Which countries have visas dedicated to retired expats?

I hear the grass isn't always greener elsewhere.

Go Bag at the ready ... nah

Rin rin rin ... run run run

"People moving out, people moving in, why  because of their expat status, run run run, but you still can't hide" - The Temptations ... remastered ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 9

I find the page interesting but it only list income requirements without the lump sum option. I have not yet started taking my pension but easily meet the 800K requirement for Thailand. I would be interested in knowing other countries with similar options.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I use the O-A and like it. I have reasons for keeping the money in my home country and I need insurance anyway so no problem buying that.

Of course, things could change if the insurance premiums went way up, but that could happen anywhere.

I found the list useful. I’m not interested in “retiring anywhere”. I want a legal visa that works.

My understanding of the O-A is that you can not extend it from within Thailand without bringing the money into Thailand. Do you return to your home country every 2 years and apply for a new O-A or does your home country provide proof of income statements?

8 minutes ago, biervoormij said:

I find the page interesting but it only list income requirements without the lump sum option. I have not yet started taking my pension but easily meet the 800K requirement for Thailand. I would be interested in knowing other countries with similar options.

It depends on which country you have the passport, what is indicated is for Americans. If you are European or English everything changes according to the country of your origin.

10 minutes ago, biervoormij said:

My understanding of the O-A is that you can not extend it from within Thailand without bringing the money into Thailand. Do you return to your home country every 2 years and apply for a new O-A or does your home country provide proof of income statements?

The guy you are quoting would be returning to own country every year or two if exit just prior to visa expiry and obtain a 12 month stamp. 

Does not suit many.

If you do not return to home country you can obtain 12 month extension at immigration that has financial requirements along with insurance.

Edited by DrJack54

19 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Most people there now are grand fathered into the old system where it was much lower.

I wouldn't want to be there for any length of time more than two weeks in Malaysia, I feel I would get a bit bored.

I have been a number of times but not recently.

Edited by Scouse123

I agree with another poster whereby a lot of these lists are compiled by firms that have something to gain by people pursuing these options through these firms.

I think you would find ways and means in most of these countries to stay once you were actually in that particular country you were interested in relocating to.

You would then learn the pitfalls and advantages first hand that you won't get from an online free sheet or flyer.

16 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I think you would find ways and means in most of these countries to stay once you were actually in that particular country you were interested in relocating to.

Agree. 

Thinking the OP is asking about countries were you can live ongoing.

One example is Vietnam.

AFAIK Vietnam does not have a "retirement visa" aka in Thailand non O retirement with annual extensions.

Long time ago I stayed in Vietnam with back to back 3 month multiple.

So meant 4 visas per year with exit and reentry every 3 months.

Thailand does not have easy options for those under 50 or married to Thai. 

Edited by DrJack54

20 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I hear the grass isn't always greener elsewhere.

Go Bag at the ready ... nah

Rin rin rin ... run run run

"People moving out, people moving in, why  because of their expat status, run run run, but you still can't hide" - The Temptations ... remastered ????

Exactly right on the nail-head...... Happiness comes from our own within..... rest is just bull-<deleted>..

55 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Thanks, but with respect I see no mention of Cambodia which also issues dedicated Retirement (ER) visas for those 55 years or older.  Simple and hassle free to apply for one at any appointed travel agent. No dealings with Immigration itself. Start with an Ordinary (E) Visa at border entry (not to be confused with the Tourist online e-Visa). This is valid for 30 days and costs 30$. Then you can apply for a Retirement Visa for 6 or 12 months. I have a 12 month ER visa which cost me 290$. Multiple Entries for its duration are also included. No financial requirements/evidence required. No Cambodian bank account required. Registration on the FPCS (Foreigners Present in Cambodia System), valid passport and 2 recent pp photos required. Holders of ER visas are not allowed to work.

Please note: Tourist (T) and online e- Visas (mainly for tourists to avoid queues at border crossings) CANNOT be extended as Retirement Visas.

Thank you Bill for your information to add another very interesting piece of information.

• Thanks 1

The link with countries with visa dedicated to retire expat is wrong. I read Italy have low (xa-xa-xa) crime rates etc.What word do you live?You are not serious.

Furthermore Greek gives visa for retires after ....7 years but in other hand illegal immigrants take Greek nationality after ....one year.......

14 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

<SNIP>

Please note: Tourist (T) and online e- Visas (mainly for tourists to avoid queues at border crossings) CANNOT be extended as Retirement Visas.

Regarding the extendable E visa (not to be confused with e-Visa), when I go to the official Cambodian government website, I can apply for Visa T $36 (tourist only) or Visa E $42.  

Is your post meant to imply that the Visa E above cannot be extended as a "retirement visa" because you apply for it online?

https://www.evisa.gov.kh/application_new

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2023 at 12:20 PM, BritManToo said:

Not all that useful as you can retire in many Asian countries without a special retirement VISA.

Take for example the expensive Philippines SRRV, why bother when you can just fly in at any age and stay for 3 years.

Thailand, they only talk about the restrictive O-A VISA, and I've never encountered anyone that uses that.

I would suggest expatriateconsultants only discuss VISAs where they can make money from selling/assisting you and are not to be trusted for real advice.

I was dating a Filipina (in SG) for 8 years (Went 1/2s on a house a couple of hours north of Davao City) so when it came to retirement obviously considered moving there & around about that time (just prior to Covid) there was talk that they were going to put an end to the seamless 3 years on Visa Exempt entry & make people leave after 6 months (Philippines isn't the easiest country to do a Border Hop from). 

No idea if this will come back on the table but the SRRV has to be amongst the cheapest Retirement Visas out there & if you go down the Marriage route, you get an automatic 1 year on arrival & just have to show "Proof of Finances" (I can't find specific amounts) if you go down the 13A route. 

Food sucks so I chose Thailand though the women are much hotter (especially in the Visayas) so it's clear where my priorities lay! 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Food sucks so I chose Thailand though the women are much hotter (especially in the Visayas) so it's clear where my priorities lay! 

I rarely eat local food outside the UK.

Plenty of German/Brit/Aussie/Mexican restaurants in PI.

In Thailand I regularly eat at German and Indian restaurants.

Edited by BritManToo

40 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I rarely eat local food outside the UK.

Plenty of German/Brit/Aussie/Mexican restaurants in PI.

In Thailand I regularly eat at German and Indian restaurants.

I mainly eat at home & so was referring to the quality of the food that was available in the supermarkets there.  Even in Davao City at the SMs/ Robinson it was pretty poor.

I love Korean & Japanese food and have had some of the best I’ve ever tried in Cebu.

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1