Mini bus driver caught on viral video threatening to hit foreigner with iron bar in Phuket

snoop1130

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed....  its so typical of these forums to get into debates about the inanely irrelevant.... 

As far as the reports state - they could not get the numberplate of the van itself... 

But how many 'Hat-Yai-World-Tour' vans can there actually be in operation.

Are the police even going to bother 'trace this guy (driver) or are they going to do what they usually do and ask him to turn himself in at the station so he can explain it was all a misunderstanding and it was only long piece of paper (poster) he was waving around !!!... 

1805793060_Screenshot2023-07-03at22_46_54.thumb.png.599b55db8cdceec0815f95a7b706aa09.png2009123704_Screenshot2023-07-03at22_46_26.png.e9f2b7bc462e9d8303bee67af5cbca58.png1251587880_Screenshot2023-07-03at22_45_28.png.c55e28cc2d34248d1e5f8b48e172fa93.png

Any Idea how much a world Tour is in a minibus?  :cheesy:  asking for a friend.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, stoner said:

probably not Hat Yai. article clearly says Haad Yai River Tour. 

like a mini bus that says trat must be from trad right. 

Always funny when someone without local knowledge comments on a local issue.

This company does minibus transfers, in this case to had Yai. Which makes it very likely the driver is from hat Yai too. Dispute most likely about the destination hotel. Customer booked at the office or agent, driver thinks it's out of the way and wants an additional charge.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed....  its so typical of these forums to get into debates about the inanely irrelevant.... 

As far as the reports state - they could not get the numberplate of the van itself... 

Are the police even going to bother 'trace this guy (driver) or are they going to do what they usually do and ask him to turn himself in at the station so he can explain it was all a misunderstanding and it was only long piece of paper (poster) he was waving around !!!... 

1805793060_Screenshot2023-07-03at22_46_54.thumb.png.599b55db8cdceec0815f95a7b706aa09.png2009123704_Screenshot2023-07-03at22_46_26.png.e9f2b7bc462e9d8303bee67af5cbca58.png1251587880_Screenshot2023-07-03at22_45_28.png.c55e28cc2d34248d1e5f8b48e172fa93.png

thanks for posting these pics. the original article has it as haad yai. which confused me as it could of been another area of thailand and not hat yai. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

This company does minibus transfers, in this case to had Yai. Which makes it very likely the driver is from hat Yai too. Dispute most likely about the destination hotel. Customer booked at the office or agent, driver thinks it's out of the way and wants an additional charge.

no one really uses haad yai so that's where the confusion came in. also i lived in hat yai for over 5 years so i would think i have a little local knowledge. 

Edited by stoner

Simple, force the van owner (that tour company) to reveal the full details of the driver, otherwise the license is revoked, together with the assigned van, until the matter is cleared. You would be surprised, how quickly Somchai is being torn on his hair into the police station by the tour company ........

But yeah, as the slogan goes "Amazing Thailand" or "Welcome to Thailand", the land of the semi-divine where absof"*=(=)?tely everything goes overboard in their racist thinking against alien, dirty farang, kaek (dark skinned) or check (Chinese).  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, stevenl said:

And the minibus is from where?

apart from being an irrelevant question, it could be from either Phuket, Haad Yai or somewhere in between. Also how did you get the idea that Haad Yai was an Island?  The name of the company on the minivan is Haad Yai River Tour, so perhaps that might give you a clue.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Taxi/Van/TukTuk drivers are the most aggressive bunch of people that I got to see in Thailand.

I whitnessed a TukTuk driver trying to hit a motorcyclist with a wood plank spiked with nails on a red light. On another occasion a van driver first pushed me off the line I was in and then because I honked on the next red light came out of his vehicle and stormed towards me, luckily I was able to ride away quickly.

The problem is the punishments for wrongdoing are a joke. This case here is attempted murder. Throw him in jail. But what will happen is he'll be fined 1000 baht as mentioned in the article. Boohoo just means he'll need to scam a few more passangers.

Agreed if you mean "Taxi/Van/TukTuk drivers in Phuket".  I rarely see especially aggressive drivers in other provinces. A few taxi drivers in Bangkok are aggressive or annoying though.

4 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

What's the ethnic angle there? They always report the nationality of the foreigners but this time I see a dark skinned person is involved and no mention of it.

I've always heard Thai's and Indians don't get along too well so maybe we're starting to see this play out as they appear in larger numbers as tourists.

If you read it all.....his name is Arabic/Muslim.

Very common in Singapore  

Not Indian.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Hat Yai World Tour seems to simply be the name of a transport company, (van & buses), with many routes, local & interprovince, and name may have no reference to the 'destination' or route of Hat Yai to/from Phuket.  Van & driver could easily be base in and never leave Phuket.

Funny when someone with local knowledge comments on and possibly gets it wrong.

15 hours ago, stevenl said:

No, read the tourist's explanation in the full story. Without knowing exactly what was discussed with the agency we don't know if the driver was in the right to ask for an additional charge. We do know his behaviour was in the wrong. 

You don't pull out an iron bar and threaten a passenger 1st offense, carrying a weapon in public, 2nd using threatening behavior, 3 offense attempting assault using a weapon.

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The usual " The tourist was using bad language and insulting him "