A registered letter to Australia takes 2 weeks?

giddyup

16 hours ago, MikeN said:

With Westpac I had to log in normally then provide 2 of my passport number, Aus drivers license, medicare card or Aus birth certificate. Passport was easy, but luckily the system accepted the number of an expired drivers license ! Those numbers are checked with an electronic data verification system, which might be worrying for the tinfoil hat brigade. Then I got an email saying all ok :

We're happy to let you know that we successfully confirmed your identity online using the electronic verification services of one or more of the following entities:

Equifax Pty Limited;

Equifax Australia Information Services and Solutions Pty Limited (EAISS), operator of Equifax's electronic verification service; and/or

Experian Australia Credit Services Pty Ltd (Experian)

It did make me wonder about the 100 point check needed to open an account originally, some 30 or more years ago.....have I changed my ID since then ?

I also had to go through the same process.  Passport accepted, but birth certicicate extract not (it was issued in 1987).  Went back to the page to try driver's licence, but the site had locked me out.  Ended up having to get authorised copies of passport and birth certificate, cost Baht 2,000, and then Baht 1,200 postage.  I agree with you last statement/question.