Move Forward Party’s Thai PM Candidate Pita Fails First Round of Voting

snoop1130

MFP Leader Fails to Secure Enough Votes to Become New PM

image.jpeg

BANGKOK (TNA) – Move Forward Party leader Pita Limjaroenrat failed to secure more than half of the bicameral parliament to become the new prime minister on Thursday .

After his initial bid failed, Mr. Pita said he accepted the result of the first prime minister vote in the joint sitting of parliament today and vowed to continue to gather more support in his second bid to become the new prime minister. The next voting is expected on July 19.

House speaker Wan Muhamad Noor Matha reported the official results of the prime ministerial vote, in which Pita won 324 votes including 13 from senators. Some 182 legislators voted against him and 199 abstained from voting. The total votes were 705. The rest of 44 legislators including top military officers did not attend the joint parliamentary session to vote for a new prime minister.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1206710

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2023-07-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

6 hours ago, shocky2012 said:

Thai people truly deserve better. That's a sad day but I'm sure Pita will comeback stronger.

Not if the commission has anything to do with it. 

Looking more and more likely they are going to ban him from politics for 10 years just like they did the previous Move Forward leader

I find it hard to believe Pita could of been so naïve as to of fallen foul of the same thing (holding shares in a media company)

Only needs 50% of any commission to be pro Junta and he will be out

198 senators abstained from voting which was as good as a vote against, in order to keep some credibility with the Thai populace.

Fact is they have shown that they have less credibility than the MP's who actually voted against, at least they showed who they were prepared to support.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

It was a farce... 200 abstain votes... why?? Don't dare to take the responsibility for yes or no? Of course it was expected, Thailand don't want cilvilians in the Government, but this time the dinosaurs shall see that their time is over...

They working on a coup, again

• Like 2

acording to the rules which are ## .., when is proper democracy going to happen here, the people voted - honhor that vote, they really are play with fire - this is not going to end well, who decided the senate had a say in the matter, oh yes the miltary junta..........the people voted respect it or this country goes down in flames, #### the senate, the only vote that matters is what the people voted for .......................that is democracy 

• Love It 1

8 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

"I think they'll find something to have him removed (Pita) like they did with the Future Forward Party."

If they do that, they're inviting giga trouble on the streets. Besides, they will have lost major respect (although there wasn't much to start with) nationally and whatever little respect they had internationally.

8 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Unfortunately, this was predictable.

I think they'll find something to have him removed (Pita) like they did with the Future Forward Party.

This senate handpicked by the previous Junta.  It's beyond mind numbing corruption.

Disgusting really!

Currencies should go up versus the baht with the political instability, that's the only silver lining. 

I would not count on the bhat going down 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, blazes said:

In 2008, the Yellow Shirts showed how to close the country down.  Just turn up at Suavarnaphumi and (in effect) close it down.

Looking back at history, I see patterns similar to the Russian situation in 1917, when the minority party (the Menshevicks) ruled from February to November, at which time Lenin and the Bolsheviks took over in a bloodless coup.

Thailand stands out in Asia as one of the few places where revolution has not yet occurred.  Perhaps that time has come....

they are working now towards another coup, i hope the people don't let them away with it...........................what is it No 23, the people voted - respect the vote

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, smedly said:

acording to the rules which are ## .., when is proper democracy going to happen here, the people voted - honhor that vote, they really are play with fire - this is not going to end well, who decided the senate had a say in the matter, oh yes the miltary junta..........the people voted respect it or this country goes down in flames, #### the senate, the only vote that matters is what the people voted for .......................that is democracy 

that leaves the  U.S.  out of that description   

you all knew what to expect and appreciate when you moved here ,,,,,,  now you want it to be just like back home

wake up!      

9 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Pita accepts vote result but is not giving up

really, the senate shouldn't have a vote - the people voted, what is wrong with this country...............there is no democracy here ---------### them

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

US Press is back to referring to the current government as a military junta, a term they have been avoiding for years. 

now CNN and BBC transmission will be blacked out when reporting on this mess tike big brother to the north.  however most have phone now

Edited by malibukid

30 minutes ago, neeray said:

If they do that, they're inviting giga trouble on the streets. Besides, they will have lost major respect (although there wasn't much to start with) nationally and whatever little respect they had internationally.

China and India still love them

i

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dukeleto said:

There should be no abstentions allowed in politics. You are there to represent the people who voted for you. You need to put their wish forward as a vote. Not sit on the fence to see which way the wind blows…any idiot can do that! Useless!!!

The issue there is that no one elected the current sitting Senators. They were installed by Prayut and his group and are loyal to only he and his friends, of which the current coalition led by Pita is not......sad day really.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, herfiehandbag said:

Let us not forget: MFP and Pita received significantly more votes than any party or candidate in the election.

Within days they had put in place a coalition which commanded a very clear majority of the elected representatives.

This "failure to gain sufficient votes" was simply the result of the unelected senate, junta members and cronies, blocking the clearly stated will of the electorate.

It has no arguable legitimacy.

I overheard someone saying the entire UTN party as well as the Democrats and Anutins party voted No. The opposition, even if Pita does become PM can make the government a lame duck especially with the senate behind them.

They will be stronger next election. The old gaurd will die out with their generation.  They will be replaced by the younger generation. What happened in Parliament will increase resistance to the old fools running the country for the elite.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Interesting concept of 'counting votes': If I 'abstain' - for whatever reason, good or bad - my vote counts as a No.

Perhaps unique in the world.

Thai dinosaurs could conduct sociology research institute lessons in The New Mathematics of Democracy.

An abstention is not a No vote, never has been, never will be.

Anywhere.