Pheu Thai will try to get its candidate selected as PM next Thursday

snoop1130

So 224 (to escape the censors) wasn't the only issue? No, the hate campaign and the disinformation campaign unconstitutionally and libellously run by the Senate against Pita and the MFP maybe had something to do with it. And PT's notable absence of any support for certain MFP policies. If they're that chicken, they're not fit for government IMHO. You dump your friends at the first sign of trouble. You wouldn't want to go into battle with that lot, now would you? Join the rest of the yellow bellies.

• Like 1

PT is rapidly backtracking on its agreement to form a coalition with a party that had a policy to amend 112. This is despite Thaksin being quoted in Wikileaks telling the US ambassador the law had to go, as it was incompatible with democracy, and Sretha apparently saying on Tik Tok that it was OK to amend the law but not abolish it.

13 hours ago, anchadian said:

As to which of the party’s three candidates it will be, he said that they have yet to decide.

The party’s three candidates are Paetongtarn Shinawatra, Srettha Thavisin and Chaikasem Nitisiri.  The party is scheduled to decide on July 16th.

Excuse me. 

My bold,

July 16th has been and gone.

• Haha 1

While there is pressure to get this done before the holiday on 28 July, and a potential 5-day weekend (Asanha Bucha Day, Tuesday 1 Aug), I can't see PTP being successful unless they agree to many, many terms with the Senate. And if they choose to acquiesce to the Senate they will doom themselves as a political party.

No win situation.

Maybe they can scramble after a No vote, and put something together in order to save face at the last minute?

Edited by bamnutsak

11 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

PT is rapidly backtracking on its agreement to form a coalition with a party that had a policy to amend 112. This is despite Thaksin being quoted in Wikileaks telling the US ambassador the law had to go, as it was incompatible with democracy, and Sretha apparently saying on Tik Tok that it was OK to amend the law but not abolish it.

Good point. It's been targeted with a massive misinformation campaign by certain powerful actors in the senate as being disloyal, seditious, and an attempt to overthrow democracy. It's nothing of the sort. Simply an amended version, copies of which have been widely distributed for anyone to read, and which would have to be debated and voted on by the lower house. Not much chance of getting it through without a house majority in any event. But it terrifies the old lags in the Senate. They don't get to vote on parliamentary business, apart from the rare instances like this one, so they can't control what goes on there on a daily basis.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, keith101 said:

So were probably going to end up with yet another Shinawatra as PM and a crap Government same same never ends one way or another they will always take over 

Take over? if you mean win an election and take their seat then yes. The last time Thailand enjoyed a bouyant economy and good relations with the the leaders of other countries was under Thaksin. If anyone can set this country straight, get the economy moving again and sort out these dinosaurs on the senate it's him.  And they know it!

Edited by Jackbenimble
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sambum said:

What has this post got to do with teen violence in Pattaya - which is what I clicked on!

Wrong topic mate. This one is all about the adult children looking to run the country.

Close though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I honestly don't care if Winnie the Pooh or Paddington bear wins the vote for Prime minister.

It's all a complete charade of which we have no say or power or influence.......... A bit like the voting Thai public!

My life will not change one jot whilst this circus is ongoing or after it is finished.

It will all be down to the number cruncher's in Bangkok as to who gets the biggest slice of the pie! 

The Thai public?  They will moan and whinge but nothing will change and they will just get used to it like they always have done.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sherwood said:

Wrong topic mate. This one is all about the adult children looking to run the country.

Close though.

Wrong answer,”mate”. 

Try clicking on the story he references then wonder why it's taking you back here...

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, sherwood said:

Close though.

Yes, wrong topic - that's my point!!!

But I do like your analogy!

In my humble opinion the unelected senators will not pick any of the candidates as long as they are in coalition with MF party it would be better if the coalition stuck together and allowed a minority government to take charge and once the unelected senators term ends in 10 months the coalition could place a vote of no confidence and hold new elections however PT might decide to get into bed with the military and ban MF Party if there is no PM elected next week that the people approve of I can only see mass demonstrations throughout the Kingdom for months to come 

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Wrong answer,”mate”. 

Try clicking on the story he references then wonder why it's taking you back here...

What are you referring to fella not sure we are on the same page nchnuckle?

Have no idea why you're having a go at my reply. 

Oh, this is satire, yer?

Work on it.

Edited by sherwood

10 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

In my humble opinion the unelected senators will not pick any of the candidates as long as they are in coalition with MF party it would be better if the coalition stuck together and allowed a minority government to take charge and once the unelected senators term ends in 10 months the coalition could place a vote of no confidence and hold new elections however PT might decide to get into bed with the military and ban MF Party if there is no PM elected next week that the people approve of I can only see mass demonstrations throughout the Kingdom for months to come 

I totally agree. A brilliant no fuss, no frills solution. Any unpopular move the minority government made the majority opposition could just stamp on. In fact, the opposition could effectively run the country, bringing in any amount of legislation which the pitiful minority government would be helpless to prevent. And the Bentstate don't get to vote on parliamentary bills (I dont think).

Edited by bradiston

5 hours ago, sherwood said:

What are you referring to fella not sure we are on the same page nchnuckle?

Have no idea why you're having a go at my reply. 

Oh, this is satire, yer?

Work on it.

Sorry to learn of your reading and comprehension difficulties…

On 7/21/2023 at 6:22 PM, snoop1130 said:

The Pheu Thai party will try to have its prime ministerial candidate approved by parliament at a joint sitting of the House and Senate on July 27th, s click here.

Protests were scheduled today in Bangkok but were canceled due to rain.  People are pissed about all of this.  It's not going well;  I'm not sure this military coup is going to be the same as last time... but it's for sure coming, you know it is.  They are decertifying all the senators that voted for Pita, which is infuriating a lot of people, not just the orange shirts!   Be safe everyone; we're going to see tanks in the streets soon.