Google Maps issue

bignok

1 minute ago, bignok said:

On my phone

The screen on your phone probably will not accommodate all that data so will only show the road numbers when zoomed out.

Anyway, why not take note of the signposts with road numbers every kilometer. And of course, at intersections (road junctions in English).

• Confused 3

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

The screen on your phone probably will not accommodate all that data so will only show the road numbers when zoomed out.

Anyway, why not take note of the signposts with road numbers every kilometer. And of course, at intersections (road junctions in English).

i don't think this helps when trying to look at gps prior to being there. so finding some of that info before being in the area would be a huge help when you actually got there after following the gps. 

2 minutes ago, stoner said:

i don't think this helps when trying to look at gps prior to being there. so finding some of that info before being in the area would be a huge help when you actually got there after following the gps. 

I DO NOT need to look at Google Maps. A nice lady tells me exactly which way to turn. And there is an indication at the top of the screen telling the future turns.

You can then zoom in or ask more when you get to your destination. Or download the information in advance.

Love Google Maps.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, JayClay said:

The OP is talking about using Google Maps on his phone. There was no mention of him using it for live navigation.

Please explain why the OP asked about Road Numbers, I take it while he is driving, is not classed as 'live navigation'.

• Confused 3

7 minutes ago, stoner said:

i see you have missed the point 2 times now. 

alright. 

Not alright. Please explain where I have missed the points.

PM if you want to.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, stoner said:

i already did. read back up to my comment. ????

You use G Maps as you want to, I am happy with the way mine functions and the way I use it.

Edited by KannikaP

19 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Please explain why the OP asked about Road Numbers, I take it while he is driving, is not classed as 'live navigation'.

No for planning. Not driving. Driving i just listen or watch the road.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, stoner said:

Yes im planning the most scenic trip. On blogs they talk about the best back roads so i need to see the numbers to work it out.

Similar problem with Google Earth and road numbers in Thailand.
Especially the smaller rural roads with 4 numbers XXXX, they can be very long and only have the road name mentioned every 5 km.

Zooming out and in, I usually find the actual road number. If not, then I go streetview and look at the road markers.

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Do the planning on a laptop or desktop computer, a phone screen is too small.

....or pen and paper after consulting google map etc.

Left turn this soi, right turn this road.

Surprising how quickly that method sticks in my tired brain.????????

• Love It 1

40 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

It appears that you don't seem to understand the difference between simply using a map and navigating.

The OP asked about road numbers because, presumably, that's what's annyoing him.

Try it for yourself. Open Google Maps. Enter a landmark. The map zooms to the landmark and sometimes the road numbers/names are displayed, as well as the names of other buildings landmarks in the area. This can be extremely useful for knowing what area the pin is in. Unfortunately when you pinch to zoom, the names of these places appear and disappear as Google decides it knows best what you need to see.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, bignok said:

It worked on tablet. Thanks. 

Once you input destination and get directions, make sure you download the map as advised, in case you are in a krap signal area.   You'll still see 'you' on the map, but lose verbal instructions and up coming arrows to turn.  GPS will still track you, usually.

And yes, good to know the road #s, and with any luck, they'll be signed and still be the same #.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, JayClay said:

It appears that you don't seem to understand the difference between simply using a map and navigating.

The OP asked about road numbers because, presumably, that's what's annyoing him.

Try it for yourself. Open Google Maps. Enter a landmark. The map zooms to the landmark and sometimes the road numbers/names are displayed, as well as the names of other buildings landmarks in the area. This can be extremely useful for knowing what area the pin is in. Unfortunately when you pinch to zoom, the names of these places appear and disappear as Google decides it knows best what you need to see.

I understand completely how to use a map, be it GPS or the old paper type, and always navigate to where I want to be.

Most of the time Google (and other maps) simply show YOUR position on the road you are currently on and only tell you when you need to turn.

I have more important things to get me annoyed. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, stoner said:

seems like a lot of extra work. why not just use a good old map at that point. 

When was the last time you noticed a map on sale, for any given area, having any detail.

Even 1999/2000/2001 when I relied on them, there was limited supply, and they were not that informative.

Especially for Krung Thep, as you didn't know what roads were one way, or where all the U-turns were.

Gmaps make driving a pleasure, along with making you 'stupid', if not paying attention.

Sure there's plenty of folks, that if they lose their signal, they are truly lost and haven't clue where they are.

When Gmaps has an oops, again, especially Krung Thep, when you knew it said straight for another km, then all of the sudden its telling you to make 3 right turns .... yea, need to look ahead of yourself, and have a ballpark idea where the next turn is.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

When was the last time you noticed a map on sale, for any given area, having any detail.

Even 1999/2000/2001 when I relied on them, there was limited supply, and they were not that informative.

Especially for Krung Thep, as you didn't know what roads were one way, or where all the U-turns were.

Gmaps make driving a pleasure, along with making you 'stupid', if not paying attention.

Sure there's plenty of folks, that if they lose their signal, they are truly lost and haven't clue where they are.

When Gmaps has an oops, again, especially Krung Thep, when you knew it said straight for another kms, then all of the sudden its telling you to make 3 rights turns .... yea, need to look ahead of yourself, an have a ballpark idea where the next turn is.

i was being an a hole :)

i couldn't imagine bkk without gps....and i have done a lot of km.