Despite Being Blasted, Chuwit Insists Thaksin Not Returning On Aug. 10

webfact

4 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

You couldn't dream up this much instability, Thaksin returning will do nothing but turn up the heat on the overboiling pot. If he comes back and goes to jail, half the population will be in an uproar, if he comes back and doesn't go to jail, the ever-powerful Elites will be in an uproar. The only possible way it could work is if he is given a pardon on the condition he never speaks of politics again, or takes any part in politics again, then hides from the public eye. God forbid he dies while in custody, that might actually start a Civil War, there is really no good outcome with him returning, which is why they let him live in exile.

Your right, if he returns, gets a pardon, goes home, becomes a caring grandad and stays out of public eyes, certainly some people will be very popular having done that. Also the people will be very happy, he has a big following. 

But how long that will last for is another matter. 

• Love It 1

4 hours ago, candide said:

It's not the army who grants royal pardons, so if there is a promise made, it will be made to the person who can grant a 'royal' pardon. It also won't be the army who will define the content of the promise.

It may be added that, unlike the current faction in power (it was Prem's faction), Thaksin has been a loyal support to this person for some time. 

So who replaced Prem?

Ex-PM Gen Surayud Chulanont, Prem's right-hand man, was chosen to replace Prem as the all powerful head of the Privy Council. Surayud has been one of Thaksin's greatest critics all along. You can read about their relationship here, WIKI.

Good luck on the pardon.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pomchop said:

How many people would NOT want to run away after being removed by a military coup and their courts?  He would have been an idiot not to hit the road as the deck was stacked against him.

He didn't run, he was told to leave and allowed to take his money with him.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It would be very risky to lock up Thaksin at this time. Very, very risky.

I hated Bush Jr. at the time he was president. Then came Trump. And Jr. seemed like a statesman and a patriot by comparison. I feel the same way about Thaksin. Loathed him at the time. Now, compared to Prayuth he seemed like a stable genius, a highly competent leader and a man who actually cared about the masses. Corrupt? They all are. At least he got stuff done. There is a reason why millions still love him, and only a slim minority of highly conservative, very conventional, very closed minded people still support Prayuth. What this guy should be saying right now is:

We are very, very sorry. We are stubborn and obstinate men. We have been big bosses for a long time, and been surrounded by yes people. So, it very hard for us to be humble.

But, we have seen the collapse in the export market.

We have seen the utter demise of the tourism industry, that some corrrectly blame us for. We realize Covid was just one factor. Keeping the nation closed for far too long was a big mistake. We have seen that millions are out of work, and we fear this economic meltdown will last many years. Did we cause that? Well, we admit we are at least partly responsible. 

Prayuth has never had any sincere interest in helping the proletariat here. They are the furthest thing from his mind, unless he needed them for an upcoming election. Then, it is only a charade. By comparison, Thaksin actually did things that benefitted the masses, and the elite despised him for that. Yet, all these years later, millions still love and support him. And by comparison, Prayuth is deeply despised by all but a small percent of the nation. Why? Because he is the very definition of an empty suit, he and his deeply flawed health minister allowed Covid to spread, with their highly selective economic shutdowns, and their historic vaccine failure. In addition, he has done little to nothing to help his people in their greatest time of need, and he spends his days protecting goons. 

I could go on. Nobody I speak with, nobody I know, no Thais I encounter support him, at this time. All is lost. Woe is Thailand with dinosaurs like these guys in charge.

I believe you received every emoji possible. First time I've seen that.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, rabas said:

So who replaced Prem?

Ex-PM Gen Surayud Chulanont, Prem's right-hand man, was chosen to replace Prem as the all powerful head of the Privy Council. Surayud has been one of Thaksin's greatest critics all along. You can read about their relationship here, WIKI.

Good luck on the pardon.

Does he have the same level of influence? I doubt it.

On 7/31/2023 at 8:31 AM, bannork said:

He's a coward because when the red shirts faced off against the army, he said he would be back on the front line as soon as the first shots were fired 

When the first shots were fired, he went shopping in a Paris luxury brand store.

He's a coward because he didn't dare debate Abhisit on TV prior the election ( years back). He claimed it wasn't Thai style.

He's a coward because he tried to shut down criticism of himself. Papers were deprived of state revenue and individuals were sued. 

By that rationale, every Thai politician before and since is also a coward.

10 hours ago, rabas said:

So who replaced Prem?

Good luck on the pardon.

Yet, the Privy Council has always played a traditional role as an influential advisory. Any decisive and final word comes from above. From what I understand, the present relationship between the PC and the Royal House is not what it use to be....

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, rabas said:

Arguably more, all things considered including that he is a recent appointment.

My comment was more about the person who may grant a pardon not being (comparatively if you get what I mean) of the type to be easily influenced

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

Chuwit may well be correct:

News reports that Former PM Thaksin Shinawatra has postponed his trip back to #Thailand, which was expected on August 10. No confirmation from his family yet.

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1686919723517349888

Chuwit is almost always correct. Most trustworthy news source in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1