Complaints procedure - immigration question

12 hours ago, matta said:

if one deviates or sets requirements that go against the general guideline or laws, can the person concerned file a complaint

This forum is the right place. 

Post you worried, trials an tribulations and we will listen politely. 

Maybe. :tongue:

• Haha 2

To be clear, I myself have no problem, but this does not mean that I would not have knowledge of the existing difficulties. Additionally to find out where I can go, should I ever have problems myself (which I do not hope for of course)

As noted by some, which I agree with, that the necessary documents are not in order when for example, a residence permit is granted or the financial requirements are not met. However, there are also other situations.

A few examples: One comes back after a trip abroad on a Thursday and it turns out it's a long weekend. Normally it says somewhere that one has to register with immigration inside the 24 hours However, now the office will not open until days later. These people were fined and according to many, unjustified.

To give another example, a bank has an offer and since one must have a certain amount in the bank, someone places a certain sum in a savings account with the intention of getting as much % interest if he leaves the money x amount of time.

When his residence permit is extended, the man goes with all his documents, including a document from the bank saying that this person has this amount of money in his savings account.

At immigration, the officer did not agree because there was no movement on the bank book.

Of course there can be no movement because if he withdraws money, he breaks his contract and depositing money did not go according to the bank's contact either.

In both cases you are stuck and as already mentioned by many you have nowhere to go.

I find it very astonishing that so far not a single person has noticed or even questioned where I can go in such case, and the answers show that you can't go anywhere in case of problems for the simple reason that it doesn't exist. And some have suggested one would have the guts, even if one is completely in right, one still depends on and I quote Pol Maj Gen S. Hakparn corrupt officials. So far the paradise Thailand

English is not my native language so I apologize for the grammar

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

One can complain tom the head of immigration, at immigration headquarters. In that case a formal investigation will take place and you will be heard (get visited by immigration to tell your story). Immigration officals are scared and can be in trouble if one folows this route.

Regarding denied applications for an extension you can appeal the decision and a higher officer will than have a look. Ultimately you can go to the court and immigration will have to defend its decision and give reasons why they do not follow the rules or ask for extra docmentation.

Often it is simpler to just call the immigration hotline if you think immigration don't follow the correct procedure. Often they will than contact the local immigration office and try to sort things out.

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, matta said:

To give another example, a bank has an offer and since one must have a certain amount in the bank, someone places a certain sum in a savings account with the intention of getting as much % interest if he leaves the money x amount of time.

When his residence permit is extended, the man goes with all his documents, including a document from the bank saying that this person has this amount of money in his savings account.

At immigration, the officer did not agree because there was no movement on the bank book.

Of course there can be no movement because if he withdraws money, he breaks his contract and depositing money did not go according to the bank's contact either.

That is why the money must be in an instant access account, the officer was totally correct in denying the extension

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

@matta You do NOT understand How Things Works Here, nor Thai culture and society.

Don't compare with how things works in your country of birth.

Don't attempt to use non-asian logic.

Better you go with the flow and accept what you have been told.

Ask any expats who lived here 20-40 years.

We learn quickly to bite our tonque and shut up.

Bring a thai person with you to Immigration for help, or, use a agent.

Complain is the last thing you should do, seldom leads anywhere.

If you plan to live here in Thailand many years, read about society, culture, class, money, power. Learn from Thai people. Then accept that we as foreigners, are on the bottom.

We should behave accordingly, to make life easier for ourself.

To help you understand: imagine a foreigner tourist or expat in your country, complain about immigration and rules in your country. Would you accept it??

If you use search in visa sub forum here, you will find same topic as yours, only a few months ago.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, matta said:

I find it very astonishing that so far not a single person has noticed or even questioned where I can go in such case, and the answers show that you can't go anywhere in case of problems for the simple reason that it doesn't exist. And some have suggested one would have the guts, even if one is completely in right, one still depends on and I quote Pol Maj Gen S. Hakparn corrupt officials. So far the paradise Thailand

There are countries where the "rule of law" exists, and then there are countries like Thailand. It really is that simple. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

That is why the money must be in an instant access account, the officer was totally correct in denying the extension

Errrm, does it actually specify "instant access account", I keep my money for extension in a timed deposit account but haven't had any problems with immigration.

@ Bigt3116 where have you read that ( if possible, please provide the link) the money deposit most stand on a instant acces account

all the information I have found is ' the money must stand on a thai  bank account. There was never talk about a fixed or instant account

I read

5.2  In the case of having money in the bank account (Fix/ Saving Deposit) of any bank located in Thailand

– Letter from the bank certified the account in the bank of not less than 400,000 baht

– Copy of bank book showing money in the account of not less than 400,000 baht which has been deposit and already held of such amount for the past 2 months until the date of application submissio

@Shop Mak  we not have immigration offices ( we have many refugees but thats another subject ) 

You are right after 15 years I still understand the Thai logic. I know this is on me and after more than 40 years working for the justice system, it disturbs me

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Errrm, does it actually specify "instant access account", I keep my money for extension in a timed deposit account but haven't had any problems with immigration.

You have to be able to access the money instantly, even if that means losing interest, so I am guessing that is what your account allows

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, matta said:

@ Bigt3116 where have you read that ( if possible, please provide the link) the money deposit most stand on a instant acces account

all the information I have found is ' the money must stand on a thai  bank account. There was never talk about a fixed or instant account

I read

5.2  In the case of having money in the bank account (Fix/ Saving Deposit) of any bank located in Thailand

– Letter from the bank certified the account in the bank of not less than 400,000 baht

– Copy of bank book showing money in the account of not less than 400,000 baht which has been deposit and already held of such amount for the past 2 months until the date of application submissio

@Shop Mak  we not have immigration offices ( we have many refugees but thats another subject ) 

You are right after 15 years I still understand the Thai logic. I know this is on me and after more than 40 years working for the justice system, it disturbs me

It will be because of the "to cover expenses for one year" that defines the need for instant access.

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?p=14714

• Like 1

Nine years ago I was refused an extension non imi O based upon retirement because the proof of earnings letter from the British Embassy was 'not correct' - I asked what this meant and and was told nothing more than the same statement when wanting to understand what this meant. I asked the immigration officer to speak with British Embassy and they refused. I visited British Embassy and asked them to talk or write to immigration and they refused. I sent a letter to the head of immigration, at immigration headquarters Bangkok asking for investigation to understand what was 'not correct'. I received the same letter I had sent in the same envelope with a covering sticker to my address. The envelope had been opened and sellotape was used  to close the envelope. There was nothing else sent, but on the back there was written in hand and in English, 'return'.

• Sad 1