Magazine ranks Thailand 9th best retirement spot on Earth

snoop1130

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

taking into account various factors including cost of living, cost of healthcare, cultural activities,

Well I must say there has been for many years a constant flow of "culture", sorry cultural, exchange going on.....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Mostly based on cost of living....

scratch the surface and Thailand is no-where near the best countries to retire.

and neither are these: Portugal, Mexico, Panama, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Spain, Greece, and France

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I have heard positive wrt Portugal and Costa Rica...  there are large numbers of Europeans retired in Spain too. If it was just about cost of living Cambodia and PI would get a mention...... Thailand just has a good mix of a lot of factors. 

Sure nice there...but many places are nice, being worldwide in the top 10. How is English skills in Portugal (if you can't speak Portuguese)?

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Probably better than Thailand.... they have been catering to tourists some many yeas. 

I do pretty well in Thailand with English....In places where it matters (doctors, pharmacies, etc) it was always excellent. And the young generation is even better.

It is not fantastic but good enough....I recall in Italy, next to the Vatican, so a tourist spot, they pretended to not speak 1 word English...not even understanding Yes and No.

(But Italian is somehow very easy to learn for me....in one week I could understand many things, while Thai seems very hard for me).

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, bignok said:

"After living in Chiang Mai, a large city in the north of Thailand, my life could not be better. Over the last seven years, I have not been bored, not even for a minute."

Must like temples more than me. I was getting bored after 2 weeks and I like temples.

Yes PM2.5 is really low????

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, blazes said:

Kind of depends WHERE you live in a particular country.

In Thailand:

Chiang Mai: 4 months of cancerous smog.

Bangkok:  immobile traffic.

Phuket:  ruinous prices for everything that a falang needs or wants.

Hua Hin:  Crossing the road is bad for your health.

Pattaya:  Lo-so.

Find a nice quiet village in Issan....but then you are bored pretty well to death in less than a week.

So, maybe not retire, but just visit for six months or so of every year...

Good summary

Lo so 555

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Mexico, Panama, Ecuador, Costa Rica... having lived in these 4 countries as well... Thailand beats them hands down... 

Difference of opinion I guess. I love Mexico... Heading to Colombia Wed.. Think I will check out the Philippines when I return from Colombia. IF I make it out alive, ugggg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

These polls are nonsense. I can pretty much guarantee that if your money could buy you the same amount anywhere else in the world as in Thailand, Thailand would be ranked in the 50's. Thailand is cheap and has lots of cheap totty , that is why it is ranked highly

Cheap is great.....you can live one or two steps above the standard that you could in a other country.....so cheap is a quality on itself (modifying a Stalin quote).

If your bones hurt and a massage costs 50 Euro you can't have it every day. If it costs 300 Baht you can. So for someone who needs it Thailand goes up 20 ranks with it.

(and if we do the same example with horny old men and girls it will win if the rest of the country looks like Antarctica) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, blazes said:

Kind of depends WHERE you live in a particular country.

In Thailand:

Chiang Mai: 4 months of cancerous smog.

Bangkok:  immobile traffic.

Phuket:  ruinous prices for everything that a falang needs or wants.

Hua Hin:  Crossing the road is bad for your health.

Pattaya:  Lo-so.

Find a nice quiet village in Issan....but then you are bored pretty well to death in less than a week.

So, maybe not retire, but just visit for six months or so of every year...

Nong Khai/pkk cool but boring after a while

Lets face it nowhere is gold.

• Like 1

Can't really compare the cost of retiring in France with Thailand. What would a nice condo by the beach cost in Cannes or one in the centre of Paris?

Edit i just checked 100sqm in Cannes 1 million Euros 36 million baht. Mine same size by the beach in Jomtien cost 3.6 million baht.

Edited by Henryford
  • Like 1