Why does my laptop run at near or 100% CPU load?

simon43

This is my back-up laptop.  It has an Intel Celeron N3060 CPU at 1.6GHz, 2 core, an SSD hard disk drive and 4GB of RAM.  There are no start-up apps running and I am only running Microsoft Edge browser.  My antivirus software finds no viruses....

However, although the memory and disk usage is very low, the CPU load is typically between 80-100% and I'm not sure why!  Surely a laptop of this type should be able to run an internet browser without hitting 100% CPU load.

Any suggestions what might be causing this problem or things to check etc?  Thanks.

13 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Naturally I have already checked the task bar for active apps.  Apart from Microsoft Edge, there are none.

(Is there an alternative browser that uses less CPU resources?)

Not Apps……Services

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stoner said:

how much space is left on your HD ? 

My SSD has about 80% free space and the load on it is about 5%.

As for service running in the task bar, of course there are many, but I have no ideas which ones need to be running for correct laptop operation.  (Is there an app that will disable any services that are not needed?)

3 minutes ago, simon43 said:

As for service running in the task bar, of course there are many, but I have no ideas which ones need to be running for correct laptop operation.  (Is there an app that will disable any services that are not needed?)

Task Manager, not Task Bar. It doesn’t matter if you disable it. It will run again when you reboot unless you take further steps. If it’s causing the CPU to run at 100%, disable it and then see if you needed it. 

6 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I already linked to one. I hope you put me on ignore so that you don’t ever see it ☺️

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, NextG said:

I already linked to one. I hope you put me on ignore so that you don’t ever see it ☺️

The app you linked to is useful and I downloaded it.  But it doesn't seem to show what services I can disabled without any negative effect on my laptop.  For example, there are more than a dozen ServiceHost services running.  Can I disable any of them?  How do I know which are not needed (if any)?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, connda said:

You have a older CPU and you're running MS Windows.  That's your problem.

Yep, that may be it >> Windows 10 running on an older machine.  For the apps that I need I could run something like puppylinux.  Perhaps I'll install Puppy on a USB stick, boot from that stick and then look at the task window (is there one in Puppy?) to show the CPU load.

24 minutes ago, simon43 said:

The app you linked to is useful and I downloaded it.  But it doesn't seem to show what services I can disabled without any negative effect on my laptop.  For example, there are more than a dozen ServiceHost services running.  Can I disable any of them?  How do I know which are not needed (if any)?

Disable ALL offered by the application 

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

This is my back-up laptop.

Then, at least if you run Windows, that is normal when you switch on the PC.

Windows takes ages to check for updates, download updates, install updates, and maybe again the same.

I suggest switch it on, make sure it doesn't go to sleep, and wait and hour. Then maybe restart and maybe do it again. And then all should be fine.

Mostly I work on my desktop. Whenever I know I will use my notebook then I do this procedure hours before I have to actually use it. Then it is back to 0% CPU when I need to use it.

I would switch it on and let it update at least once per month so that this procedure doesn't take forever.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Running Windows on 4GB of RAM?  555.

I run windows 10 on 4gb ddr3 memory with a i3 6th gen processor. It only panics if I open photoshop. 

In the past I had problems with Microsoft Office click to run creating the 100% disk, not cpu, but changing from a hdd to ssd solved that. 

I've never used Edge, but I wonder if it has 'extensions' like Chrome. If so, you should be able to disable them from the browser settings which could help. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Windows takes ages to check for updates, download updates, install updates, and maybe again the same.

That was my thought. Suggest you install and run Microsoft Process Explorer to see what's hogging the CPU.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

• Confused 1

There is a "windows software reporting tool" in windows 10 that kicks in occasionally. and it uses a lot of resources. I had issues with it running all the time, CPU was at 100% and the fan was always screaming.It can be stopped in the task manager, and steps can be taken to permanently prevent it from running again

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

That was my thought. Suggest you install and run Microsoft Process Explorer to see what's hogging the CPU.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Just use the build in task manager. It shows all the important information.

There is no need to install another program for that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, NextG said:

It’s either an SSD(solid state drive) or an HDD(hard disk drive)… which is it? You have listed both. What is the full model number of the device? Did you fit the SSD after purchase?

It's a SSD.  SSD or HDD is irrelevant for my post.  I already mentioned that the memories are under very light load - the laptop is not having to write/read from the SDD (or HDD) because it has enough RAM for continuous operation.  The only item under heavy load is the CPU - see my screengrab below.

task.jpg.8716182844247c30e6f4e8d5a93180af.jpg

When I say that it is my backup laptop, it is used every day and so it's not a question of waiting for Edge/Microsoft to load/update - the computer is running for maybe 18 hours every day.

Thanks for the Slimjet suggestion - I'll try this.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you know nothing about services you shouldn't be dikkin round with it

I would reformat and reinstall. Unless the issue is hardware this will 100% fix the problem and you've probably never done it before so the machine will run much better.

There exists boatloads of malware that can run in the background. Certainly not limited to root kits but they are some of the nastier variety. All of which will go undetected by even paid versions of antivirus software. Reformat, reinstall

I don't like Edge but it's fast, especially the latest iteration. Try Chrome or Brave see if you have same issue

Someone said it was old netbook and/or running the celery processor.

Try tiny11

Edited by Seamaster

3 minutes ago, Seamaster said:

...I would reformat and reinstall. Unless the issue is hardware this will 100% fix the problem and you've probably never done it before so the machine will run much better.

The SSD is a recent upgrade to the old HDD and it was formatted and installed with Windows 10.  It runs much faster than the old HDD and there are very few apps installed on this SDD.

Some files could be corrupted, try this:

1. Select Start, and in the search box, enter Command Prompt. Press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt (Desktop app)from the search results and select Run as administrator.
  2. Enter DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth(note the spaces before each "/").
  3. Enter sfc/scannow(note the space between "sfc" and "/").

That should eliminate and replace corrupted system files

Just now, simon43 said:

The SSD is a recent upgrade to the old HDD and it was formatted and installed with Windows 10.  It runs much faster than the old HDD and there are very few apps installed on this SDD.

Check that the correct and latest drivers installed for the SSD.

Still could be malware, very possibly

Run sfc

Try to lean out drive. Old, big files. Remove temp files, old windows updates. Remove windows media player, delete system backups (reset backup to a few gb), user account unused, into advanced settings and use fastest not prettiest - then tweak a few switches back. SSD needs 20% free.

58 minutes ago, Seamaster said:

Check that the correct and latest drivers installed for the SSD.

Still could be malware, very possibly

Run sfc

Try to lean out drive. Old, big files. Remove temp files, old windows updates. Remove windows media player, delete system backups (reset backup to a few gb), user account unused, into advanced settings and use fastest not prettiest - then tweak a few switches back. SSD needs 20% free.

As mentioned, there are absolutely no issues with the SSD - it is maybe 95% empty.....