Induction cookers and frying pans?

jil

I've got a 1300 W induction cooker and I've got a big <deleted>-shaped frying pan that had initially a tefal layer/coating which almost disappeared in a period of 6 months.

Is this because of poor (Chinese) quality and should good quality frying pans be able to withstand the 800 - 1300 W range? Actually, what are the corresponding temparatures of this 800 - 1300 W range?

Finally, what kind of frying pans are the most suitable for induction cookers?

20 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Are you only using plastic or wooden utensils with the non stick pan? Using steel one can quickly scratch off the coating.

I even had that happen with a non stick Le Creuset milk saucepan and that wasn't cheap. Had to throw it away. So it can happen to even the best quality ones.

Now I use a wooden or plastic spatula with my non stick pots and pans.

I use "plastic" utensils so that cannot have caused the problem with the coating.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Cast iron.

Actually cast iron (surprisingly) is not the best, as it was explained to me by a techie knowing such things.  Sounded right to me, his explanation.   Aside from scratching the hell out of the glass top surface.

@jil

Any pan with iron, which you can test w/magnet should work, and most will have a designation when buying if able to use with induction.

And NO, those temps, are low, and shouldn't damage the pan or coating.  Throw that thing out, as you don't want to ingest teflon coating.  Which is actually supposed to be hard to do, from any half decent pan, unless coating is compromised.

We have heavy bottom iron/SS pans for the induction cooker.  Nice collection of cast irons, but we don't use on the induction cooker.  More as they would scratch the hell out of it, but I'll take my buddy's advice about them messing with the mechanics of the cooker, also.

Only have the 1 teflon pan, and only use on gas burner at low temps.  Not really a fan of teflon as most are krap, unless expensive, and don't last long.

Thrown too many away, unlike cast or SS, and have never needed to discard them.

This does not address the issue I was told about, but if going to use cast iron, then read this:

https://cookeryspace.com/does-cast-iron-work-on-induction-cooktops/

One plus about induction, you can easily control the temp, though not so easy if using cast iron.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jil said:

got a big <deleted>-shaped frying pan that had initially

????

I wrote the text above in my initial post. Didn't know the word "<deleted>" would be considered to be offensive/abusive...????

• Haha 1

Just now, jil said:

????

I wrote the text above in my initial post. Didn't know the word "<deleted>" would be considered to be offensive/abusive...????

Of course the word is getting deleted again...???? Anyway, the word starts with a "W", followed by "O" and the last letter is a "G"...????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, jil said:

????

Yes, use of A$$ will get you cancelled by your pot & kettles.  It's a PC world out there and in the kitchen.

1 minute ago, jil said:

Of course the word is getting deleted again...???? Anyway, the word starts with a "W", followed by "O" and the last letter is a "G"...????

I would have never guessed that, and still haven't a clue ????

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, jil said:

Have never heard of that shaped frypan .

You're not referring to a WOK by any chance?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jil said:

Actually now I realize I misspelled the word...???? It should of course have been a "WOK"-shaped frying pan...????

Well now, I feel better about my lack of proofreading.

Learn something new everyday ...

"wog1

noun

OFFENSIVE

BRITISH

a person who is not white."

What did he say ...

"2 great nations separated by a common language"

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rwill said:

Around 260°C teflon will start breaking down and release toxic chemicals into the air.

Very true. And several machinists who work Teflon claim that the resultant vapors make them nauseous if they smoke cigarettes immediately after working with it.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2023 at 7:03 AM, jil said:

I've got a 1300 W induction cooker and I've got a big <deleted>-shaped frying pan that had initially a tefal layer/coating which almost disappeared in a period of 6 months.

Is this because of poor (Chinese) quality and should good quality frying pans be able to withstand the 800 - 1300 W range? Actually, what are the corresponding temparatures of this 800 - 1300 W range?

Induction cookers work by agitating the molecules in the material and the friction makes the material hot with the heat being transferred to the food. Best material is steel based usually cast, enamel coated or ferritic stainless steel.

The 1300W is the max power the appliance will use and average power would depend on the energy regulator setting. The temperature achieved would depend on several factors, the energy regulator being the most significant, material, pan construction and amount of food would also come into play.

As far as non stick coating is concerned, that can be destroyed by inappropriate utensils or more usually, overheating.

It should be borne in mind that appliances controlled by an energy regulator will always achieve max temperature, it is the time at max temperature that is controlled. This is a bit different to the thermostatic control normally seen in an oven.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

My Tefal frying pan easily handles 1300 watt, I don't need more than that, i have another pot i use and go to 2,000 watt to boil water.

When you buy a pan it should say for Induction or show the induction sign. Stick to well known makes

I'll second this. I have tried various brands of frying pans and woks and no matter how good they look they seldom last long.

BUT .....the Tefal wok I bought has been an absolute trooper. Bought in almost three years ago and despite daily use , sometimes three times a day , still looks and performs almost as new. Nothing sticks to it. I paid 479 baht for it on Lazada :

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i602328663-s1134702540.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&tradePath=omItm&tradeOrderId=327075558604080&tradeOrderLineId=327075558704080&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

but when I saw one the same on sale at our local Big C for 250 baht a few months ago I didn't hesitate to buy as a spare. Use it almost exclusively for omelettes . One tip is to never use a scourer to clean. Soak a little then just use the sponge side not the green side. Eggs slide off with ease.

1 hour ago, Denim said:

I'll second this. I have tried various brands of frying pans and woks and no matter how good they look they seldom last long.

BUT .....the Tefal wok I bought has been an absolute trooper. Bought in almost three years ago and despite daily use , sometimes three times a day , still looks and performs almost as new. Nothing sticks to it. I paid 479 baht for it on Lazada :

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i602328663-s1134702540.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&tradePath=omItm&tradeOrderId=327075558604080&tradeOrderLineId=327075558704080&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

but when I saw one the same on sale at our local Big C for 250 baht a few months ago I didn't hesitate to buy as a spare. Use it almost exclusively for omelettes . One tip is to never use a scourer to clean. Soak a little then just use the sponge side not the green side. Eggs slide off with ease.

Not for Induction though 

• Thanks 1

Surprised no one has mentioned carbon steel. Most of the benefits of a cast iron pan but lighter, usually have a decent length handle that doesn't get red hot during use and unlikely to scratch the surface. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Not for Induction though 

Tefal do make a range of pots and pans that are suitable for induction cookers, and like any other pots and pans of their ilk they are made of some sort of aluminium mix, and they have steel studs embedded in the bottom of them which is why they work on induction cookers.

• Like 2

Over time and a lot off use the Non stick layer will come off no matter what ,even if you use a Plastic or wooden spatula  and don't Scrub the pan.

Just get the non stick out off it and use it like that like a Cast iron pan.

The amount off WATT you put trough the pan 800 or 2000 got nothing to do with how hot they get, they will All Boil/cook to a Hight Temp it all depends how much you put in the Pan.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Tefal do make a range of pots and pans that are suitable for induction cookers, and like any other pots and pans of their ilk they are made of some sort of aluminium mix, and they have steel studs embedded in the bottom of them which is why they work on induction cookers.

Yes i have a Tefal induction pan, just not the one in the link

• Thumbs Up 1