Puncture.

I got a puncture on the back wheel of my Forza, took it to a local repairer, he put a sort of plug in it.

I assume this is a temperory repair though I may be wrong.

Should I take it to a Honda dealer and get a tube fitted? The last time the exact same happened and the dealers replaced the full tyre. I always wondered why they did this when the tyre only had a small prick on it.

1 minute ago, Tropicalevo said:

Not temporary as far as I know.

Over the years I have had quite a few 'plugs' in both cars and bikes. Never a problem afterwards.

Then again, I do not go driving on the highways on the mainland very much.

I do a lot of riding on the highways.

4 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I got a puncture on the back wheel of my Forza, took it to a local repairer, he put a sort of plug in it.

I assume this is a temperory repair though I may be wrong.

Should I take it to a Honda dealer and get a tube fitted? The last time the exact same happened and the dealers replaced the full tyre. I always wondered why they did this when the tyre only had a small prick on it.

Tubed vs Tubeless Tyres

Can you put a tube in a tubeless tire?

If you insist on running a tube in a tubeless tire, the general rule of thumb is to treat the setup as one load rating and one speed rating less than the tubeless tire says it can handle. That's mainly because your tube and tire combination will be creating extra heat, especially the harder you ride.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fab5BKK said:

Tubed vs Tubeless Tyres

Can you put a tube in a tubeless tire?

If you insist on running a tube in a tubeless tire, the general rule of thumb is to treat the setup as one load rating and one speed rating less than the tubeless tire says it can handle. That's mainly because your tube and tire combination will be creating extra heat, especially the harder you ride.

I did not insist on it I only asked about it because it's what I do with my pushbike. I just don't want to get caught out, and I just wonder why the Honda agent about two years ago with the exact same thing fitted a new tyre at a cost of about 2000 Bt instead of just putting a plug on it.

My understanding is that plugs are regarded as a temporary repair.

Its been explained to me that water “can/could” seep in and cause the steel belts to corrode, resulting in the tyre delaminating…
Obviously undesirable at speed.

That said, I’ve used plugs for years and with the occasional visual check are happy to do so.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Exactly. If it is air tight then how can it not be water tight? Especially with the much higher pressure inside than outside and also normally inside being warmer than outside (moisture goes to cold).

Maybe the moisture comes from the condensation?

At the end of the day that’s what I was told.

14 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I did not insist on it I only asked about it because it's what I do with my pushbike. I just don't want to get caught out, and I just wonder why the Honda agent about two years ago with the exact same thing fitted a new tyre at a cost of about 2000 Bt instead of just putting a plug on it.

I didn't write that you insist... It's part of the article I took the pain to copy for you...

That'll teach me trying to share knowledge with some people... Hopeless !

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

I didn't write that you insist... It's part of the article I took the pain to copy for you...

That'll teach me trying to share knowledge with some people... Hopeless !

Calm down, how did I know it was copied?

I've done thousands of kms on plugs, including high speeds on large sports bikes. Never an issue.

I also tried to remove a plug on an old tyre after it was replaced. No way that sucker was coming out. I'd say you have a much higher chance of getting a new puncture on a separate section of the tyre than an existing plug failing.

Of course, the tyre companies will tell you they are temporary, better to buy a new tyre ASAP etc.  

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

I put a link (= internet link to a website article) AND I extracted a part of the article for your convenience...

Obviously, you didn't read it...

Hopeless...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

My original reply had two parts:

1. Link

2. Article

The JPEG below shows you these 2 (two) parts... If you find the JPEG too small, you can click on it (with your mouse, I meant your computer mouse, of course !)

image.png.1f22b8e0feb357228dcfca6121357477.png

Edited by Fab5BKK

14 minutes ago, Fab5BKK said:

My original reply had two parts:

1. Link

2. Article

The JPEG below shows you these 2 (two) parts... If you find the JPEG too small, you can click on it (with your mouse, I meant your computer mouse, of course !)

image.png.1f22b8e0feb357228dcfca6121357477.png

Sorry I must have missed them some way, I know nothing about JPEG.