Why does my laptop run at near or 100% CPU load?

simon43

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

It's a SSD.  SSD or HDD is irrelevant for my post.  I already mentioned that the memories are under very light load - the laptop is not having to write/read from the SDD (or HDD) because it has enough RAM for continuous operation.  The only item under heavy load is the CPU - see my screengrab below.

task.jpg.8716182844247c30e6f4e8d5a93180af.jpg

When I say that it is my backup laptop, it is used every day and so it's not a question of waiting for Edge/Microsoft to load/update - the computer is running for maybe 18 hours every day.

Thanks for the Slimjet suggestion - I'll try this.

What if you sort in the Task Manager by CPU usage? Something is not visible in there because 62.8% + 7.3% aint 100%.

Also how recent was the upgrade to SSD? If it was a few days ago then it could still be indexing stuff before settling down.

3 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

What if you sort in the Task Manager by CPU usage? Something is not visible in there because 62.8% + 7.3% aint 100%.

Also how recent was the upgrade to SSD? If it was a few days ago then it could still be indexing stuff before settling down.

I'll try this out.  The SSD was installed a few months ago.

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

It's a SSD.  SSD or HDD is irrelevant for my post.  I already mentioned that the memories are under very light load - the laptop is not having to write/read from the SDD (or HDD) because it has enough RAM for continuous operation.  The only item under heavy load is the CPU - see my screengrab below.

task.jpg.8716182844247c30e6f4e8d5a93180af.jpg

When I say that it is my backup laptop, it is used every day and so it's not a question of waiting for Edge/Microsoft to load/update - the computer is running for maybe 18 hours every day.

Thanks for the Slimjet suggestion - I'll try this.

How about some feedback? Did you disabled all via the WPD application? Have you stopped whatever process was fully utilising the CPU(I appreciate you only just understood that you could choose to rearrange the list in order of % of utilisation). 

I will add that currently, on my more than ten year old laptop with an i5 processor, Task Manager is utilising 1.1% to a max of 2% of processing power. 
If funds aren’t too tight, replace it. I paid 3k for the Dell Latitude that I’m using. 
Of course you can continue to tinker with the one you have, but as you can see, the CPU is very poor. SSD are cheap enough, so you can swap out the current SSD to play around with Linux(Mint and Ubuntu are mainstream, but there are other possibly suitable options) or simply Dual boot on the current SSD. 

9 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

Not the task bar, the task manager.

Sorry, of course I meant the task manager ????

I ran the command line RestoreHealth and this seemed to reduce the CPU load.

I ran wpd app and disabled all under the privacy settings.  No change to the CPU load.  If I examine the task manager most CPU load seems to be taken up by 'Antimalware Service Executable' and Microsoft Edge.

@NextG, your arrogant 'I know all and you know nothing' attitude is not really helpful.  I've put you on ignore and will consider the constructive comments from other posters.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Even a browser takes a lot of resources nowadays, the laptop is just <deleted>ty. That your virus scanners says nothing is no guarantee btw.

Yep, that's probably the reason.  Pity I can't install Windows 7 (much less bloated OS than the more recent Windows OS)

Here's my last thought. Do you have any odd, small program(s)? Atypical, not MSFT, Adobe, browser like that? Even best programs can have memory leaks. Whatever it is something is running unseen to you. Probably more an issue than simply spiking at 100%. Good luck

40 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Yep, that's probably the reason.  Pity I can't install Windows 7 (much less bloated OS than the more recent Windows OS)

It makes a bit difference which websites you visit and how many tabs you open. Some websites have a lot of ads and an extensive use of JavaScript. My desktop computer with an 8 core CPU is between 50 and 100 percent if I open a few tabs on this website. One of the reasons I am not more active here.

57 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Sorry, of course I meant the task manager ????

I ran the command line RestoreHealth and this seemed to reduce the CPU load.

I ran wpd app and disabled all under the privacy settings.  No change to the CPU load.  If I examine the task manager most CPU load seems to be taken up by 'Antimalware Service Executable' and Microsoft Edge.

@NextG, your arrogant 'I know all and you know nothing' attitude is not really helpful.  I've put you on ignore and will consider the constructive comments from other posters.

Karma will take care of you…soon. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, farang51 said:

It makes a bit difference which websites you visit and how many tabs you open. Some websites have a lot of ads and an extensive use of JavaScript. My desktop computer with an 8 core CPU is between 50 and 100 percent if I open a few tabs on this website. One of the reasons I am not more active here.

Change your Browser…. or utilise methods to mitigate the issue. Then it makes no difference which website you visit, as most of their box of tricks will be disabled. It goes without saying that I won’t be helping the OP to do this ☺️

29 minutes ago, Seamaster said:

Here's my last thought. Do you have any odd, small program(s)? Atypical, not MSFT, Adobe, browser like that? Even best programs can have memory leaks. Whatever it is something is running unseen to you. Probably more an issue than simply spiking at 100%. Good luck

It’s just a dire CPU. I remember upbraiding this character about buying that rubbish years ago. 

• Sad 2

Put some flavor of linux on a usb stick and boot from that. See how well it runs on your old system.

Linux mint is one that is quite easy to use for windows users. You want a live cd version. There will be instructions on the website on how to do it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Good idea!  @NextG - you're wasting your time posting if you're directing your comments at me - you're on ignore for your attitude, go troll somewhere else, I'm getting useful advice from these other posters ????

Karma always takes care of those who bite the hand that feeds them. Since you are a scientist you may understand. Better to be nice. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I always loved laptops, and for a few years I worked on them. I noticed that after 2010 almost every laptop was designed to fail, usually within 6-12 months. My last laptop was great, but the MB blew in less than a month. Since I had moved to a new country I couldn't get any warranty support.

Still, I went on a mission to get it fixed. Two shops opened it up, and said "no can do". I tried to buy a used or new MB, almost impossible to find, and way too expensive to ship to Thailand.

Even though I had some weird love for laptops I realize it's a rigged game. Sure, you can buy a laptop and get years of use out of it but I think the laptop makers win most of the time. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

If I examine the task manager most CPU load seems to be taken up by 'Antimalware Service Executable' and Microsoft Edge.

In the past I have had a few times issues with PC crashing (restarting on his own).

It each time happened about a month after I had installed the free version of Malwarebytes, and after the free trial had ended.

Removing malwarebytes fixed it, maybe a coincidence, but I had to start up in safe mode to be able to uninstall the program

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

Good idea!  @NextG - you're wasting your time posting if you're directing your comments at me - you're on ignore for your attitude, go troll somewhere else, I'm getting useful advice from these other posters ????

You mean the same advice that I gave to you earlier with regard to Linux Mint and Ubuntu? It’s you who has the ‘attitude’. I’m actually helping and have no idea as to why you threw a ‘wobbly’. Either way, it’s your problem. 

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, Furioso said:

I always loved laptops, and for a few years I worked on them. I noticed that after 2010 almost every laptop was designed to fail, usually within 6-12 months. My last laptop was great, but the MB blew in less than a month. Since I had moved to a new country I couldn't get any warranty support.

Still, I went on a mission to get it fixed. Two shops opened it up, and said "no can do". I tried to buy a used or new MB, almost impossible to find, and way too expensive to ship to Thailand.

Even though I had some weird love for laptops I realize it's a rigged game. Sure, you can buy a laptop and get years of use out of it but I think the laptop makers win most of the time. 

From the ‘new’ laptops I have purchased, the shortest lifespan I’ve experienced is nine years. The longest, fourteen to fifteen. 

• Haha 1

You say some apps on drive, how come it is almost 80 %? 40 mB drive?

You ever deleted cookies? checked your register? Defrag your register?

With Glary Utilities, you can have things cleaned and checked.

There is a free version to use.

https://www.glarysoft.com/

No im not sales man in it, but I just use it from time to time, already many years.

It can find cookies and delete them and check registry.

Also older files which takes up space on drive. Or check on corrupted windows files and replace it. It will do so by the command prompt screen, but goes automatic when you ask GU to do so, through menu's. Just see for your self.

Also a possibility to adjust memory settings. They are all in free version.

From time to time, i also delete all files in "prefetch" in windows directory.

They "help"with these to have smooth acces, I read cookies again, delete.

yeah it comes with a pop up for being administrator, but continu.

Some (2) you cant delete, so skip that. Delete then from garbage box.

I dont use edge, had some experience in cutting my computer in acting and got less. When i put them all out (ending) in taskmanager, had an increase.

Thought it was weird but ok rarely now use edge.

Sometimes my comp is slooooow, then i check startmenu and see there is an update and MUST restart to have it proper working again. They just annoy you with it, "lovely that windows". The last 12 years experienced all kinds of weird actions and wouldnt be surprised, the OS, browsers are holding back, maybe also depending on where you are on the planet. Apple then? No probably same bs. Linux? 

Or go back, if possible to windows 7. I want to try with my older laptop as well.

But maybe it is blocked once you had windows 10, even if you would erase drive or even buy a new drive. Microsoft doesnt really like W7 anymore, to free is my guess.

Yes you can download W7 on a usenet provider.

But not only that, there is music, movies, books, software. But maybe you know that.

But it would be wise then to use a VPN, as you could be tracked and give you fines.

And you have to be aware, some software could have "nasty things". Reading comments and trying to find trustworthy feeders.

You have an older laptop, new drive, so maybe catching up in updates, internet connection fast or slow? Maybe busy for some days, till finally all done.

• Thanks 1

Check your spyware and security software settings. Disconnect from the internet and then turn off your security software and see what happens to cpu usage. Something is obviously running in the background to keep the usage up and if all other programs are closed there only a few options that would cause this and hdd or ssd will not be part of the issue unless they delay or crash functioning of a program while its being used. 

12 hours ago, NextG said:

Its really a low spec chrome book.

Software and apps are getting more sophisticated and need more resources than what you have. 

If your able to Financially, invest in a proper laptop.

16 gb RAM minimum i7 processor. (being passed out so maybe cheaper).

Laptops in Thailand are really dated and overpriced.

Perhaps order from Amazon, even with shipping it'll be cheaper than a comparable laptop bought in Thailand and there's no import duty on laptops. 

Or just get a top end Samsung phone.   I don't even bother with my laptop anymore.  Powerful and fit in your pocket.  Samsung Dex let's you connect your phone to a monitor or TV and use it like a computer.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062657/#:~:text=When you want to see,use on a big screen.

Edited by MrJ2U

Thanks for all the good advice here.  I'm going to partition my drive and install Linux Mint, and see how the laptop performs.  As mentioned, it's an old laptop running bloated Windows 10, so no surprises that the CPU is under heavy load.

@MrJ2U, this is my second/back-up laptop.  My main laptop is a Ryzen i7 which runs fast and fine ????

Edited by simon43
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Thanks for all the good advice here.  I'm going to partition my drive and install Linux Mint, and see how the laptop performs.  As mentioned, it's an old laptop running bloated Windows 10, so no surprises that the CPU is under heavy load.

@MrJ2U, this is my second/back-up laptop.  My main laptop is a Ryzen i7 which runs fast and fine ????

Do post your evaluation of the new Linux controlled system compared to windowz. 

23 hours ago, simon43 said:

Yep, that may be it >> Windows 10 running on an older machine.  For the apps that I need I could run something like puppylinux.  Perhaps I'll install Puppy on a USB stick, boot from that stick and then look at the task window (is there one in Puppy?) to show the CPU load.

That's I good idea.  Booting up with an "easy-to-use version" of Linux on a USB is simple. 
I ran Win7 until they stopped supporting it with security updates and loaded Win10 and ran into the same issues you're having.  Unlike Win7, on Win10 the CPU would spike to 100% for anywhere between 15 minutes to 2 hours.  Once it got all of it's background processing completed it would go a back to 80%. 

I ran Linux and Win10 dual booted, but finally just took it off my system and now run Ubuntu with Win10 running in a VM so it's now my backup system. 

And I bought a new computer with an up-to-date Intel i7.  I run it with the same configuration and Win10 runs in a VM and is well behaved.  I seldom use Windows as I only have a couple of applications that require it, and I seldom use those applications.

Edited by connda
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gargamon said:

Do post your evaluation of the new Linux controlled system compared to windowz. 

????????????????????

Look at my post above comparing Ubuntu with Win10 on an older AMD x64 processor.  That 'older' computer has a 8GB RAM and a 500GB SSD drive.

One of the other oddities with Windows_nn on an older system like this is that it takes hours to get the system updates to install.  Literally hours, and the CPU is spiked at 100% during the entire time.

Software updates on Ubuntu (and probably most other Linux systems) updates in 30 seconds to, at longest, a couple of minutes.  A full 'kernel update' might take 3 to 5 minutes. 

3 hours ago, simon43 said:

Once you get Linux Mint loaded up check out their forum.  They have a Newbie Thread to help newcomers to transition.
https://forums.linuxmint.com/
I highly suggest playing around with VirtualBox and instead of dual-booting, allow Linux Mint to run by itself and then use VirtualBox to create a Windows Virtual Machine, and install Windows in the VM.  The beauty about using this method is that your hard-drive will contain minimal partitions (EFI, root, and home - if you chose to separate root (/) and home (/home) which I recommend), and you can Clone the Virtual Machine which is just a really simple way to back up your instance of MS Windows.  It's more secure as well as the Windows instanced is sandboxed
Then, if you need to run Windows on that older computer, you log on to Linux, fire up the VirtualBox VM and let is grind away in the background until the CPU comes back down to a reasonable level. In the meanwhile you can use your computer to do other things.
Best of luck.  Sounds like you'll get things sorted out.