Escalator Malfunction Creates Scare at Major Mall

webfact

As much as I love this country, preventive maintenance is just not in their DNA. One sees it in all manner of construction, road building, beautification projects, you name it. Things start out looking great then aren’t taken care of and decay, sometimes rapidly. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, stoner said:

that looks like a mega problem.

but perspective. thousands of these things operate every day without incident. 

Yes, thousands do operate every day until they don't and people get hurt.  I think it is fair to say that Thailand does not have a good record of maintaining things: housing, commercial buildings and airliners, roads, etc. Mechanical things that are in continuous usage have to be maintained, and if this is proactive maintence, it means inspections; taking things apart and making sure that tollerances are being met, xraying critical high stress areas for cracks that cannot be seen, and proactively replacing parts at regular intervals.  Next is the difficult task of drafting written maintence shedules and assigning responsibility to employes to see that they are carried out and that supervisors take their oversight responsibilites seriously.  Many of these steps obiously did not happen at Don Mueany. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Balance said:

Yes, thousands do operate every day until they don't and people get hurt.  I think it is fair to say that Thailand does not have a good record of maintaining things: housing, commercial buildings and airliners, roads, etc. Mechanical things that are in continuous usage have to be maintained, and if this is proactive maintence, it means inspections; taking things apart and making sure that tollerances are being met, xraying critical high stress areas for cracks that cannot be seen, and proactively replacing parts at regular intervals.  Next is the difficult task of drafting written maintence shedules and assigning responsibility to employes to see that they are carried out and that supervisors take their oversight responsibilites seriously.  Many of these steps obiously did not happen at Don Mueany. 

you're right. in the last say 20 years though how many times has this happened ? 

4 hours ago, Sig said:

The most hilarious thing to me about this article is the careful avoidance of saying where it happened! hahahahaha What a joke. These ultra sensitive libel/slander laws make common-sense life unlivable. Just so stupid....
You'd almost think that they'd like to be mentioned because it appears that they handled it promptly and nobody got hurt, so they could tout their security for doing such a great job. Sure, it broke... stuff happens, things break, can't prevent everything. They could show off their pristine maintenance records.... But nooooo gotta cordon things off and don't let anyone take pictures!? hahaha too late! And people from above could take pictures anyway. This law has made everyone's thinking turn upside down and start doing irrational things. That's what getting woke does to you. Turn everything into a victim mentality.....

It's a bit like in an earlier era of commercial aviation when the first person out to a plane after an accident was a guy with a can of paint to paint over the tail logo and markings ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, stoner said:

that looks like a mega problem.

but perspective. thousands of these things operate every day without incident. 

Until something like this happens and it seems more likely to happen in Thailand especially in older established shopping malls which will have the same escalators that were installed when the mall was built sometimes 20 years old just like the Travelators at the airport

50 minutes ago, stoner said:

you're right. in the last say 20 years though how many times has this happened ? 

But now after twenty years of use and maybe a lack of maintenance, things like this will happen.

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

I was just doing some shopping in Mega Home in Pattaya and they have these travellators to get up and down to the first floor where most of the interesting stuff is. I noticed a couple of employees pushing a trolley loaded with heavy tiles, even with wheels they were having difficulty pushing it onto the escalator. I wonder if these machines are specifically designed for such heavy loads, which are far more than the average person with a bag of shopping or a suitcase? If not, then they're just an accident waiting to happen, I think I'll take the lift in future, lol.

Although most airports have escalators and heavy suitcases used on them all day and night long. I’ve also often seen (outside Thailand ) an escalator stopped  with a sign * maintenance * . Maintenance definitely a problem here , you see it with air cons, I always look and take the filters out when I arrive ( all condos I’ve rented) and they’re filthy, one exception was owned by an American journalist. Could it be the quality of these escalators? Or are they* made in China *  Look at that collapsed bridge in Lat Krabang , surely not normal ! ? I’m even wary of lifts, but then , you can’t stop living can you. 

• Like 1

An overly negative comment in regards to Thais and Thailand has been reported and removed.

14. You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, Thai people, Thai culture, Thai institutions such as the military, judicial or law enforcement system or specific locations within Thailand.

1 hour ago, stoner said:

That is anyone's guess . If it can be kept quiet , then it will .

3 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Take the stairs when you are in that not to be named mall when you go to IKEA, Harbourland or ice skating.

So there is an assumption that the stairs are safe ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sig said:

The most hilarious thing to me about this article is the careful avoidance of saying where it happened! hahahahaha What a joke. These ultra sensitive libel/slander laws make common-sense life unlivable. Just so stupid....
You'd almost think that they'd like to be mentioned because it appears that they handled it promptly and nobody got hurt, so they could tout their security for doing such a great job. Sure, it broke... stuff happens, things break, can't prevent everything. They could show off their pristine maintenance records.... But nooooo gotta cordon things off and don't let anyone take pictures!? hahaha too late! And people from above could take pictures anyway. This law has made everyone's thinking turn upside down and start doing irrational things. That's what getting woke does to you. Turn everything into a victim mentality.....

How does woke come into this event?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

How does woke come into this

That's an interesting development.

In the early 1990s "it's political correctness gone mad" phase of politics, what might be called a proto-Woke spasm, a similar conflation occurred between health and safety/risk avoidance issues and the "rectification of names" involved in the process of political correctness.

The conflation arose then because both involved a sense of petty, wasteful bureaucracy, and both produced lots of headline news stories.

8 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Yes, but why would they attempt to ban photography? Surely it would help in their investigation unless .........its someones fault?

"Shortly after the incident, mall authorities cordoned off the area and prohibited any form of photography"

I think it's by sheer respect for that unfortunate piece of machinery, that had humbly and faithfully served the public for so long....(????)

7 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

tear em all out..replace with stairs...problem solved and a little exercise for thais that take a motorbike to 7-11 across the street.......people climb doi shutep stairs daily    300+ steps

seems the warranties have expired on these things.....

Yes.....but the stairs would probably be collapsing instead haha. 

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

How does woke come into this event?

You'll notice, in context of my comment, "woke" was not being used in relation to the event itself. It was in reference to the law, with its attendant causes and consequences.

18 hours ago, brianthainess said:

To late Bro. This just reminds me of a Thai Air, airplane that skidded of a runway, yonks ago and they dashed out to paint the logo out in black paint. Thainess. 

I meant to add same airport.