Teenage girl wants motorcycle

38 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Never ride a motor cycle anywhere or anytime is my rule.  Make sure you have enough money to support her for her entire life if she become seriously injured.

And I'm the opposite, adding up I'd estimate I've owned a car around four years of my life; always motorbikes ever since high school. Had company vehicles at times for work purposes; no intention of changing my ways now.

23 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Your choice but not the choice of many.

I've enjoyed over 18 years many a ride out on my motorbike in Thailand and find it perfectly safe choosing a certain route not main road routes, lots of people enjoy motorbikes.

Many here see it as a necessity.

Agreed... I know the subject is 'motorcycle'.. but expanding that to 'personal transport' there is another alternative IF the Op can afford it....  

image.png.d8ff07160d694ed0405e86ebd2616446.png

https://www.one2car.com/en/cars-for-sale?min_price=50000&max_price=200000&min_year=2015&max_year=2023&page_size=26&page_number=1

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed... I know the subject is 'motorcycle'.. but expanding that to 'personal transport' there is another alternative IF the Op can afford it....  

image.png.d8ff07160d694ed0405e86ebd2616446.png

https://www.one2car.com/en/cars-for-sale?min_price=50000&max_price=200000&min_year=2015&max_year=2023&page_size=26&page_number=1

Yeah I bought my daughter a car but she still nick my scoot or use her mums scoot for riding around the village.

Have to say that would worry me if we lived in a place like CM.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah I bought my daughter a car but she still nick my scoot or use her mums scoot for riding around the village.

Have to say that would worry me if we lived in a place like CM.

I don't think there is too much to worry about in the village, if riding carefully *(slowly) and wearing a helmet etc... risk is much lower....

But when getting into busier areas, the inexperience of the younger folk would be a great concern.... just doing things like going up the inside of a lorry when its turning left etc... and many other potential 'line of fire' opportunities they'll not think about or be aware of until they gain road experience. 

A motorcycle in any area busier than a quiet village is just too risky IMO...   All a person can do is their very best for them while also allowing them certain freedoms...  a cheap car is the best solution IMO but can the Op afford 200k for a car ?....  

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don't think there is too much to worry about in the village, if riding carefully *(slowly) and wearing a helmet etc... risk is much lower....

But when getting into busier areas, the inexperience of the younger folk would be a great concern.... just doing things like going up the inside of a lorry when its turning left etc... and many other potential 'line of fire' opportunities they'll not think about or be aware of until they gain road experience. 

A motorcycle in any area busier than a quiet village is just too risky IMO...   All a person can do is their very best for them while also allowing them certain freedoms...  a cheap car is the best solution IMO but can the Op afford 200k for a car ?....  

Being a courier rider in Central London without taking before my advanced motorbike riding test, somehow I don't think I would be here now. ????

• Like 1

On 7/8/2023 at 3:19 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Thankfully, I just dodged a bullet and her only need for the motorcycle was to get to a special learning class - I told her she needs a license and I would gladly [and did] pay for Grab taxi whenever she needs the coin. And yes, last year I offered to have her go to driving school and learn how to drive a car - - and yes, no problem to buy her a new car or 2nd hand as desired. 

My guess is that it was not very important to her and she might have been under a bit of peer pressure - - she does ride a motorcycle in the countryside when staying here, but only for necessities. She did not seem in the least disappointed. I would like to see her drive a car but they keep these poor kids so busy at school that she barely has enough time to sleep. 

5 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

I must be old school here. Get her nothing. As she's of legal age she can buy it herself, once she can afford it herself.

Well, the issue is past, but you are not old school in my book. 

Do you have children? Do you give them nothing? That sounds kind of mean... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/8/2023 at 6:14 AM, richard_smith237 said:

will not be permitted to travel pillion on a motorcycle if any of his friends have one. 

Totally unrealistic Ricardo.

Did you do everything your parents told you when you were a boy? unlikely me thinks....

I don't know how you get away from using a scoot here in thailand, it's way too convenient for everyday life to do without for 99% of the people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/7/2023 at 5:45 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

Very responsible young 18 yr old wants a motorcycle for use in Chiang Mai..

I told my 22 year old that if I ever find out she's been on a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, be that pillion with some young punk, or her own bike, I'll be cutting her off (or some other grave punishment). She's smart and responsible enough to do what she's told. Even with good sense and professional rider training (but where is that available in Thailand, seriously) the risks are still too high. . .

If you want to expose her to the risks of two wheels in Thailand (IMO an utterly unacceptable risk) then buy her two wheels. I see teenage kids everywhere in Thailand on bikes in school uniform, clearly underage, clearly unlicensed, I just don't understand how any parent can send their kid out into the metal carnage that is Thailand's roads, on a motorbike. Sorry but it is what it is.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

1 hour ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I told my 22 year old that if I ever find out she's been on a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, be that pillion with some young punk, or her own bike, I'll be cutting her off (or some other grave punishment). She's smart and responsible enough to do what she's told. Even with good sense and professional rider training (but where is that available in Thailand, seriously) the risks are still too high. . .

If you want to expose her to the risks of two wheels in Thailand (IMO an utterly unacceptable risk) then buy her two wheels. I see teenage kids everywhere in Thailand on bikes in school uniform, clearly underage, clearly unlicensed, I just don't understand how any parent can send their kid out into the metal carnage that is Thailand's roads, on a motorbike. Sorry but it is what it is.

Thanks - and I agree [though not as forcefully] - the issue has been settled - extra money for Grab... and she is quite ok with it... 

No matter what she is likely going to ride as a passenger on friends bikes.  Best you can do is at minimum try and enforce that she must wear a real helmet which of course she will not want to do.  someone posted good idea...violate rule and lose the phone for a while...that will get her attention.

If possible can u negotiate with her that when she turns 21 u will get her a small car assuming she behaves for next 3 years?  No guarantee that she won't have accident in car but odds are much better that she will survive a small car wreck in lot better shape than a motorbike.

i think most of us posters likely got an old beat up used car when we were young....she doesn't need a brand new car and lots of old cars would thrill most young people to get ANY car.  But even with a car some serious driving lessons needed.

4 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I told my 22 year old that if I ever find out she's been on a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, be that pillion with some young punk, or her own bike, I'll be cutting her off (or some other grave punishment). She's smart and responsible enough to do what she's told.

Apparently at 22 years old she is also not an adult who should make their own decisions? A bit too much control. At some point you can give your kids advice but you can't tell them what to do anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/8/2023 at 12:31 PM, Don Chance said:

Never ride a motor cycle anywhere or anytime is my rule

If you're inexperienced, Incompetant, elderly and fragile or have mental health issues I agree but if you enjoy the outdoors and freedom and a responsible rider go for it, ride and be happy.

Edited by Cricky
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/7/2023 at 5:45 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

Very responsible young 18 yr old wants a motorcycle f

My daughter was asking the same, she wanted to buy a Vespa, I told her that I'd buy her a Tri-city (3 wheel bike), she said it was an ugly bike and hasn't asked again.

Give her some lessons, she must be licensed, tell her not to ride under the influence, after dark, in the rain, always wear a helmet etc.

Edited by Cricky
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Turn left without stopping and not even a glance. 

MB's are a useful tool here, just has to be used safely. To forbid your kid from ever riding on a MB is unrealistic.

I have noticed that they assume they have the curb if they stay close - - she rides in country areas and our village - I am concerned about CM

5 hours ago, Cricky said:

If you're inexperienced, Incompetant, elderly and fragile or have mental health issues I agree but if you enjoy the outdoors and freedom and a responsible rider go for it, ride and be happy.

One rider is killed about every 30 minutes here, bike riding is madness

6 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Apparently at 22 years old she is also not an adult who should make their own decisions? A bit too much control. At some point you can give your kids advice but you can't tell them what to do anymore.

Yeah I would find it amusing to find out what my 3 daughters at 22 years old would say if I tried to be a control freak.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, proton said:

One rider is killed about every 30 minutes here, bike riding is madness

I agree, too many motorbike deaths on our roads.

If you're uneasy, unskilled, Incompetant take the car.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, eisfeld said:

A few victorian style disciplinarian fathers on here, I wonder if they regularly administer a good spanking to their wayward adult daughters.

She's 18 and can do what she wants. it she can raise the money herself, then he has no leverage left regarding her decision , all he can do is advise her to ride carefully

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Helmet?? Normal Thaihelmets are cheap plastic things that shatter n impact.  I dropped mine from 3-4 ft. and it cracked in half.  I f you can't buy  decent helmet that will withstand an impact, then do not think the normal Thai thing will protect you.

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

If your paying for the bike, then tell her once she passes her test you'll buy it. 

Aw come on remember where we are, passing the Thai motorcycle test is in no way guaranteed to turn her into a safe, traffic aware motorcyclist, Admittedly it will at least make her legal and remove a reason for the police to extort money occasionally. but in reality that's about it

The car driving test is no better

8 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

A few victorian style disciplinarian fathers on here, I wonder if they regularly administer a good spanking to their wayward adult daughters.

She's 18 and can do what she wants. it she can raise the money herself, then he has no leverage left regarding her decision , all he can do is advise her to ride carefully

Thai daughters and sons you are responsible for until 20 years old.

And give it some thought that accidents between two Thais might(?) be dealt with differently than between a Thai and an 18yo with a foreign father (when it comes to claims for damages/ restitution/ etc). 

If you purchase the bike and pay for tax/insurance than there’s a chance that you become involved. Solution: 100% defensive driving and dash/helmet cams. 

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

Aw come on remember where we are, passing the Thai motorcycle test is in no way guaranteed to turn her into a safe, traffic aware motorcyclist, Admittedly it will at least make her legal and remove a reason for the police to extort money occasionally. but in reality that's about it

The car driving test is no better

Not just the police extorting money,

no license= no insurance, and in the case of an accident huge hospital bills to pay for all those involved, dead, injured, damage to property, could amount to millions of baht.

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Thai daughters and sons you are responsible for until 20 years old.

This is Thailand, the reality is a little different, how many parents have been prosecuted for allowing their kids to ride motorcycles, ?