I used cash the next week, same route.

• Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Chivas said:

Am down in the South West now. Nearest Branch was 800 metres away of Royal Bank of Scotland lol

The nearest now is in Basingstoke lol 182 miles from me

I only found out when last year went to take £10k out cash and just wanted to notify them in advance

On the phone I'm getting Ahh Ahh Ahh Ahh sorry sir the nearest one to you now is Basingstoke ????

They've got an agreement with Nat West as it turned out but RBS had to notify them in advance and I had to upload passport driving licence so Nat West could compare when I went in

Why not use an English bank?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sandboxer said:

As long as short time can be paid by QR, who cares....

It's 2023. The only people who still need cash are criminals and folks who refuse to let go of archaic methods and probably still write checks ('Murica, lol). We can afford to leave those types behind us. Unnecessary baggage.

Obviously a city dweller.

In rural Kamphaeng Phet, 6 km from where I live, there is KBank with 3 ATM, a 7/11 with 1 ATM and a gold shop with 1 ATM.

If I go to the amphur village, there is the GSB bank with 3 ATM, a BAAC bank with 2 ATM, the 7/11 has 2 ATM. 2 km up the road at a PTT gas station there is a 7/11 with 2 ATM.

It all depends on whether you live in the city, urban or rural.

• Like 2