Why you should never leave a negative hotel review in Thailand

webfact

I once left a scathing, though 100% factual, review for a Bangkok hotel.  When reading about the Koh Chang episode I checked my old review with a view to deleting it until I noted the 1,000's of views.  Went walking the Google man past the address and the hotel site had been demolished, Asoke Towers now stands on that site.

I normally research places pretty well before dining or booking a room and have left 100's of positive reviews on both TripAdvisor and Google.

• Like 1

Thais do leave scathing comments and reviews, just not on google. They’ll use Thai discussion boards and they are quite crafty at it. Thai discussion boards are a good source of information 

Edited by novacova

50 minutes ago, McTavish said:

I once left a scathing, though 100% factual, review for a Bangkok hotel.  When reading about the Koh Chang episode I checked my old review with a view to deleting it until I noted the 1,000's of views.  Went walking the Google man past the address and the hotel site had been demolished, Asoke Towers now stands on that site.

I normally research places pretty well before dining or booking a room and have left 100's of positive reviews on both TripAdvisor and Google.

And sadly I wouldn't believe any of your reports, as I know that the system can be manipulated in the most ruthless fashion. Reading reports of doubtful veracity is just a waste of time.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I have, and simply need to word it correctly.

You could even make it comical ... with praise.

... thank you for not supplying toiletries, as we travel with our own.

... thank you not changing the soiled sheets/bed covering, as we travel with a top sheet.

... thank you not providing water to drink.

... so glad your restaurant had very small portions, as my spouse is overweight.

... thank you for not providing a lift.

... as all these keep your overhead low, and we didn't mind paying just a bit more than the other hotel that do provide those extras, as we only like walking up the 5 floors of steps, instead of using the elevator, for needed exercise.

It’s easier and safer to post nothing. Even a back handed ‘compliment’ in the manner you suggest can get you in trouble if deemed to be negative, which of course is exactly what your suggestions are meant to be.

• Sad 1

I usually write reviews for most hotels i stay, personally its about 70% excellent, 20% good, 10% scathing

Ive never thought about timing it but i do it well after checking out.

Havent been detained yet (i only found out about the thai defamation laws recently)

Maybe ive been lucky

Oh and my reviews are factual, unemotive and very direct, including staff names

• Like 1

f you reside here, best bet leave zero review and you pose no propblems for yourself, however if you are a tourist write the review afte you have left Thailands shores on sites that are active in your own country..

But in reality wpord of mouth is far better and safer and quicker in many cases.

• Like 1

Do not attack anyone personally, I have read many negative reviews and a few lies. A friend ran a guest house here in CM, people came and left he gets a review that there was no parking but the guest had no car. Also his information on the hotel indicated no parking so go figure.