Thai Parliament Successfully Chooses House Speaker

webfact

New House Speaker Wan Noor’s Background
by TNR Staff

image.jpeg

PRACHACHART leader Wan Muhamad Noor Matha who was elected speaker of the House of Representatives as expected this morning (July 4) has been a key player in the Thai political arena for decades having already previously held this position once as well as a number ministerial posts, Naewna newspaper said.

His election to the top post of the legislative branch was unopposed and followed a joint late night press conference by Move Forward and Pheu Thai parties announcing that the eight coalition partners had reached an agreement to name Wan Noor for this position thus ending a tussle that dragged on for weeks.

Born on May 11, 1954 in Yala province, Wan Noor completed his upper secondary education at Islamic College of Thailand in Bangkok. He then obtained a bachelor’s degree in education from Chulalongkorn University after which with an Interior Ministry scholarship a master’s degree in education administration from this same university.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/07/04/new-house-speaker-wan-noors-background/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2023-07-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Wan Noor Unrivalled As House Speaker
By Thai Newsroom Reporters

image.jpeg

Wan Muhamad Noor Matha at Parliament today, July 4, 2023. Photos: Matichon

WAN MUHAMAD NOOR MATHA was today (July 4) unrivalled and named House speaker.

No other MPs were named to compete with Wan Noor for House speaker who concurrently assumes the post of Parliament President.

Given the top seat of the legislative branch, Wan Noor has already resigned as leader of the Prachachart, one of the eight coalition partners led by the Move Forward, confirmed Prachachart secretary-general/MP Tawee Sodsong.

His resignation as Prachachart leader was primarily intended to keep himself practically neutral whilst chairing varied meetings at parliament, Tawee said.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/07/04/wan-noor-unrivalled-as-house-speaker/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2023-07-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

14 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

A rather aged man who has been around forever.... Thailand struggles to break away from its old ways.  I was hoping for younger blood. 

Progress of a sort I suppose.

If the two front-runners are locking horns the 3rd choice prevails.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

hailing from Yala in the Deep South near Malaysia. He is 79-years-old, born on May 11th, 1944, and has.........

Born on May 11, 1954 in Yala province, Wan Noor completed his upper secondary.....

?

Calibre of reporting we've become accustomed to.

Sigh........

23 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

79 yrs old ... no wonder some countries can't move forward and nothing changes, as a bunch of old geriatrics at the helm.

He has been House Speaker before and has a reputation for fairness.

Really PT are to blame for the tussle of HS. Both Cholanan, the leader and Phumtam, a senior figure, insisted  prior the election that the party with the largest number of seats should have the HS position.

But when PT didn't reach that goal, Cholanan changed his mind. 

Under whose orders?  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bannork said:

He has been House Speaker before and has a reputation for fairness.

Really PT are to blame for the tussle of HS. Both Cholanan, the leader and Phumtam, a senior figure, insisted  prior the election that the party with the largest number of seats should have the HS position.

But when PT didn't reach that goal, Cholanan changed his mind. 

Under whose orders?  

But strange MF said they must have the speaker in case they can't get the PM to have at least the speaker.

Than they also said if they don't have the speaker they might get blocked changing the 112

Now they don't have the speaker and call it a success? As if PTP is their enemy...but in public they show hearts....

20 minutes ago, h90 said:

But strange MF said they must have the speaker in case they can't get the PM to have at least the speaker.

Than they also said if they don't have the speaker they might get blocked changing the 112

Now they don't have the speaker and call it a success? As if PTP is their enemy...but in public they show hearts....

Not their enemy but not their true friend.

PT are quite conservative at heart, no threat to the elite and business monopolies.

Only MF reach those parts of the electorate other parties cannot reach ( memories  of Heineken beer advert in the 60s/ 70s).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

A rather aged man who has been around forever.... Thailand struggles to break away from its old ways.  I was hoping for younger blood. 

Progress of a sort I suppose.

I disagree., wholeheartedly.  despite his age, he has experience in the role as house speaker, he is highly respected and you appear to fail to understand how age (and presumably the wisdom that comes with it, in many instances) is so highly regarded in Thailand. plus, there was a deadlock - this is an excellent way forward, in my view. finally, my Thai equity investments may soon reflect the settlement of such an important issue to the running of the Thai legislative assembly.

2 hours ago, paddypower said:

I disagree., wholeheartedly.  despite his age, he has experience in the role as house speaker, he is highly respected and you appear to fail to understand how age (and presumably the wisdom that comes with it, in many instances) is so highly regarded in Thailand. plus, there was a deadlock - this is an excellent way forward, in my view. finally, my Thai equity investments may soon reflect the settlement of such an important issue to the running of the Thai legislative assembly.

Well if he can say awake unlike his fellow  and younger colleague, maybe he can do some good.....