Three trail runners die, 16 injured in bus accident in Si Sa Ket province

webfact

image.jpeg

Three trail runners were killed and 16 others injured when their bus plunged into a ravine as it was making its ascent in the Phnom Dangrek mountain range, in Phu Sing district of Si Sa Ket province, on Sunday morning.

The trail runners were participating in the Suranaree Trail 2023 (Season 2).

According to the Khukhan district emergency unit’s webpage, several runners were trapped in the wreckage after the accident and they had to use power tools to cut through the twisted metal to extract them. They were rushed to hospitals in Phu Singh and nearby districts.

Full details of the accident and the condition of the survivors are not known at the time of this report.

#news

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/three-trail-runners-die-16-injured-in-bus-accident-in-si-sa-ket-province/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-07-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

4 Runners Die, Over 30 Hurt In Hillside Bus Crash
by TNR Staff

image.jpeg

Photo: Naewna

A BUS carrying a large number of runners ran off the road and plunged down a cliff while coming down a hill in Sisaket province killing four athletes and injuring over 30 others today (July 9), TV Channel 7 and Naewna newspaper said.

The bus was taking the runners participating in “Suranaree Trail Running 2023 Season 2” event from the finishing line at Chong Sangam customs house down the hill to a car park at Wat Luang Phu Suang temple when the accident occurred.

Uninjured runners said the driver was on a low gear while coming down the hill and when they reached Phaya Kouprey viewpoint the brakes suddenly failed causing the large vehicle to sway then crash through the guardrail and plunge down the cliff.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/07/09/4-runners-die-over-30-hurt-in-hillside-bus-crash/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2023-07-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

A BUS carrying a large number of runners ran off the road and plunged down a cliff

Looks more like a ditch than a cliff to me.

Brake failure on flat, straight road ...... no way!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 2

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There are surviving witnesses with their statements. We can't say from the picture if that section is on a flat road, or where the brakes failed which is not necessarily where the bus veered off the road.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Stop calling them accidents, which implies no cause, they are collisions where someone is at fault.

In this case there was no collision.

The fault was with whoever was responsible for the road worthiness of the bus.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

bus plunged into a ravine as it was making its ascent

going Up

5 hours ago, webfact said:

A BUS carrying a large number of runners ran off the road and plunged down a cliff while coming down a hill i

Going down

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

With respect, Phaya Kouprey viewpoint (where accident occured) is high on a mountain overlooking forests and rivers. The road descends the MOUNTAIN from the Chong Sa-nagm border crossing with Cambodia (where the runners finished). If you have lived in the hills and mountains of rural Thailand you will be very familiar with this type of curving road - like I was!

Photo from Thai Newsroom:

4 runners die, over 30 hurt in hillside bus crash – Thai Newsroom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Uninjured runners said the driver was on a low gear while coming down the hill and when they reached Phaya Kouprey viewpoint the brakes suddenly failed causing the large vehicle to sway then crash through the guardrail and plunge down the cliff.

If he had been in 2 nd , better 1st gear he would not have needed to use the brakes,

coming down the hill , my father always used to say to me , use your gears ,not the brakes.

regards worgeordie

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

If he had been in 2 nd , better 1st gear he would not have needed to use the brakes,

coming down the hill , my father always used to say to me , use your gears ,not the brakes.

Agreed. In first gear especially , the bus would have been going at a crawl.

To be in low gear (maybe not the lowest?) and still go through the guard rail says some things

the quality and height of the guard  rail

still could have been going too fast for the conditions esp if guardrail gave way 

last inspection of brakes and gear system 

driver history and record

Edited by cardinalblue