Tell me what you like about Pattaya gyms

georgegeorgia

On my recent visit I checked out several Pattaya gyms ,

3 were for sale.

Whilst I have no business experience in Pattaya I was very much thinking of leaving my job in Australia and buying a Pattaya gym 

Unfortunately one guy didn't have financial books , all his machine were very old I would have to spend money on more and he wouldn't budge on his asking price, but I would have to install a shower as he had none 

,another was very desperate to sell and  rang me when I got back to Australia to say I can have 100k off his 3 million asking price and can move in tommrrw if I want,

I thought great until I saw his high monthly rent plus .. yes key money and knew no way he was making any money .

Unfortunately there seems to be no direct debit in Thailand.

So my question to you is in Pattaya what do you look for in a gym?

It appears Air con is number 1 going by my questions to some gym goers ,is that important?

What about machines? What machine do you want there?

Many gyms are crowded at 5pm and machines are taken up,is multiple machines important?

What about lockers ?

How important is shower facilities?

What about towel hire?

I notices in my Pattaya gym travels some didn't even bother to enforce the towel policy of Western gyms where you must have a towel !

Is 24 hour important to you?

Personal trainers? 

But he honest is pricing important?

I know jomtien gyms are charging from 1400 to 1800 baht per month 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

A gym here in Pattaya would really have to sell me a whole program. For instance, a one year program with a partner(not an expensive personal trainer). It wouldn't even be hard to do; here's your plan, here's your partner, here's your step by step workout plan. We will track your progress and you will too.

When the customer walks in the door he's not just handed a towel and told "good luck, work hard"

Then, a few months after the grand opening start putting pictures of the guys before/after showing their hard earned results. After that there will be ZERO problems attracting new customers. 

I

Edited by Furioso
  • Love It 1

Quite a few gyms around Pattaya start up and a few years later close down, due to lack of support I suppose, bit worrying if you plan on a 1 year membership and it closes after 6 months whatever.

Decided to get some gym equipment at home, all under cover outside, then I can come and go when I please.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

On my recent visit I checked out several Pattaya gyms ,

3 were for sale.

Whilst I have no business experience in Pattaya I was very much thinking of leaving my job in Australia and buying a Pattaya gym 

Unfortunately one guy didn't have financial books , all his machine were very old I would have to spend money on more and he wouldn't budge on his asking price, but I would have to install a shower as he had none 

,another was very desperate to sell and  rang me when I got back to Australia to say I can have 100k off his 3 million asking price and can move in tommrrw if I want,

I thought great until I saw his high monthly rent plus .. yes key money and knew no way he was making any money .

Unfortunately there seems to be no direct debit in Thailand.

So my question to you is in Pattaya what do you look for in a gym?

It appears Air con is number 1 going by my questions to some gym goers ,is that important?

What about machines? What machine do you want there?

Many gyms are crowded at 5pm and machines are taken up,is multiple machines important?

What about lockers ?

How important is shower facilities?

What about towel hire?

I notices in my Pattaya gym travels some didn't even bother to enforce the towel policy of Western gyms where you must have a towel !

Is 24 hour important to you?

Personal trainers? 

But he honest is pricing important?

I know jomtien gyms are charging from 1400 to 1800 baht per month 

2.9m baht for a near worthless asset. Why no books? Cause they lose money.

The business is worth what the gear is worth. Old gear is worth 50,000 to 100,000 baht.

I bought a treadmill for $2500 for home. Sold it for $40, 10 years later.

I suggest you buy a condo or gold or shares. Not old crappy gym equipment.

Most gym goes want a range of bars, dumbells, benchs, lat pull down.

At a 100 baht entrance fee you only break even.

The only gyms that make money are the trendy franchise ones that sign people up for 12 months. Middle class idiots join and waste money.

I like the Nirun rental idea better.

If a tenant could not pay rent you could ask them to satisfy the debt in other ways. One could deliver food and do shopping, another laundry, another unspeakable favors. It would be like a little kingdom calling on favors and collecting what’s due you, whereby you would maintain a ledger of dates and amounts owed and thereby do regular rounds of the property.

In fact, thats what a “landlord” originally was. Lord of the land and the people on it. He got first dibs on everything the renter had or owned. It was not limited to money. You can imagine what he required being a lord of the manor and some of the goings on. Anyone living on the land was also subject, not just the renter. So wives, visitors, what have you also became the playthings of the master.

What would you require, sir?

• Haha 1

On a recent visit to the UIK (Blackpool), I was pleasantly surprised by the local gym (just down the road from Sainsbury if you know the city).

Access into the foyer was free of course but then there were a pair of electronic revolving doors.  To enter/exit the gym area you had to punch in your access PIN which was automatically disabled if your payment had not been received for that month.  You could sign up in the foyer by mobile phone or using their touchscreen system.

Access to the changing rooms also required the PIN code.  Lockers were free (bring your own padlock) and there was always 1 staff on duty (only 1 was required because of the automatic system).

Plenty of machines, saw no roid nuts, mostly 'normal' people of all ages. I paid about 15 UK pounds per month for access to all equipment.

On 8/6/2023 at 11:33 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Unfortunately there seems to be no direct debit in Thailand

Do you mean for gym membership? Direct debit does exist for water, electric bills etc.

Edited by jimn

Reliable Staff is the hardest part when you start your business, and then your customers. Who is your customers, and what are they willing to pay for the standard and equipment you offer? 

2500,- pr month is a decent gym price +, and 150,- + for drop in with towel. Year membership 18 000,- +

It is a tough marked.

Next location and rent? Many businesses owners have been turned over by the landlords, so that is another issue that can complicate things as well having big enough buffer to reinvest in equipment. When a treadmill brakes down, you need reliable service or replace it as quick as possible. Well Maintained equipped, and proper clean gyms attracts people, as well wifi and entertainment, sports channels, music. 

Offer girls special campaign deals. 

The locker/shower rooms must be delicate, clean toilets, and massage close by and of course safe parking, all depending where the location is. 

Marketing budget and active on social media. 

10 sessions card for short time visitors. 

Would have thought a survey carried out  on who would use the gym

Tourists  mainly interested in beach bars and girls night life 

Expats mainly  retired getting on a bit not to worried about keeping in Shape 

Where's the Market aimed at 

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Andycoops said:

My gym is the great outdoors, indoor gyms are full of drugs and bacteria.

I never got the indoor gym thing either. Hated it. I need fresh air. I guess people like it though or they would not be there. It’s probably more about being around others. Just like anything is, like movies, cafeterias, whatever.

It’s usually people that are competitive and comparing themselves to others, or social people that don’t like being alone, etc. It’s a different kind of people then outdoor enthusiasts.

3 hours ago, shackleton said:

Would have thought a survey carried out  on who would use the gym

Tourists  mainly interested in beach bars and girls night life 

Expats mainly  retired getting on a bit not to worried about keeping in Shape 

Where's the Market aimed at 

Well that all depends on where the gym is in Pattaya and you make a great point about exactly who the customers will be .

• 2 weeks later...

You are asking the Wrong questions.

What ROI minimum do you require?

Location - Who are my potential customers?  What is there income?  Will you buy the building or rent?

Are my potential customers tourist, short visit, long stay, residents in area.

Due Diligence on financials.  If they do not have books you now get bigger discount, the business value is substantially less.

How old is the equipment, are parts available, expensive.  How long do you have to wait for machine to be repaired.  How many machines will you need to repair/replace/upgrade in the next two years.

How long until you make a profit/break even.

• Thanks 1