Passports for dual citizens

fredwiggy

6 minutes ago, Chiwi said:

The 6 month concept is to ensure you have adequate buffer on your passport doesn't expire while you are abroad and cannot return

There is no such requirement for exit as many countries do not even have such a rule and for return to Thailand there is no validity requirement at all (expired passport allows entry).

34 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

There is no such requirement for exit as many countries do not even have such a rule and for return to Thailand there is no validity requirement at all (expired passport allows entry).

I traveled earlier this year to the USA. My Thai passport had less than 6 months on it. I called the airline, they told me they would not let me board with less than 6 months on the Thai passport. That I had a US passport did not matter to them.

5 minutes ago, Chiwi said:

I traveled earlier this year to the USA. My Thai passport had less than 6 months on it. I called the airline, they told me they would not let me board with less than 6 months on the Thai passport. That I had a US passport did not matter to them.

Not taking a chance. I'll just get the Thai passport renewed. Going to immigration can be a problem here depending on the officer I get. I know they usually want 6 months on a passport before you fly, but with the Thai passport for my daughter I wasn't sure because it expires 2 months after I'm flying.

15 minutes ago, Chiwi said:

I don't understand that . Are you a US citizen? If so, you don't need a Thai passport anyway. My daughter was born here, and is a US citizen by birth, but still a Thai citizen born here so needs her Thai passport to at least come back to Thailand.

44 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I don't understand that . Are you a US citizen? If so, you don't need a Thai passport anyway. My daughter was born here, and is a US citizen by birth, but still a Thai citizen born here so needs her Thai passport to at least come back to Thailand.

I have US and Thai citizenship. I am required to enter/exit Thailand on my Thai passport. Don't know if its law or not but immigration started enforcing one of the coups ago, to prevent people on their watch list leaving on a foreign passport.

8 minutes ago, Chiwi said:

I have US and Thai citizenship. I am required to enter/exit Thailand on my Thai passport. Don't know if its law or not but immigration started enforcing one of the coups ago, to prevent people on their watch list leaving on a foreign passport.

If you're originally a US citizen, which I assume, couldn't you just bring your US passport and go and come back? I only have my US passport and just use that.

4 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

If you're originally a US citizen, which I assume, couldn't you just bring your US passport and go and come back? I only have my US passport and just use that.

I suspect he is born Thai but in any case he would have to have visa/extension of stay using foreign passport (easy enough to obtain but not what most would want to do).

Here's my personal experience.

I used to just use my US passport. Then I forgot about overstay once. Was quite the ordeal to sort out and was told I had to use my Thai passport from now on.

I have tried to just check in at airport counters w my US passport, but when I do, they check for the stamps, and when they see none, they ask if I have a Thai passport. I've done it enough times that I just always give them both. The Thai Passport to exit, the US passport to show I can enter where I am going.

When I renew my US passport at the embassy here, when they see no visa's or entry stamps, they ask if I have Thai citizenship.

I've dealt with one too many headaches to realize it's just easier to enter/exit on the Thai passport and renew it well before it expires. Thai passport renewals are very easy these days.

8 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

You can enter the US with an expired US passport. I assume the same is true for an expired Thai passport in Thailand.

I know entering the country of your citizenship with an expired passport isn't a problem. It's being allowed to board with one that expires less than 6 months from flight date that worried me, so it's easier to just get it renewed beforehand because dealing with officers you can get many outcomes.

• 5 weeks later...