Silly pronoun use ... IMHO

KhunLA

1 hour ago, Mr Derek said:

They do it to be deliberately provocative. They could have invented completely new pronouns, but no - they want to commandeer existing pronouns. It's madness because it's simply confusing.

The only explanation is that it's a attempt to shoehorn themselves into the existing scheme, and if that upsets the everyday meaning of things, then so be it. Subverting the normal order - undermining the foundations of conventional society - is one of their defining characteristics.  

Sure, I'll accept your preferred pronouns.

As long as you accept mine.

Agreed?

Groovy.

Cool beans.

My pronoun shall be "Massa."

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

Yes, there are many ways to mutilate a language, some endearing, others not so much. The American southern drawl I find just as obnoxious as the London accent of my home city, it took me years to get rid of it.

Well shucks, bust my buttons, reckon y'all feel cleansed now.  Them there accents, they be a chick magnet in the states.   ????

8 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Anyone expecting me to call them, i.e. only one person, 'they' or 'them', would hear from me: "We (l) don't do that."

That might elicit the reply, '' Oh, are you as confused as me'', to which you could reply, ''Y'all knows ah wus jus jokin.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Agree.

I'm still have issue with the redefining of 'vaccine'  so big Pharma could avoid lawsuits.   That took things to a new level.

Along the same lines.  BUT ... Another topic for another day/thread.  Same with history being rewritten.

Let's keep it on pronouns ...

... so, 2 full pages and we're all still civil ... ok, told I lied, instead of being mistaken, but probably just 'misspoke' ????

You appear innocent of Wrongspeak so far. Well done.????

Not so sure about Wrongthink. 

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Generally speaking? Woke left wingers who's default response to an interesting conversation is "You can't say that!!!".

Translation: Right wingers want to be able to spout willful ignorance, hatred and bigotry and be guaranteed to never face any consequences for any of their speech.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Callmeishmael said:

spacer.png

Here is the person from the OP.  If I hadn't been told differently, I'd say that they's a she.  Of course, in Thailand there are a lot of he's that look like she's!

Her hair and boots shout they.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I could care less and wonder why does anyone else. 

People complaining about this when there are so many incredibly serious issues in the world. Crazy.

The problem is: these sniveling little maniacs are telling people how to speak the English language. Like, seriously, how dare they?

Language changes take time, you can't shove it down people's throats.

That's not the solution to everything, unfortunately.

You get to choose your own name, but you don't get to introduce countless new pronouns to the English language and then force everyone to use them.

• Like 1

Just now, FruitPudding said:

The problem is: these sniveling little maniacs are telling people how to speak the English language. Like, seriously, how dare they?

Language changes take time, you can't shove it down people's throats.

That's not the solution to everything, unfortunately.

You get to choose your own name, but you don't get to introduce countless new pronouns to the English language and then force everyone to use them.

Brownie points for not saying people are shoving their pronouns down your throat.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Callmeishmael said:

spacer.png

Here is the person from the OP.  If I hadn't been told differently, I'd say that they's a she.  Of course, in Thailand there are a lot of he's that look like she's!

It's not that difficult.

My instincts tell me this is a female.

Having acquired English as my first language in the pre-woke era, I will naturally call her 'she' and it's correct to do so.

It's just natural because that's the way we acquired the language. It may be different in a few decades.

The English language is free and changes.

35 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

New ones, pronouns or words are introduced all the time, and accepted.  But you really can't take established pronouns, that don't even come close to what you are trying to say.   They & Them in a singular form just doesn't read or sound right.

"Hey where's Bob ? "

..."They went to the bar to grab a beer"

"Cool, who's with Bob ?"

... "He's alone"

"huh ... ????"

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

New ones, pronouns or words are introduced all the time, and accepted.  But you really can't take established pronouns, that don't even come close to what you are trying to say.   They & Them in a singular form just doesn't read or sound right.

"Hey where's Bob ? "

"Cool, who's with Bob ?"

... "He's alone"

"huh ... ????"

Exactly

But the new words that are introduced to English come naturally, rather than forced on some moral high ground.

• Like 1

What on Earth are you people on about? "Singular they" has been used for hundreds of years to refer to people in (you guessed it) singular. It's not some recent invention of the woke movement, as you seem to think.

The fact that you thought it was incorrect really says alot about your English skills.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

"Hey where's Bob ? "

"Cool, who's with Bob ?"

... "He's alone"

"huh ... ????"

Oh come on !

The singular pronoun They is used when the subject has been introduced but the sex has not been identified.

" They " as a singular pronoun is used in spoken English regularly , and is recorded in literature from 18th , 19th century.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, blackcab said:

The issue as I see it, is that pronouns (he, she, they, etc.) are normally used when the person is not present. When the person is present you would normally use their name.

What this means is that a person who wants you to use their preferred pronouns wants to compel you to use their choice of words whenever you are not in their presence.

Not even most governments compel you to use words that are not your own choice. As such preferred pronouns are always going to be on the opposing side to people arguing for their own US freedom of speech or EU Article 11 rights.

Freedom of Speech doesn't seem to be allowed in this instance in a few states, (USA) as people have lost their jobs for not using someone's preferred pronoun.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bubblegum said:

I'm not English/American?etc. so I'm not sure but for someone complaining about the use of language you (OP) seen to be using the word "actually" a lot and not in the way it is supposed to be used?

You might want to look up the definition.  Actually I am ... ????