Being wrong in this forum

18 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

It makes 'the most sense' to you, because you are not a particle physicist nor (I assume) are you facile with multi variable calculus, algebraic topology, Feynman tricks for solving complex integrals, or other high level mathematics and physics.

A thousand years ago, a flat Earth 'made the most sense' to people who could not conceptualize gravity. To particle physicists, your view is that of a Neo Flat Earther.

To those who are facile with those disciplines, no creator is necessary, and some combination of quantum field theory and gravity 'makes the most sense' to them.

And they are also ,like you, making guesses. Educated guesses yes, but still guesses. A thousand years ago, we didn't have space exploration, world travel, satellites, powerful telescopes and computers. We've come a long way, our scientists have, but they are still making guesses on a lot of things. A scientist excels in a field which you nor I are facile, and they can deduce a lot of things that we for now, cannot. It doesn't mean they are right with everything. They have not proven in any way that the universe was created with a big bang, and to you it might not make sense that we have a creator, but to millions of us, it does. We cannot yet prove it also, but like I mentioned, faith is what we go by, not other's guesses, even if they carry some possibilities. Matter can not come from nothing, period. Everything in this universe is composed of matter, electrons, protons, neutrons-- atoms. If it doesn't make sense to you, you are believing other, imperfect humans on what they believe to be true. Science is there to prove things to be true. Doesn't always work. God makes sense to me, because matter had to be created.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

thinking if they say they're confused, it's them thinking you're the one that's wrong.

I am guilty of that one, if I find a post either very offensive or disagreeable, I will give it a 'confused' -- or better 'frowning' -- emoji. Those posts are often that divisive, that answering to them would be just feeding the troll.

We are all adults here, so I think it would be better if there would be an actually 'thumbs down' instead... and visible to everybody who posted which emoji. Trolling will be reduced thus, while an opinion on the validity of a post can be given properly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

I'm not being deceitful. I meant the scientists that say there was a Big Bang, meaning everything came from a singularity, which is matter. Matter can not come from nothing. Guessing there has been more than one universe is an opinion, a guess. If there were more than one God, you would see evidence of them fighting for control. Our only God chooses to remain silent. It's called our faith, and isn't a subject for this post. You have your opinion, and you will see for yourself when you pass, and then it might be too late for you.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. No scientists are claiming there was nothing before the Big Bang. Big Bang is a theory on the initial expansion of this universe, not an attempt at explaining the beginning of existance.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Big Bang is a theory. One that hasn't been proven. I didn't say no scientists claimed there was nothing before this Big Bang, which may or may not have happened. I said matter has to come from something.  This from one place.................. Today, the consensus among scientists, astronomers and cosmologists is that the Universe as we know it was created in a massive explosion that not only created the majority of matter, but the physical laws that govern our ever-expanding cosmos.............................. My theory is one of common sense, that matter was created, and since there are a few billion who believe in God, they, along with I, believe that God created everything, which makes more sense than a Big Bang that just happened to create our universe. How did this Big Bang happen, if it wasn't from God? There are more theories about the universes creation. We as believers think that God created the heavens and the earth, meaning the universe also. Or did God create some things and the rest just happened?Try not to assume what others you've never met know. You are being naive if you believe in a scientist or two that made guesses. Yes, many scientists know quite a lot about space, and what is out there. But no one knows anything about why or how it happened beyond just assuming. Some assume there is the possibility of life on planets outside of our solar system. This without seeing the planets or knowing if they have an atmosphere. Some believe these scientists because they have been right on other things. Some of us are skeptical, and for good reason. If you believed in God, you would understand his power.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

I'm an advocate of an option you check box tick to that allows you to give negative insulting posts and accept them. After all we are all adults and can give and take abuse without harm.  Some of us can't handle it,  thus the option. 

I have just given you a "like".

I see no reason why there can't be an option (the same symbol but inverted?) that represents the opposite of it.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Enoon said:

I see no reason why there can't be an option (the same symbol but inverted?) that represents the opposite of it.

youtube has only 2 options ...  "thumbs up" or "thumbs down".

that system makes more sense to me. 

Edited by save the frogs

38 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

In many ways, online communication is much more authentic than real-life communication.

In real life, if you're sitting with someone in a cafe you may not want to tell the person you think their opinion is stupid because you don't want to offend them.

Since we're all anonymous avatars on here, we are more inclined to say what we really think. 

Real-life communication has way too much political correctness compared to online.

Really? The level on here is pretty low

• Love It 2

5 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Like I said Lou. I can explain it for you, I can’t understand it for you, that is up to you. I once put you on mute for a month or so because you attacked 4 people in one post for tiny attacks on their  comments without adding anything to the conversation and with a complete lack of humor or originality 

There's no need for you to have to explain anything to me, I understood what your comment meant, it wasn't difficult.  It was you who apparently didn't understand the accuracy of my response to it using your own words.

What you do on the forum regarding "mute" or "Ignore" means nothing to me, I do not care, but I will point out, once again, that my having a different view to others here and expressing it is not "attacking" those people, it's called having an opinion or, perhaps, exposing inaccuracies, inaccuracies that sometimes appear to be deliberately fallacious.  It's odd that you consider that comments such as those "add something" to the conversation.  It's also odd that you consider humour to be a requirement of posts and, as regards "originality", that it something that most posters seem to keep well away from.

3 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Big Bang is a theory. One that hasn't been proven. I didn't say no scientists claimed there was nothing before this Big Bang, which may or may not have happened. I said matter has to come from something.  This from one place.................. Today, the consensus among scientists, astronomers and cosmologists is that the Universe as we know it was created in a massive explosion that not only created the majority of matter, but the physical laws that govern our ever-expanding cosmos.............................. My theory is one of common sense, that matter was created, and since there are a few billion who believe in God, they, along with I, believe that God created everything, which makes more sense than a Big Bang that just happened to create our universe. How did this Big Bang happen, if it wasn't from God? There are more theories about the universes creation. We as believers think that God created the heavens and the earth, meaning the universe also. Or did God create some things and the rest just happened?Try not to assume what others you've never met know. You are being naive if you believe in a scientist or two that made guesses. Yes, many scientists know quite a lot about space, and what is out there. But no one knows anything about why or how it happened beyond just assuming. Some assume there is the possibility of life on planets outside of our solar system. This without seeing the planets or knowing if they have an atmosphere. Some believe these scientists because they have been right on other things. Some of us are skeptical, and for good reason. If you believed in God, you would understand his power.

The problem here is that there are many Gods ,around 3000 of them.

And for some reason people tend to believe in the God that is worshipped in the country that they were born.

I find that a bit too convenient.

If for some reason all religion and all scientific facts where lost then what would happen?

The new religions would be a bit or a lot different then what they are now.

On the other hand all Scientific facts will be exactly the same as now.

Why? Because facts are facts and they will remain the same.

How can you be so sure you are a believer in the one and only true God?

I have always found people who claim that to be very arrogant.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

and a belief in a god is ? Just a belief right? 

My theory is one of common sense, that matter was created, and since there are a few billion who believe in God, they, along with I, believe that God created everything, which makes more sense than a Big Bang that just happened to create our universe.

"...that God created everything, which makes more sense than a Big Bang..."

No, that does not "make more sense" pragmatically or as a sweeping generalism, it only makes sense to you and your fellow believers and that there may be billions of them doesn't mean that they are correct.

• Like 1

Being on this forum for a while, you can almost know what any one person is going to say, since everything talked about revolves around a handful of basic ideas. I maybe using the "confused" wrong, but I use it to say I still think you are wrong, but we have beat around this bush before, so why bother doing it again.

4 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Again, you show your complete lack of knowledge. A scientific theory isn't the same as Barry in the bar going, "I've got a theory 'bout that!". In order to qualify as a theory in science, there needs to be loads and loads of evidence backing it up, which of course is the case for the Big Bang. Gravity is a theory as well, but that doesn't mean we don't know how it works.

We don't know what preceded the Big Bang, and that's totally fine. Science doesn't claim to know everything, unlike religion ("God did it!").

"How did this Big Bang happen, if it wasn't from God?"

From a unicorn sneezing and farting at the same time. Or any other thing you can dream up that has exactly the same amount of evidence as your god (zero). And I don't have to assume what you know, since you won't seize to demonstrate your ignorance.

"Some assume there is the possibility of life on planets outside of our solar system. This without seeing the planets or knowing if they have an atmosphere."

What on Earth are you on about? We have other planets in our own solar system with atmospheres, and we were able to measure atmospheres on other planets using the Hubble telescope over 20 years ago. And of course we're going to make the assumption that there might be other planets out there that can support life.

You're just complete illitarate when it comes to science and the actual world. It's downright laughable ????