Opinion Editorial: No, It Isn’t Time to Worry About RETIREMENT VISA Changes….Yet

webfact

There is no need to Change the law.

Corruption in the Immigration and too soft control of the requirements are the Problems,...best Example:800K control by annual Account Statement!!! 

Edited by LudwigK
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Forget increasing financial limits that won't help at all, do a criminal record check instead

That's good for those who didn't get caught or had a good lawyer 

8 minutes ago, Scottie12 said:

Big Joke is the guy who put the kybosh on pension confirmation letters from your Consulate, he doesn't give a damn about pensioners,decent or otherwise.

AFAIK, only 3 Embassies/Consulates (US, AUS & UK) decided to withdraw the letters, as far as UK was concerned the reasoning was that it did not have the resources nor the ability to certify the truthfulness of the submitted pensions information, and therefore could no longer certify the correctness of the information on the Confirmation of Income letters.

I know/knew a few individuals who were providing false information to their embassy in order to get their letters.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I don't think he is capable of understanding what distress his actions caused. I am sure he wouldn't care if he did, but I don't think he can.

B. S. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, mokwit said:

All kinds of new visa classes have been offered (by TE BoI MOFA), all but the Elite have onerous requirements such as criminal record checks. The OX aimed at high GDP per capita country applicants requires you to take the time and money to have a blood test to show you don't have Elephantiasis, leprosy and TB. these are very rare in these countries and you are far more likely to catch them here.

FYI, the Elite people do the criminal check as part of the approval process. That is a key reason that it can take months to approve. They could treat O's the same if you want to wait.

If you want to eliminate deadbeats, limit O applications to one a year.

Eliminating the use of agents is going to be a bigger problem. It is a system that was not created by the applicants.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

If you want to eliminate deadbeats, limit O applications to one a year.

Don't get where you are coming from from this - if you mean extension of Non O it is for one year, if you mean 3 month non O I don't get what you mean unless you mean anyone on a Multi O can't afford the 400k - but don't they have to show proof of that to get multi O?

• Like 2

Just now, mokwit said:

Don't get where you are coming from from this - if you mean extension of Non O it is for one year, if you mean 3 month non O I don't get what you mean unless you mean anyone on a Multi O can't afford the 400k - but don't they have to show proof of that to get multi O?

The people that make visa runs 4 times a year to get a new 90 day O and never put up the money.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

FYI, the Elite people do the criminal check as part of the approval process. That is a key reason that it can take months to approve. They could treat O's the same if you want to wait.

What kind of check and with who is this? I seem to remember it is for Thailand/Interpol notices not for criminal record from your home country? I don't think they get the non criminal record confirmation from an applicants country.

It will be up to us to get hard copy of this, not for the IB to get it.

Thailand can't stop Burmese, Lao and Cambodian nationals getting across the border, how are they going to stop seasoned criminals with substantial funds at their disposal from entering the country??

I bet a load of these coming up with bright ideas on this board to stop criminality are the first ones to whinge and bleat like sheep when they get pulled over by immigration for ' too many entries ' in a year!  

They want Thai law to be strong when it's something they don't like but to be weak when they are coming in without being in possession of the correct visas.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

They do not have access to the databases of the EU or the UK to run these type of checks. How can you allow a corrupt, rotten to the core institution such as the RTP, always out for their own ends access to very sensitive private and privileged information?

It's not about them having access, retiree can get the report, similar to work visa requirements 

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It appears the reason why he was demoted as chief of immigration, was his constant grand standing, and xenophobic statements about foreigners. Quite bizarre coming from the immigration chief. Now? Nobody really understands how he not only resurfaced, but became national chief of police. 

Yes he might be influential. But, he is also a big talker. And I don't think anyone should be worried about his sometimes over zealous statements. I certainly won't. 

Fight crime, yes. Fight expats no. We do bring in alot of stable income.  Even the rural folks benefit. Alot of the nicer houses in the poorer farming areas were built with money from expats. Alot of trucks, cars and income is from expats. Countless business employing many. Thousands of hotels, restaurants, countless airlines and many tour companies, also benefit. By comparison, an average ex-pat spends how much per month? I would say alot of us spend 50,000 to upwards of 100,000 baht a month. I know I do. No value in that? I know some live on less. However, since the average income is around 25,000 baht, that is significant. Especially now. 

Exactly what I said in a different thread a few days ago!

All of the above!

• Like 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

It's not about them having access, retiree can get the report, similar to work visa requirements 

It takes quite a while in the UK to get the said document and what do you want people already here on Non 0 visas for many years already to do?

Fly back to the UK to get one of these documents once a year?

2 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

The people that make visa runs 4 times a year to get a new 90 day O and never put up the money.

So that makes them deadbeats? Everyone below your financial level is a "deadbeat"? Take care that they don't up things to the level where you are a "deadbeat", despite your vast wealth. I assume you have no problem with Bt3m in a Thai bank, coz my guess is that is what is coming - or the monthly income requirements/$500k/$250k investment of the LTR visas.

I could, but don't want to put $250k or even Bt3m in a Thai bank and some don't want to put Bt400k in a Thai bank.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

It takes quite a while in the UK to get the said document and what do you want people already here on Non 0 visas for many years already to do?

Fly back to the UK to get one of these documents once a year?

Only problems from you, can do it online, we don't need to solve all the details here

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I think you are right, but the bone of contention was the Thai authorities rewording how they wanted these letters presented which amounted to Embassies basically guaranteeing everything on  behalf of their citizens, which they could not in honesty, as you said 'They didn't and don't have the resources '  and that became the stumbling block.

Yes it was this, the Embassy would effectively be the entity responsible for the veracity of statement under Thai law. Somehow, countries other than US, AUS & UK were prepared/able to do that for their citizens.

• Like 2