friend requests on FaceBook

sirineou

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

so your friend list is likely many fakes who use their profile for dodgy things like selling items etc, it doesn't effect you so you don't care

No my list have no fake profiles

10 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I get this on FB as well.  It's almost always women with a very small profile that seems very dubious.  I also get this on LINE with some stupid reason as to why they are contacting me.  I just reply that no, we have never met blah, blah, blah.  

I had one where this apparent beautiful Hong Kong girl contacted me on Line apparently by accident. I have too much time on my hands, so I let it continue, and she was convincing that she worked as a share trader etc etc, and even gave me tips that turned out terrible, but there was no initial scam. Sent me photos. Brief phone call. Was actually fun. She knew I had a girlfriend as she is on my line picture.

Ends up I think she was in fact a pretty girl from Hong Kong and her plan was to get a nice present. A bit later she said it was her birthday and would I buy her this $3000 handbag. I made a few jokes about it which she didn't understand, or did not want to understand, and then disappeared once she realised no handbag was forthcoming. Common I am sure but my first time. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

What? Are you paying for reading here? I can do it for free.

My friend ,  i am sure you can do it for free someplace else, what you here for is the quality. :tongue:

The first three are free after that you got to pay 3.99 plus shipping and handling. Taxes might apply, consult with your local BS provider. :smile:

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I had one where this apparent beautiful Hong Kong girl contacted me on Line apparently by accident. I have too much time on my hands, so I let it continue, and she was convincing that she worked as a share trader etc etc, and even gave me tips that turned out terrible, but there was no initial scam. Sent me photos. Brief phone call. Was actually fun. She knew I had a girlfriend as she is on my line picture.

Ends up I think she was in fact a pretty girl from Hong Kong and her plan was to get a nice present. A bit later she said it was her birthday and would I buy her this $3000 handbag. I made a few jokes about it which she didn't understand, or did not want to understand, and then disappeared once she realised no handbag was forthcoming. Common I am sure but my first time. 

They reckon it's rife on wechat with the Chinese 

10 hours ago, sirineou said:

My friend ,  i am sure you can do it for free someplace else, what you here for is the quality. :tongue:

The first three are free after that you got to pay 3.99 plus shipping and handling. Taxes might apply, consult with your local BS provider. :smile:

Ok, in that case, can you give me an appointment, dear provider?

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2023 at 8:30 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I get them too, usually a pretty woman with very few photos, probably a male scammer trying to build up friends before they do something dodgy.

I don't accept friend requests unless i know the person 

Not all are scammers, yes some of them are. I actually met about a dozen in real life also met my wife on Facebook 20 years ago. But now and then I get requests to be a sugar daddy.

• Sad 2

On 7/22/2023 at 8:21 PM, stoner said:

i don't have any friends. come to think of it i don't have facebook either. 

I do not have Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook so instead I walkabout the streets shouting to randomly selected people what I've eaten, drunk, and what my home looks like.
It is after all important to build networks.
So far I have 3 followers, one is apparently a doctor and the others are policemen.

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, lom said:

I do not have Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook so instead I walkabout the streets shouting to randomly selected people what I've eaten, drunk, and what my home looks like.
It is after all important to build networks.
So far I have 3 followers, one is apparently a doctor and the others are policemen.

that was you ? :)

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2023 at 4:31 AM, still kicking said:

I had many requests just one night and none was from Thai girls just from American and European stop picking on Thais 

mine tend to be chinese looking singaporeans - they get blocked without a response. 

On 7/22/2023 at 7:22 PM, sirineou said:

So all of a sudden I get replies on funny things I posted on FB , Some young lady loves  my sense of humor and would like to be my friend. So I look at the profile picture and OHHH Baby. It has happened twice , and of course I ignored it. 

I am funny , but I am not  funny between the ears ????.

These are not simple friend requests from people I don't know, these are replies from with in conversations I have in the FB groups I belong . 

Anyway I posted this as a warning ,Be careful out there. 

I am sure I am not the only one this is happening too.  

I got two in the past week, women of Asian origin claiming to live in Canada, and right, both said that something I’d posted on my own timeline was funny. One said that I was “among the recommended friends,” whatever that means. I had a brief chat (via FB Messenger) with one of them; it was pretty innocuous and didn’t lead anywhere. I have no idea if they are women who are bored or phishing, or if they’re trolls, or not who they look like, or what, but I go by the general rule that anything I post on Facebook is immediately in the public domain, so I don’t post much. Not too concerned about it …

• Like 1

Pretty odd, I get friend invites from girls around who see me being tagged in my wifes posts, or if common friends of us tagg me and my wife. My wife not to happy, but it kind of amuses me when I show her, but never accept any invitations from who I never met personally. I can only be invited by friends of friends, as well only recieve messages if we have common friends, which completely eliminates strangers with no connections at all. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Thumbs Up 1

I get many responses on ThaiFriendly but rarely fit my criteria I put like city, age, etc.

The other day I got one from a lady (supposedly) from Bangkok. Normally I delete as I am in Chiang Mai. But she was attractive so I thought I say hello. She replied and asked me did I date Thai girls. Conversation went on around that theme awhile. I asked her what she did and she said an entrepreneur owning a beauty shop that does the usual lady body modifications, and, crypto investor. Last part got me curious as not common and I am one and have done a few posts on the topic. I asked her why she contacted me as I was a long way away. She read but never replied.

On 7/22/2023 at 7:30 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I get them too, usually a pretty woman with very few photos, probably a male scammer trying to build up friends before they do something dodgy.

I don't accept friend requests unless i know the person 

Even if you know the person there's no guarantee that it's not a scammer who's hacked your friend's account.

Almost monthly I'll get a message from a friend saying "if you get a friend request from me, ignore it. I've been hacked".

• Thumbs Up 1

So all of a sudden I get replies on funny things I posted on FB , Some young lady loves  my sense of humor and would like to be my friend. So I look at the profile picture and OHHH Baby. It has happened twice , and of course I ignored it. 

These are not simple friend requests from people I don't know, these are replies from with in conversations I have in the FB groups I belong . 

Congratulations on becoming part of the club. Hundreds of young, pretty girls find me fascinating … immediately blocked. Could some few be real … oh, be still my beating heart. But bottom line . I am quite happy here in Thailand with my Thai wife and Stepdaughter.

• Love It 1

An additional twist is that I have gotten requests from people who are already FB friends. This is a “phishing” technique whereby they gain access to your contact information, known as “cloning”.

So far it has only been used to try to get me to invest in some scams, but not sure how to eliminate the phony ones vs actual acquaintances. I have tried reporting to FB, but per usual the are singularly unhelpful.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 7:46 PM, sirineou said:

Yea I am sure of that ,. Build up a friendship and then the sad story comes. 

The first time I got it I was . Yea I am a pretty funny guy and handsome man but aaaa No. 

Second time it had Nigerian prince written all over it LOL

The Nigerian Prince is definitely a scam, because I have already replied to his Widow, and will receive the millions any day now.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Kwaibill said:

An additional twist is that I have gotten requests from people who are already FB friends. This is a “phishing” technique whereby they gain access to your contact information, known as “cloning”.

So far it has only been used to try to get me to invest in some scams, but not sure how to eliminate the phony ones vs actual acquaintances. I have tried reporting to FB, but per usual the are singularly unhelpful.

Its a problem.

I have altered my name , and B-day on facebook , My friends only know me by the picture, Not sure if it helps, or if they care who I am. Funny thing is that my friends keep sending birthday wishes on the wrong day. I always thank them and ask them if I realy wook forty LOL. 

Always If you get a request for vital info, always not respond or hung up and , contact the friend or call the institution  yourself. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I've had a bunch lately, mainly from my daughter's classmates. I am a retired teacher, and this group of girls, who haven't bothered their admittedly pretty little heads for the last 5 years, have just discovered that you need some English to get into the two local universities.

"Mr John, Lucy says you might help me..."

Still, keeps me from being lazy!

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Some people I know seem to like to "collect friends". Like is it some kind of badge of honor, to have over 1,000 "friends". I have seen some accounts with 5,000 friends. Nobody has 5,000 relationships with people. It is just another bizarre aspect of modern, contemporary popular culture, something I just cannot relate to. However, I am not a big social media guy. I consider twitter, instagram, and especially tiktok, to be highly corrosive and part of the reason for the decline of culture and modern civilization. Facebook does not seem as toxic. But, collecting friends is just bizarre, regardless.

I have 24 and all are close associates or family. 

Actually FB is very corrosive in that it portraits an unrealistic picture of ones life that can make others feel inadequate. I read an article about it a while back. I remember of one example where the person took a picture of a beautiful sunset with natural  scenery . Who would not be envious of that, What the picture did not show was that on the other side there was fish cannery . If I remember correctly. My wife always takes pictures of the great food she eats, and places she goes and makes her friends jealous, but she never takes pictures of all the food she burns  LOL. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I consider twitter, instagram, and especially tiktok, to be highly corrosive and part of the reason for the decline of culture and modern civilization.

At least partly because of how they reduce the human attention span. Even forums like this one are at fault in that way. Serious topics are raised that warrant serious discussion in public forums, but it’s hard to make a valid point in two sentences or less, which seems the norm in social media, constrained either by the software or by convention (nobody’s going to read past the first couple of sentences). Pretty soon, the best you can do is start hurling insults at the party you’re “respectfully disagreeing” with. <sigh> It’s addictive though!

of course pretty much everyone ubder the age of fifty has long eschewed facebook

Ahh,
The romance scammers... its easier to delete the requests, if you picture the little darling as being a fat sweaty nigerian sitting in his darkened basement with only a dusty 286 computer for company ... Apart from the bitcoin mining operation running in the corner..