Thai Senior Immigration Officer Vows to Purge the Country of All Overstayers Within Three Months

webfact

THE PLAN,

The plan will also utilize smart cars which are equipped with advanced camera face recognition technology connected to the Thai Immigration Database constantly scanning faces of pedestrians and bystanders to identify those on overstay. This technology had been utilized successfully in busy tourist areas that also had many problems with overstaying like Phuket and Pattaya.

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

How about setting up a system on your immigration computers that links to over stayers being highlighted?

are you asking them to use their "little" brains, that's not going to happen  555

• Like 2

They pull out these kinds of big fanfares just after they have had a spate of bad news stories.

I thought they got rid of all the overstayers before? And there is nothing more tedious than some jobsworth immigration officer getting all excited cos he gets to run around in his SWAT uniform checking passports in tourist areas... had it happen to me in Kanachanaburi, they were clowns. 

• Haha 2

"Within the next three months, the number of overstayers should be reduced to zero, as they are more likely to engage in criminal activities, which can adversely affect Thailand’s tourism industry, Pol. Lt. Gen. Pakphumpipat said."

Any bets, anyone? No? But the Pol Lt Gen has promised/vowed that it will happen! Still no bets?

"Oh ye of little faith"

Edited by sambum
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Of course, if you enter the country as a tourist you have to give a residential address, but if I give a false address no one checks it, how will they track me?

One example, there are many more.

I thought that was the whole idea of the TM-30 

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

How about inserting a chip in all new arrivals? Raiding entertainment venues nightly is going to pi$$ a lot of people off, 

So does that mean all farang have to carry passports now? copies no good? 

copies where never good

2 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Sick of hearing this mis-information, you are only legally required to provide your passport within a reasonable time

Please stop perpetuating the 100% carry myth

hey.. would like to know more bud..any source i can read up? found some but nothing that makes it clear

1 hour ago, actonion said:

Make life easier just give all foreigners Ankle Bracelets

This is not such a silly idea. A wrist bracelet with QR code giving ID details and departure date could be affixed at port of arrival, allowing any official or hotel operator with a smartphone camera to interrogate the official immigration records. If you get an extension you get a new bracelet. All paid for by the arrival tax. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

This is not such a silly idea. A wrist bracelet with QR code giving ID details and departure date could be affixed at port of arrival, allowing any official or hotel operator with a smartphone camera to interrogate the official immigration records. If you get an extension you get a new bracelet. All paid for by the arrival tax. 

Yeh, maybe a matter of time, who know's, i think it is possible with CBDC, by now, many countries have grown fond of.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Wouldn't it be easier to tattoo a QR code on the forehead. So we could scan every farang when they enter a building? Would make things much easier

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

THE PLAN,

The plan will also utilize smart cars which are equipped with advanced camera face recognition technology connected to the Thai Immigration Database constantly scanning faces of pedestrians and bystanders to identify those on overstay. This technology had been utilized successfully in busy tourist areas that also had many problems with overstaying like Phuket and Pattaya.

I guess some people will love face masks again

9 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Are you from the Vietnamese tourist board? Just dropping ideas on how to decimate tourism in Thailand?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

1984 here we come

5 hours ago, Henkjan2 said:

Good guys in, bad guys out. Enjoy your holiday, but just follow the rules.

Depends on what the rules are, ie rules made by soldiers with the same mentality as the ordinary Somchai in the street??

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Buy doing checks, as said in the article.

Nothing wrong with that, is it?

No need for raiding. Only need two guys standing outside checking passport of entering foreigners. Or, for example at both entrances to Soi Cowboy and entrance of Nana Plaza.

Regarding passport, I will return the question. Do you believe that a copy of your legal id is considered to be same?

Security guys checking passports?? No way?? Leave that to banks, immigration, higher ranked police.

There is no way I would carry my passport on my person because I wanted to go to Nana Plaza or Soi Cowboy.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

as they are more likely to engage in criminal activities,

I would have thought if you were involved in criminal activities you would be making sure your paperwork was in good order else its like having broken tailights on a getaway car lol!

• Like 1

Within the next three months, the number of overstayers should be reduced to zero, as they are more likely to engage in criminal activities, which can adversely affect Thailand’s tourism industry, Pol. Lt. Gen. Pakphumpipat said.

Zero overstays?  It will never happen, but I'll have some of whatever the dude is smoking.  Pipe-dream at best.
FYI - "Farang" overstays are the tip of the iceberg compared to illegal cross-border 'immigration' of those seeking jobs and well as a subset of other people who come here to engage in illegal activities.  So they'll take the tip of the iceberg down to the water-line and claim success.  Ah-huh.  ????

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Purdey said:

In principle, it sounds like a good idea to round up overstayers. Not sure whether this will affect tourism when the western media create headlines like "Thailand ejects unwelcome tourists", "Thai police round up tourists for not carrying their passports"  "Racist policies in Thailand". People just don't read the details these days. 

Exactly - they'll target legitimate tourist and business-people with harassment while overlooking the dark-dank recesses of human trafficking and illegal cross-border immigration.  So they alienate those whom they target to increase tourism.
Great business plan.  Pasty white farangs will be low-hanging fruit for Immigration.

• Thumbs Up 2

"Overstaying is when someone stays past the date of their legal visa without permission from Thai Immigration"

Imagine being a news site in Thailand aimed at foreigners and not knowing the difference between a visa and a permit to stay.

• Like 1

Within the next three months, the number of overstayers should be reduced to zero,

I think Big Joke, or a prior one like him, made the same pledge at one prior point in time... and of course, nothing came of it other than a few illusory for-show crackdowns.

Were Immigration to actually be serious, which there's no indication they are, it would mean booting out vast loads of Chinese, Russians, SE Asian neighbors (along with a few farangs) -- which would seem a very unlikely scenario.

• Like 2