Bangkok Bank statement saying where funds are from?

I'm going to start transferring the 65k per month for a year then change from the existing 800k requirement for a retirement yearly extension. Funds coming from Barclays uk bank.

I've noticed that some transfers are listed as "Transfer A/C from another bank", others are listed as "International Transfer" which is what is needed for immigration.

I use the same system with Wise, direct transfer from the UK bank.

Is the difference between where the cash has come from on the statement because its smaller sums, (from 20k to 40k ish...  A/C from ano bank) or because I don't always tick the "use of funds needed for" same box, can never remember what I said the last time! or because larger amounts don't come immediately, can take 24hrs to arrive. Thanks 

I have the same problems. I had SCB bank but that's not one of Wise's transfer banks so was always a local transfer. So I opened a BKK Bank account as that IS one of the banks they use for international transfers. First transfer with Wise was international and after that local via Kasikorn. Wise said they can't guarantee who they will use. So I opened a Kasikorn account. Now it says local transfer and the partner is listed as Kasikorn. Can't win. I don't get it. My buddy uses Bkk Bank and has no issues with it showing as international transfer. Wise has been no help. I tried a year or so ago showing the bank "advice" which shows the paper trail and which Wise claims will help with Immi. Immi wouldn't accept it.

One can transfer with Wise via bank transfer and I'm not sure the fees from Wise but you will incur a wire fee from your UK bank. But they do say it will show as international. Good luck.

This only applies to Bangkok Bank but with Wise you must say reason for transfer "long term stay" or buying a property" for it to show as International. There have been reports of this still not working so test it, if it fails maybe transfer from UK bank to Bangkok Bank for that month

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 1:09 PM, scubascuba3 said:

This only applies to Bangkok Bank but with Wise you must say reason for transfer "long term stay" or buying a property" for it to show as International. There have been reports of this still not working so test it, if it fails maybe transfer from UK bank to Bangkok Bank for that month

That doesn't seem to matter in my case. I have always clicked, "For long term stay". I'm not really sure why Wise even has that menu. I think it's for our own memory. I have tried transferring 50 bucks and clicking on every option for reason for transfer and nothing ever changes. I chatted with a Wise rep and they said they cannot guarantee which bank they will use nor if it will be recorded as international or local. Again, not sure why some folks have zero issue with it showing international. Perhaps depends on what bank international bank it is fished from?

@Pappap - in order for your questions to be answered meaningfully, it would be helpful if you could indicate the Thai bank to which your monthly 65k transfers will be destined.

EDIT: I now see from the title of this thread that you refer to Bangkok Bank, so presumably it is they?

Edited by OJAS

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

are you saying you use Bangkok Bank and "long term stay" reason but still it doesn't settle as international? every transfer?

Yes, exactly what I am saying. I chatted with the rep and they said I could not tag the account for international transfer, as OJAS suggested. This is when I had opened the Bangkok Bank account and the first transfer showed as international. After that, only local. And the bank it came from was Kasikorn. So I opened a Kasikorn account. And it still says local transfer with the local bank being, wait for it: Kasikorn. This is with "Funds for long term stay in Thailand." I don't get it.

Wise can and do tag accounts to use BBL (but it is not guaranteed 100% as that account might not have funds and another bank use required to make on time).  But in my several years of using has been 100%.  Also list long term stay in Thailand as reason for transfer. 

In event transfer local listed immigration has accepted Wise transfer paperwork in some cases and believe in all will accept report issued by local bank making transfer to BBL account (although you will have to visit that bank to obtain).

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Because it's more expensive. But yes, you have a point. Just in a year of doing that you've spent $500 more in transfer fees than you would have with Wise.

$10 fee per SWIFT transer.  Maybe not as good a rate. But I sure do like to see that FTT in the BKK passbook every month.

• Like 1

I remember the Wise fee for SWIFT was low enough. But there are also the fine print speaking about the fee from the sending bank. I didn't check it but from prior years having sent money via SWIFT the rate is pretty high. Like sending Western Union. I would love to be wrong!

Edited by bamboozled
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

That is the bank side. I do not use WISE.

Then there is the lower exchange rate (much much lower if you send Baht).

Then there is any intermediate bank deduction.

Then there is the .25% (200 to 500 baht deduction) at Thailand bank end.

From Wise today:

1,500 USD (exchange rate 34.46)

$12.60 Wise fee (ACH bank transfer)

51,255.80 Baht into Thai account (no deduction).

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Oh right, sorry, mixed up my posters! Really, only $10 for a foreign transfer? From which country? That is very cheap, I'm surprised. I will look into it, for sure! Thank you.

Gotta be America surely but i could be wrong lol

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

I remember the Wise fee for SWIFT was low enough. But there are also the fine print speaking about the fee from the sending bank. I didn't check it but from prior years having sent money via SWIFT the rate is pretty high. Like sending Western Union. I would love to be wrong!

Thats why i changed to Wise from the UK HSBC Swift procedure, the charges were considerably higher.

Edited by Pumpuynarak
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bamboozled said:

Yes, exactly what I am saying. I chatted with the rep and they said I could not tag the account for international transfer, as OJAS suggested. This is when I had opened the Bangkok Bank account and the first transfer showed as international. After that, only local. And the bank it came from was Kasikorn. So I opened a Kasikorn account. And it still says local transfer with the local bank being, wait for it: Kasikorn. This is with "Funds for long term stay in Thailand." I don't get it.

The reasons for transfer only impact Bangkok Bank, so no surprise to me it did nothing at Kasikorn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bamboozled said:

I would try again with Wise to Tag the account, hopefully you'll get someone more knowledgeable next time, if not escalate. I haven't seen anyone so far who has tagged their account be processed as local

• Like 1

1 hour ago, norbra said:

I have been using Wise to my Kasikorn account for 5 years now without a problem.

Yes .my deposit shows as a local transfer.

After each transaction I call Kasikorn call centre and request a credit advice,this I receive by email and it shows money is from abroad.

I print these and use them for Immigration proof of international income.

Never a problem at Chaeng Wattana Immigration 

Well, that's very reassuring. Hmm, you have to do that each month and not just once right before going to Immi and get them all at the same time? Not terrible to do this but a bit of a PITA. I actually tried this a couple years ago to no avail. I was transferring to an SCB account and the Wise transfers went through 3 different banks, Kasikorn, Bangkok Bank, and Dee Money in Bkk. I spent a lot of time and some money getting all the credit advices (misleading name) from the 3 different banks. Granted it turned into a big pack of paper and I had plenty of other transactions in my SCB account. However, I high-lighted all the transfers to make it clear. Immi wasn't having it. They wouldn't even look at it. So I was forced to scramble. It's silly, of course, when not only can I show the corresponding monies exiting my US account and then showing up seconds later in my Thai account but where else would this money be coming from? Sure, I could have an illegal business in Thailand but the chances of that are slim. Well, par for the course for immigration dept. around the world. They don't want to make it easy.

Email from Wise after my call on May 30:

"

Following up on your call with us.

As promised I'm sending you additional information about THB transfers not being marked as international transfers and what to do in this situation.

If your transfer was not marked as International Transfer (even if you selected Funds for long term stay in Thailand or Purchase of Property for the transfer purpose) please contact our respective bank partners to get an FET form. See instructions below for Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn bank. We aren't authorized by the Bank of Thailand to issue FET forms. It’s because of how we work: when you send money with us, we use our Thai banking partners to send out your money locally. It doesn’t cross any borders, so it doesn’t show up as a foreign transaction.

How can you get a FET form?

The recipient needs to ask for a FET form from the partner bank that we paid your money out from. You can check which bank this is on your transfer receipt. To find it:

1. Go to the transfer in the Activity section of your Wise account

2. Click View transfer details

3. Click Download PDF receipt

4. Go to the second page to find banking partner details

Transfers sent via Bangkok Bank

How to contact:

• For a customer who maintains an account with Bangkok Bank: contact Bangkok Bank branch where you maintain the account.

• For a customer who maintains an account with another local bank in Thailand and if your funds transfer was sent through Bangkok Bank as an intermediary bank: 

• Contact Bangkok Bank Head Office branch via their call centre between during banking hours

• If you're located in a provincial area, you can contact your local Bangkok Bank branch to help you coordinate with the Bangkok Bank Head Office branch

Documents needed by Bangkok Bank:

• Passport of the recipient

• Evidence of transferring funds with Wise

• Savings passbook or statement of the account showing the international funds transfer transaction

• Credit Advice Receipt of the bank (if any)

• If your funds transfer purpose are for buying property in Thailand: Sales Purchase Agreement for the condominium in Thailand

Once Bangkok Bank has checked these documents, they’ll issue a confirmation letter to the recipient. They can then use this to prove that the money came from abroad.

Bangkok Bank may charge an administration fee.

Transfers sent via Kasikorn Bank

If the transfer was sent out by Kasikorn Bank, the recipient needs to go to their nearest Kasikorn Bank International Trade centre. They’ll need to bring:

• their Bank Savings Passbook or statement showing the transaction

• their passport

• their visa (if applicable)

Kasikorn Bank may charge an administration fee.

SWIFT transfers

Sometimes, we might send your transfer through a different banking partner who can’t provide a FET. This might be because of a technical issue, or some other unforeseen event.

If you know you definitely need a FET, it’s best that you send a SWIFT transfer with your bank this time. SWIFT is a more expensive method, because it’s not a local transfer. But it does mean you’ll be able to prove that the money came from abroad.

You can find more information about THB transfers here.

Hope you find this helpful. Let us know if you have any questions.

All the best
Max from Wise"

• Thanks 1

And here is another email I sent to Wise and then following it their response.

Me:

"

Hello, my recent transfers have arrived as local transfers and not international, including the one today. In fact, everyone this month whereas the ones last month were international. For visa purposes, I need the transfer to be international. Is there a way to change there to international or is there a way to know if future transfers will be local or international? Immigration, in my past experience, will not accept a bank advise or FET. This caused me a huge headache years ago and I thought I had solved this by opening up a Bangkok Bank account and sending the money there and not my SCB account. Last month was fine but as stated, this month they have all appeared as local transfers. Please advise. (and yes, I labeled them as "funds for long term stay" and even tried one as "funds for buying property" but without positive results.)"

Wise response:

"

Thank you for getting in touch.

When you send a transfer with the local currency (THB) the transfer is a local transfer.

This is because of how Wise works: with us when you send a cross-currency transfer (USD to THB), you pay to our USD account in the US and we send out the equivalent from our THB account located in Thailand.

Like this money never actually cross the borders so the transfer arrives earlier than traditional bank transfers.

International transfers are the ones when you receive a global currency (like USD, GBP or EUR) to your account, when the currency you receive is not the local currency.

If you want to send international transfers, these need to go through the SWIFT international payment network.

Here you can read more about sending USD to countries outside the US.

However Bangkok Bank (BBL) & Kasikorn Bank (Kbank) are capable of showing transfers as international transfers if we are sending through these banking partners.

We can help you to route your payments via your desired payout partners, however we can't promise that the payments are definitely going to be paid out with the partner you chose.

It can happen that there is an unforeseen scenario where a certain partner might be facing a technical issue. In this case the system will route the payment via another available partner to ensure same day delivery. 

Please, confirm if you'd like us to set this up for you and which partner you want to choose.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

Laura"

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Well, that's very reassuring. Hmm, you have to do that each month and not just once right before going to Immi and get them all at the same time? Not terrible to do this but a bit of a PITA. I actually tried this a couple years ago to no avail. I was transferring to an SCB account and the Wise transfers went through 3 different banks, Kasikorn, Bangkok Bank, and Dee Money in Bkk. I spent a lot of time and some money getting all the credit advices (misleading name) from the 3 different banks. Granted it turned into a big pack of paper and I had plenty of other transactions in my SCB account. However, I high-lighted all the transfers to make it clear. Immi wasn't having it. They wouldn't even look at it. So I was forced to scramble. It's silly, of course, when not only can I show the corresponding monies exiting my US account and then showing up seconds later in my Thai account but where else would this money be coming from? Sure, I could have an illegal business in Thailand but the chances of that are slim. Well, par for the course for immigration dept. around the world. They don't want to make it easy.

I call Kasikorn every month,although this is not necessary as Kasikorn will provide credit advice for multiple transactions,but when I was given this information 5 years ago it came with a  condition that 3 months in arrears were free ,transactions older than this would require payment for each transaction.

I have since read other posts where this charge was not applied..

So for my peace of mind I do the monthly routine.