My Landlord Stop Me from Leaving the Country

Title is a bit misleading, need to add 'Can'.

Yes & no, if he bothers to go the legal route, and just guessing, he could file claim and ask Imm to intercede.  Whether they would or not on a civil case is a bit unknown.

Be a bit much, unless trying to get a sum worth the hassle, for landlord & Imm to bother.

To claim damages more than 2 month rent seems quite high.  What did you break ????

Hopefully lesson learned, if ever returning.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Why would you break a lease with only one month remaining?

You saved one month's rent at the cost of two month's rent security deposit.

Maybe because he actually trashed the place?????

Anyway there is nothing in rental contracts 99 percent of the time that says the leaseholder can skip out on the last months rent in lieu of sacrificing the deposit. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sparky Barry said:

He was gonna take 2 months security deposit anyway. When I moved in I saw all sorts of other damages. I got bad vibes from the guy straight away. Was cutting my losses.

Don’t worry. He’s just trying it on. Tell him you took pictures of all the damage that was there when you moved in, in case he tried something like that. Everything with the date. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Sparky Barry said:

He was gonna take 2 months security deposit anyway. When I moved in I saw all sorts of other damages. I got bad vibes from the guy straight away. Was cutting my losses.

It seems that 'legally' he can only ask for 1 month bond.

This came up when I rented a property to a company and stipulated 2 months bond money.

Evidently their lawyer said the law was changed from 2 to 1 month.

Not sure it is correct as I didn't investigate.

5 minutes ago, carlyai said:

This came up when I rented a property to a company and stipulated 2 months bond money.

Irrelevant to the OP's topic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, carlyai said:

People wo rent out less than 5 units are not bound by that law.

If the guy wants to play hard ball, he can sue him for the month rent he didn't pay as he didn't give notice, reached an agreement but just left. Wonder what he did to the (card) key. On top of that the damages found which exceed the 2 months deposit.

OP states he saw damages but didn't report it to the guy so it could be fixed while still there. Feel like there is some missing parts in his story.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, BangkokAlan said:

It is a civil case your word against his. It is not a criminal matter so how can he stop you leaving the country and immigration only worry about immigration policy not landlord disputes. Just move on with your life to a better condo. Go through a proper agent so they have all the photos and take your own. 

Causing damage is a criminal matter.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Whether they would or not on a civil case is a bit unknown.

I had a civil case that I filed (I was the complainant). I was not allowed to leave the country until it was adjudicated. Cost me 20K baht overstay fine waiting for a letter from the court saying the case was closed.

I was rejected from leaving (to return on a fresh visa) both at a land border and at Suvarnabhumi.

Edited by Peabody
  • Confused 6

I doubt immigration has much interest.

Interested though in what happens. Not hijacking this but maybe some crossover.

Seeing a situation where a person cannot pay the rent and no money coming soon so they leave in the first week of the month not paying that months rent.

The apartment though has a clause with daily cost for late payments after the 4th of the month. Those daily costs in effect double the months rent if you are a month late.

Given they have left without notice so apartment wants them to pay current month and next month with extra daily costs for both as they cannot pay, that's like 4 months rent they feel they are due.

Here its two month deposit despite the legal change to one month so accepted that they lose that.

The person leaving feels its okay and they accept they lose out but the apartment see breach in contract and want more.

Is their any civil case there for the apartment? The relevance to the posters two month bond could also be a factor as original contract may be in breach of current law, could that make it void?

• Thumbs Up 1

It is about civil law, won't be a issue with immigration. Just ignore him and move on, civil court is gonna cost him more than the 10-30K he wants from you. 

Must be a really crazy scene like those Chinese messing up apartments if it does happen. Or abuse of power, something you can spin against them in these days.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thumbs Up 2

Simple answer: He can!

A long year known compatriot was renting one of my mates apartments and messed it completely up..

(including a "catus garden" in the bathroom on the white tiled floor) 

He was actually always a nice fellow but something made him turning into a hermit.

Thai neighbors informed my mate, that he made an escape in the night, attempting to skip 2 month rent and the renovation costs.

They got him at the airport the same day... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If there is major damage that anyone would have noticed at the time of moving in, and your landlord is determined to make an issue out of it, then yes. It is possible for him to initiate legal action and impede your departure. Only a mentally disturbed landlord would do this over minor issues that would not be noticeable when you first viewed the property. It is unlikely that you will have a problem, but we do not have the full facts.

4 hours ago, Sparky Barry said:

You don't know "he was gonna take it anyway."  That's what bad people say when they're trying to justify lying, cheating, or stealing.

When you moved in you took photos and immediately notified the landlord, right?

Right?

Methinks 'twas the landlord getting bad vibes.

When do we hear the rest of the story?

• Like 2