Passports for dual citizens

fredwiggy

Traveling to the US in November with my daughter. She has both Thai and US passports. Both expire next year. The Thai one expires in

January 2024. I've searched a few places and get different stories. One said as long as it doesn't expire during the trip, it's okay to use. One said it must be 6 months after the stay period. We are coming back in December, one month trip. Another said as long as it's valid when we go, it would work. Nee ed a definitive answer as the embassy doesn't answer calls, just appointments.

9 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Traveling to the US in November with my daughter. She has both Thai and US passports. Both expire next year. The Thai one expires in

January 2024. I've searched a few places and get different stories. One said as long as it doesn't expire during the trip, it's okay to use. One said it must be 6 months after the stay period. We are coming back in December, one month trip. Another said as long as it's valid when we go, it would work. Nee ed a definitive answer as the embassy doesn't answer calls, just appointments.

Why stress about this. Just renew it soon. Its a very easy process and not expensive.

Whenever travelling it is prudent to always have a least 6 months left on a PP before it expires.

(renew the US PP while you are there).

Edited by couchpotato

1 minute ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Enter the USA with the US Passport... return to Thailand with the Thai Passport.

That's another thing I've been told, so I'm not sure what's true. Her US expires next June, so if that would work, it would be fine. If we leave using the US passport, coming back in December, that wouldn't be a problem, because the Thai expires the next month. Some have said it has to have 6 months after trip to be valid, but if I only had to show her US passport, I could renew the Thai one when we return

• Like 1

Just now, couchpotato said:

Why stress about this. Just renew it soon. Its a very easy process and not expensive.

Whenever travelling it is prudent to always have a least 6 months left on a PP before it expires.

Not a problem except her mom is working in Bangkok and would have to return and go with me to the UBON counselor to renew, leaving work for a couple of days. We aren't married anymore.

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

That's another thing I've been told, so I'm not sure what's true. Her US expires next June, so if that would work, it would be fine. If we leave using the US passport, coming back in December, that wouldn't be a problem, because the Thai expires the next month. Some have said it has to have 6 months after trip to be valid, but if I only had to show her US passport, I could renew the Thai one when we return

There are a few recent threads on this subject, so suggest you read them.

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Not a problem except her mom is working in Bangkok and would have to return and go with me to the UBON counselor to renew, leaving work for a couple of days. We aren't married anymore.

I was talking about the Thai PP.....

But why not you/daughter go to Bangkok for a day to renew, then wife (ex) only needs a few hours off work. PP will be posted to your home within a few days.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

I was talking about the Thai PP.....

But why not you/daughter go to Bangkok for a day to renew, then wife (ex) only needs a few hours off work. PP will be posted to your home within a few days.

Would be okay except the car has a few problems I'm going to get fixed soon, and traveling that far isn't wise. Ubon's an hour away, so having my ex come by bus would be much better, I will compensate her for the lost time. Just messaged her so waiting on reply. I searched but couldn't find any topics just like this one. If I can get her back before we leave, which is probable, renewing isn't a problem, as it only took a few days to get sent her first passport. If I could just use her US passport, there wouldn't be a problem.

Edited by fredwiggy

You leave Thailand on the passport entered on - if first trips out would just use Thai passport.  You enter USA on USA passport and leave on that.  Return Thailand on Thai passport.

No reason not to renew Thai passport now - passport office is in Bangkok and can be done quickly.

Apply for new US passport in Thailand after return (not time enough to get in USA due current backlogs).

You show other passports to airline staff to prove no visa required for entry.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

It is my understanding that farang passports must be valid for 6 months... not citizen passports

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You leave Thailand on the passport entered on - if first trips out would just use Thai passport.  You enter USA on USA passport and leave on that.  Return Thailand on Thai passport.

No reason not to renew Thai passport now - passport office is in Bangkok and can be done quickly.

Apply for new US passport in Thailand (not time enough to get in USA due current backlogs).

That's why I was asking, because a few searches said I could use her US passport to leave, and Thai to re enter. Passports have never been used.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

You did not mention but as minor suspect travel will require proof of other parents consent or documents proving sole custody.  

Yes, I need to get her to sign a letter with phone number. if they need to call her. She doesn't have a problem with my taking her to visit her family

Just points to remember. US citizen must by law enter and leave the US on US passport. Thai can fly to and enter Thailand on an expired passport.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html

Already come up a few times this summer with friends and colleagues. So many dual national kids these days  A lady didn’t bother to renew her Mexican/US daughters US passport and took her to Belize (no visa needed for Mexican) She was denied boarding trying to fly back to US. 

• Confused 1

So between now and November you cant make a one day trip to Bangkok that you coordinate with the wife to get a new passport? The passport office is right on Changwattana, easy to go to and from DM airport in just a few hours. Then you have peace of mind. 

She can enter on the Thai passport as she is Thai, but then in 2 months you are still going to have to renew. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, marin said:

So between now and November you cant make a one day trip to Bangkok that you coordinate with the wife to get a new passport? The passport office is right on Changwattana, easy to go to and from DM airport in just a few hours. Then you have peace of mind. 

She can enter on the Thai passport as she is Thai, but then in 2 months you are still going to have to renew. 

It would be much easier if she came back here and we went to the office in Ubon. Like I mentioned, my car isn't good for that long a trip right now.And I have to make sure the passport comes back to me in time. Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks for them to return the passport. I do have a little time to spare.

Edited by fredwiggy

7 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Just points to remember. US citizen must by law enter and leave the US on US passport. Thai can fly to and enter Thailand on an expired passport.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/travel-legal-considerations/Advice-about-Possible-Loss-of-US-Nationality-Dual-Nationality/Dual-Nationality.html

Already come up a few times this summer with friends and colleagues. So many dual national kids these days  A lady didn’t bother to renew her Mexican/US daughters US passport and took her to Belize (no visa needed for Mexican) She was denied boarding trying to fly back to US. 

That's one thing I saw, but it says "may" have to use the Thai passport to leave, not a definitive answer and nothing on expirations.

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

That's one thing I saw, but it says "may" have to use the Thai passport to leave, not a definitive answer and nothing on expirations.

They do not use Thai passport to leave - they may have to show airline to prove they do not require an onward ticket for entry into Thailand.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

They do not use Thai passport to leave - they may have to show airline to prove they do not require an onward ticket for entry into Thailand.

If that's the case, we're covered, as we will return before her Thai expires.

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

"6 month" rules do not apply when entering any country one is a passport holding citizen of

It is well know fact that Thai people can enter Thailand on an expired Thai passport

There may be some issue transiting certain countries with an expired passport, not sure

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Renew it now. I had a similar issue and went to  Robinson's Petchburi to get a new Thai passport. It took 15 minutes and got in 2 days later. 

19 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Yes, I'll be going to Ubon's office, which is pretty close. I'd like to renew just in case.

One other thing. When at the office to get my daughter's passport, I noticed that the spelling in her middle name was different to her UK passport, so got that fixed. This can now be an issue if going to the UK. 

I have two passports, my child has two passports. Your daughter should leave/enter Thailand on her Thai passport. If you try to leave on a US passport with no entry stamps, immigration is going to have lots of questions. When you check in, you will need to show the US passport, if they see no entry stamp, they will ask for the Thai passport. I fly a lot, I always have to show check in both passports. If you have less than 6 months on the Thai passport, they probably will deny you boarding. You could try to argue w the check in that the US passport will get you into America, and that you don't need 6 months on the Thai passport to return, good luck with that. Or you can just get it renewed and not take the risk.

Also, I suggest renewing US passport in Thailand via mail. US passports renewal processing time is up to 3 months now in the states. International renewals are less impacted by delays. I did mine a few months ago and it took 5 weeks.

15 minutes ago, Chiwi said:

If you have less than 6 months on the Thai passport, they probably will deny you boarding

She is not using that passport for entry to USA so there is no six month validity requirement.

But agree there is no reason not to obtain a new Thai passport prior to travel - takes only days and easy to do (even without a car).

Edited by lopburi3

27 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

She is not using that passport for entry to USA so there is no six month validity requirement.

But agree there is no reason not to obtain a new Thai passport prior to travel - takes only days and easy to do (even without a car).

The 6 month concept is to ensure you have adequate buffer on your passport doesn't expire while you are abroad and cannot return, this applies to the Thai passport. Showing the US passport is to prove that you can validly enter where you are going. The rules are not written with dual passports in mind. To ask check in to use logic to supersede the rules is a risk.