Is adultery legal?

Lorry

12 minutes ago, NedR69 said:

Why is it guys get pissed at some other dude for enjoying what the mans' wife served to them.  Maybe look at the wife, and ask yourself do you want to stay with a cheat.  Help her pack, and drop the 'C' off at the dude's place.  

Some Thai men get very jealous and angry and resort to extreme retaliation, Thai ladies too.

1. No

2. Yes

If you have married a prostitute like a lot of foreigners do, then no. They dont count.

if a married person engages in sexual activity with a prostitute or pays for such services, it may not under the civil and commercial code of Thailand be considered adultery

Furtheremore

Definition of Adultery in Thailand

It is important to take note that all parties involved in the act of adultery can be liable for adultery and may be sued under the civil and commercial code.
Adultery in Thailand is defined as sexual intercourse between a person who is married and another person who is not their spouse.

If a married woman plays up with a single male that is considered adultery.

If a married man plays up with an unmarried women then this is not considered adultery.

If a married man plays up with a married women then it is considered as adultery.

https://isaanlawyers.com/adultery-in-thailand/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Gaccha said:

"all parties involved in the act of adultery can be liable for adultery and may be sued under the civil and commercial code.

Adultery in Thailand is defined as sexual intercourse between a person who is married and another person who is not their spouse." [Source

This is a very interesting article.  It goes on saying

a plaintiff can apply to the court and seek compensation by suing the other parties involved, That is, both parties involved."

I found another article that pretty much sums up what I thought about this subject ( civil servants and soldiers getting problems because of adultery, estranged wives suing for six-figure sums)

https://mikeinvestigation.com/adultery-in-thailand/

But I never had any clear knowledge. The article from isaanlawyers clarifies things and has some interesting aspects I didn't know (paid sex is not adultery). Thx to @Gaccha and @Goat

10 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I wonder how paying sinsod affects this?

If the husband had paid substantial sinsod for the wife and the wife, then commits adultery with another guy causing the marriage to fail, would the husband have a claim against the other guy?

No. Sinsod is part of traditional marriage, not legal marriage. The state doesn't recognize traditional marriages, only the paperwork at the amphoe.

• Confused 2

8 hours ago, Goat said:

1. No

2. Yes

If you have married a prostitute like a lot of foreigners do, then no. They dont count.

if a married person engages in sexual activity with a prostitute or pays for such services, it may not under the civil and commercial code of Thailand be considered adultery

Furtheremore

It is important to take note that all parties involved in the act of adultery can be liable for adultery and may be sued under the civil and commercial code.
Adultery in Thailand is defined as sexual intercourse between a person who is married and another person who is not their spouse.

If a married man plays up with an unmarried women then this is not considered adultery.

If a married man plays up with a married women then it is considered as adultery.

You seem to have problems with basic understanding, it states paid sex does not come under adultery , the past occupation of the spouse is immaterial.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2023 at 2:51 AM, Lorry said:

1. In Thailand,  is adultery a criminal offence?

2. If someone has an affair with a married woman,  can her husband sue him? Sue him for damages, or sue him to get him punished?

I know he can get a knife and kill him, this is not my question. 

My questions are the legal aspects. 

If I remember correctly yes its illegal in the context that you can go to court and request a divorce with sufficient proof. I dont believe you can have the offending party arrested (its a civil offence not criminal) or put in jail but can sue for damages. If won the I believe that compensation is set by the court. Adultery does not include use of prostitute services though?????

On 8/2/2023 at 4:03 PM, Kwasaki said:
On 8/2/2023 at 1:51 PM, Lorry said:

I know he can get a knife and kill him, this is not my question. 

My questions are the legal aspects. 

Well he can legally hold a gun licence and gun so wouldn't bother with a knife.

"Well he can legally hold a gun licence and gun...".

Not if he's a foreigner, he can't.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 8/3/2023 at 4:24 AM, Puccini said:

I think we have to draw a picture to understand what this topic is about.

OP, please correct me if I am gerting this wrong, but I believe you are talking about a married couple, whom I shall call Anthony and Barbara, and a third person, male, whom I shall call David and who has an affair with Barbara.

Now, about the suggestion of ChayaTH that "he could not sue you for adultery but he could sue you for defamation", the only possibility of defamation I can see is that if Anthony accuses David publicly of adultery with Barbara, David can sue Anthony for defamation.

Actually, if David is married, to a woman whom I shall call Elisa, there is a second possibility. If Elisa accuses Barbara of adultry with David, Barbara can sue Elisa for defamation.

What the 'uck?

Is adultery legal?

How many Blokes leave their wife at home and land at Bkk to jump into 35 year younger wife? Lots.

Of course it is legal/illegal, if you want it to be legal/illegal.

Anything can be achieved if you believe in it.????????

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2023 at 2:18 PM, Goat said:

1. No

2. Yes

Furtheremore

Wow. Obsessed with prostitutes still. Sad.????????

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2023 at 7:26 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Garbage.  It's frequently part of both!

Well, what I mean is that it's not a requirement for legal marriage, but it is for traditional marriage. Certainly people who marry both ways (a subset of all Thais) use sin sod. I suppose there may be people who marry only according to the legal form who might use sin sod. I just don't know any.

I would be more concerned with the rash reaction of the third party.

That is if one is say dating a married woman, how would the husband/boyfriend react,  if he get's to know assume after his long evening of Lao Khao on the (yaba) rocks ?