Traffic safety: Ten main traffic laws enforced over long public holiday

snoop1130

20 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Thailand has the same percentage of police officers per 100,000 people as the USA, yet for some reason we never see them enforcing any rules/laws, unless in one of these publicity stunts. If they were out patrolling the roads daily and enforcing the existing laws (again Thai laws/rules almost exactly the same as other countries) they could make a big difference in safety here in Thailand, which would attract way more "quality tourist". 

I did the online Thai driving test and it taught me one thing. The rules here are pretty much the same as in the UK where I passed my test 52 years ago. The police just don't enforce them here. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:
20 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

I wonder if the Deputy Commander understands he is incompetent and unfit for the job, it's highly unlikely he got his job on merit.

how would you even know if that were true? You had neevr heard of him until you read this.

Just a few days ago he was mentioned as a possible choice to be the next police chief.

• Thumbs Up 1

A few days ago I posted on here albeit as a joke that I thought the police were working  from home because the roads were so dangerous.

My wife and I drove down from her work in Roi Et to a hotel in Nangrong, Buriram on Thursday evening and then on down to another hotel on the northern side of Khao Yai the next day. We had to return home to Mahasarakham on Sunday as she has to work on Monday due to the government's poor planning of the holiday.

As we drove back I mentioned this thread and she agreed that she hadn't seen any police at all either. I was thinking of coming on here to suggest that maybe the reason for the lack of police was that they were all on holiday. I imagined them all on the beach with their girlfriends whilst their wives were at home.

As we approached Phon in Khon Kaen I shouted "There's one!!" I'd seen a policeman crouched on the left side of his pickup with a tripod in front of him. Was it a speed camera? Or maybe it was just a cover for him using his phone? A little further on there were a group of police looking at notes in front of them and pulling vehicles over. I assume they had numbers for those that were speeding, or as many as the first guy could record, as most seemed to be speeding anyway. It then occurred to me that maybe nobody had told the police in Phon that it was a holiday, so they were working. 

Any other sightings of the Lesser Rarely Spotted Thai Traffic Cop over the holiday. Do I get a prize?

On 7/28/2023 at 5:33 PM, ikke1959 said:

I haven't seen anything on the roads yet that shows they are checking..Only yesterday there was a policeman at a roundabout and it was quit a mess but he only was watching and doing nothing to let the traffic go smoothly...

I got stopped at 4am on Friday morning by a large road block featuring about 10 cops. They were breathalizing people but for some reason they took one look at me and waved me through.

This was on Rachada Ramintra Road. I often do that route at that time and it's the first time they've been there. 

So I reckon they were taking it a bit more seriously.

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

I got stopped at 4am on Friday morning by a large road block featuring about 10 cops. They were breathalizing people but for some reason they took one look at me and waved me through.

This was on Rachada Ramintra Road. I often do that route at that time and it's the first time they've been there. 

So I reckon they were taking it a bit more seriously.

4 am on Friday morning??? It should be crowded than at that time

11 hours ago, kimamey said:

A few days ago I posted on here albeit as a joke that I thought the police were working  from home because the roads were so dangerous.

My wife and I drove down from her work in Roi Et to a hotel in Nangrong, Buriram on Thursday evening and then on down to another hotel on the northern side of Khao Yai the next day. We had to return home to Mahasarakham on Sunday as she has to work on Monday due to the government's poor planning of the holiday.

As we drove back I mentioned this thread and she agreed that she hadn't seen any police at all either. I was thinking of coming on here to suggest that maybe the reason for the lack of police was that they were all on holiday. I imagined them all on the beach with their girlfriends whilst their wives were at home.

As we approached Phon in Khon Kaen I shouted "There's one!!" I'd seen a policeman crouched on the left side of his pickup with a tripod in front of him. Was it a speed camera? Or maybe it was just a cover for him using his phone? A little further on there were a group of police looking at notes in front of them and pulling vehicles over. I assume they had numbers for those that were speeding, or as many as the first guy could record, as most seemed to be speeding anyway. It then occurred to me that maybe nobody had told the police in Phon that it was a holiday, so they were working. 

Any other sightings of the Lesser Rarely Spotted Thai Traffic Cop over the holiday. Do I get a prize?

I forgot to mention, when we got home a letter had just been delivered. It was a speeding fine from a traffic camera on the 28th, we were trying to work out who was driving when we noticed it was from 28th June when I was in the UK so not me. Seems a long time for it to arrive. We may get another one in a months time from our last trip. 

Edited by kimamey

7 hours ago, kimamey said:

I forgot to mention, when we got home a letter had just been delivered. It was a speeding fine from a traffic camera on the 28th, we were trying to work out who was driving when we noticed it was from 28th June when I was in the UK so not me. Seems a long time for it to arrive. We may get another one in a months time from our last trip. 

Father or brother in -law?

2 hours ago, kimamey said:

My wife was driving on the 28th. If we get another for the weekend then it could be either myself or my wife although she does tend to drive faster.

My Mrs drives between Pattaya and Korat a lot.....I haven't been there for ages,, she sure makes good time!

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2023 at 3:34 PM, lordgrinz said:

Thailand has the same percentage of police officers per 100,000 people as the USA, yet for some reason we never see them enforcing any rules/laws, unless in one of these publicity stunts. If they were out patrolling the roads daily and enforcing the existing laws (again Thai laws/rules almost exactly the same as other countries) they could make a big difference in safety here in Thailand, which would attract way more "quality tourist". 

THailand has 338 officers per 100 k and the USA has 242.

Both police forces are paramilitary and neither has much interest in road safety, but Thailand simply doesn't have a trained up and equiped highway patrol.

However, enforcement is only one factor in bringing about safer roads in Thailand. In fact the police aren't even all of that - to enforce you need coursts and legal system that works ans=d roads that are properly demarcated and defined.

Then there are all the other equally important factors in road safety.

Just now, kwilco said:

THailand has 338 officers per 100 k and the USA has 242 per 100k.

TH US has a very poor road safety record overall with a death rate in 4-wheeled vehicles that is higher than Thailand's.

Both police forces are paramilitary and neither has much interest in road safety, but Thailand simply doesn't have a trained up and equipped highway patrol.

However, enforcement is only one factor in bringing about safer roads in Thailand. In fact the police aren't even all of that - to enforce you need courts and legal system that works ans=d roads that are properly demarcated and defined.

Then there are all the other equally important factors in road safety.

On 7/28/2023 at 10:47 PM, 2long said:

So, it's news that the police need to enforce laws because it's a long weekend?

I'll drive like a <deleted> for the rest of the year then... but not this weekend. Am I safe?

Take the amulet(s) to be on the safe side.????????

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Many of the "accident" stories I've read include "The driver died...fled the scene..." so at least that part will be easy for them. :wai:

Most of the accidents I've seen, the bodies/wounded are being whisked away by the EMT contractors long before a cop shows up - so maybe "Mobilizing Rapid Response Teams" refers to trying to beat them to the scene or monitoring their radios.

• Thumbs Up 1