EV and parkings

10 hours ago, Confuscious said:

I don't have an EV, but I would like to know if they are sold with a portable electric generator on diesel or do you need to buy it yourself,?

A Polestar was driven across the Nullarbor in Australia to prove it could. Publicity stunt. It was recharged by a truck carrying a diesel generator. Environmentally sustainable, because the generator was fuelled by recycled oil from the fish and chip shops in Perth.

• Haha 1

To get this back to EVs and Parking.

EV Battery chemistry is changing.

The 2 biggest EV manufactures are BYD who use 100% lithium iron phosphate batteries (LFP)  and Tesla whose best selling models by far are the standard range model 3 & Y also use LFP. Ford has now moved to LFP. The excellent new MG 4 here in Thailand has LFP batteries.

I have 36kWh of LFP batteries in my house  - not in a shed at the bottom of the garden.

20220724_000830219_iOS.thumb.jpeg.37128c08867922ddfcaa666efec5a89a.jpeg

So what is so special about LFP Batteries? Watch the video to find out.

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2023 at 4:53 PM, JBChiangRai said:

We have a very weak grid connection, I can't charge more than 2Kw at night, so I choose to charge it during the day at 5.3Kw

I commute every 2-3 weeks to Chiang <ai where my daughters go to University, we have a 7.2Kw charging point there but it's not solar.

I have only ever charged on one trip at any other public or private CS, obviously that is not solar either.

90% of my charging is from my solar system during the day here in Chiang Rai.

I didn't buy EV's or Solar for the greenness they may have, it's purely economic for solar and mostly pleasure for EV, I love the way they drive.

Thanks for being honest.
others here on AN claiming righteousness for having EV and solar,

do not take other stuff into account and they like to conveniently forget they are still dependant on those dirty fossil fuels
even if they did install a 3KW on grid solar setup

for myself, i dont use my car enough to care about performance,
my Pajero is pratical and does what i need, not old had since new hardly used and well cared for
i have been in Teslas are they nice? yes like many cars are,
are they jaw dropping to make me want an EV? no
i would never consider buying an EC simply due to battery life, and expense replacing and i dont think any EV's here have the space i want
although i have considered buying an electric scooter maybe but right now we dont have much need for one,
and i recently switched to riding my mountain bike around my farm so even my motorbikes are sat idle
i am totally Off grid with 15KW PV and 60KW storage
but i will eventually be replacing the lithium with NiFe

• Like 2

15 hours ago, patman30 said:

others here on AN claiming righteousness for having EV and solar,

do not take other stuff into account and they like to conveniently forget they are still dependant on those dirty fossil fuels
even if they did install a 3KW on grid solar setup

There is quite an active Solar group on AN and I haven’t seen anybody installing as little as 3kW. I moderate a Thailand solar group on FB and again never seen 3kW. The minimum is 5kW and even then most people install 6kW of PV with a 5kW inverter.

You accuse EV owners of “claiming righteousness” but I have never heard diesel drivers like yourself acknowledge the harm that they causing by their own emissions. Thailand has a real problem with poor air quality.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/10/2023 at 6:45 AM, Bandersnatch said:

Before anybody bothers to post it - there is a video doing the rounds posted by a China hating channel claiming that BYD EVs in China are catching fire all the time. He fails to identify the cars as PHEV (they have a gasoline engine) or full EV.

Watch this linked video first.

https://youtu.be/B9Zu8NMOz2A

The video below is a lot more informative and goes beyond the subject of EV fires. The exploding vehicle on charge early on in the video is quite spectacular. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

The video below is a lot more informative and goes beyond the subject of EV fires. The exploding vehicle on charge early on in the video is quite spectacular. 

Just another China hating channel, all their videos are anti China. 

You said it was more information- where did it discuss different battery chemistry in EVs and the difference between PHEVs and BEVs. You know NEVs and BEVs are not the same right?

1 minute ago, Bandersnatch said:

Just another China hating channel, all their videos are anti China. 

You said it was more information- where did it discuss different battery chemistry in EVs and the difference between PHEVs and BEVs. You know NEVs and BEVs are not the same right?

Pleased you enjoyed the video. 

On 8/9/2023 at 6:04 AM, motdaeng said:

anywhere near battery change date ... that is a good one ...

since when has an ev car a battery change date? can you tell us more please?

you seems to know a lot about ev's ...

The battery replacement can be any time, some do fail, just need one AA size battery to go and sizzle.........It's not all plain sailing as some purport here....????

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yep, why I don't bother with them.  Same silly 'what if', or flat out 'false info', or dated.   Most having nothing to do with current production and or TH.

TH, where most of the EV owners on the forum reside.  All the BS been debunked numerous times, but that record keeps on spinning and spewing the same BS.  Over and over and over.   Same questions & thoughts posted 1 year ago, repeated again & again.

Same with the Anti CH BS, for the past 3 years almost.  All from people with NO experience of what they are going on about.

Really, a bloke who can't fix an MGB, now come on..........????

The fact remains, you just dismiss questions and points because of your Chinese electric purchase.....

No experience, so tell me, if you turn on your MG and nothing happens, what do you do, I mean, with all your experience, what do you do.........?   ????

21 minutes ago, transam said:

Really, a bloke who can't fix an MGB, now come on..........????

The fact remains, you just dismiss questions and points because of your Chinese electric purchase.....

No experience, so tell me, if you turn on your MG and nothing happens, what do you do, I mean, with all your experience, what do you do.........?   ????

I've never  owned or wanted to own a MGB, as USA versions were crap, so why would I attempt to fix one.  I have towed them before, after they broke down ????  I even have a photo somewhere and next time in the photo box, may dig it out and post.

Brother being a fan of ragtops, but you knew that.  Again, something you already knew, that record...around and around again.

As you say, since no experience with EVs, I'd simply call MG's free roadside assistance that came with the car.   Actually needed it (almost) with the ICE version, as wife was toying with the app, and apparently left something on, and drained the battery overnight (?).  Neighbors weren't home, so called the free roadside assistance, and they came out straight away & jumped it.

You know I'm mechanically inclined, as I've stated before, that I've swapped out motors, trans, rears, and there isn't much I can't fix, or used to, on an ICEV, days past, before buying more dependable JP vehicles.

Proof again, of your repeating silliness.

Not a fan  of rebuilding carbs (damn little parts) or replacing U-joints/drive shafts, as frustrating as all hell if needing to be shimmed.  Anything else, just too easy.  But luckily, haven't need to do any of that, the past 35+ years, as buy vehicles that last longer, without the need to.  I can't remember the last time I changed the oil, pre-1999.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

I've never  owned or wanted to own a MGB, as USA versions were crap, so why would I attempt to fix one.  I have towed them before, after they broke down ????  I even have a photo somewhere and next time in the photo box, may dig it out and post.

Again, something you already know, that record...around and around again.

As you say, since no experience with EVs, I'd simply call MG's free roadside assistance that came with the car.   Actually needed it (almost) with the ICE version, as wife was toying with the app, and apparently left something one, and drained the battery overnight (?).  Neighbors weren't home, so called the free roadside assistance, and they came out straight away & jumped it.

You know I'm mechanically inclined, as I've stated before, that I've swapped out motors, trans, rears, and there isn't much I can't fix, or used to, on an ICEV, days past, before buying more dependable JP vehicles.

Proof again, of your repeating silliness.

Not a fan  of rebuilding carbs (damn little parts) or replacing U-joints/drive shafts, as frustrating as all hell if needing to be shimmed.  Anything else, just too easy.  But luckily, haven't need to do any of that, the past 35+ years, as buy vehicles that last longer, without the need to.  I can't remember the last time I changed the oil, pre-1999.

You and your family had MGB, between you could not fix it, you told us so, you said MG's were cr@p....

So you actually know nothing about EV's, its a phone job, and you accuse those who put questions forward, know things because you know all about them.......????.......................:coffee1:

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, transam said:

You and your family had MGB, between you could not fix it, you told us so, you said MG's were cr@p....

So you actually know nothing about EV's, its a phone job, and you accuse those who put questions forward, know things because you know all about them.......????.......................:coffee1:

Both brothers had no problem fixing their cars, when needed,  sadly too often.

Yes, I know all about them, as I usually research things before I plop down shy of a million baht to buy something.

Does that mean I would attempt to fix an electric motor or the energy source to it when I have no experience or tools to do so, NO, only an idiot would do that.

Got a battery warranty for 8 years, I don't think I'll ever need to touch, as I'll probably, be long gone before something goes wrong with that car, as electric motors, they basically run forever, or will outlive the rest of the cars parts, as will the battery.

YMMV

You may want to pop into your GP I think you're getting senile,

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Both brothers had no problem fixing their cars, when needed,  sadly too often.

Yes, I know all about them, as I usually research things before I plot down shy of a million baht to buy something.

Does that mean I would attempt to fix an electric motor or the energy source to it when I have no experience or tools to do so, NO, only an idiot would do that.

Got a battery warranty for 8 years, I don't think I'll ever need to touch, as I'll probably, be long gone before something goes wrong with that car, as electric motors, they basically run forever, or will outlive the rest of the cars parts, as will the battery.

YMMV

You may want to pop into your GP I think you're getting senile,

Aaaah, the ol' senile ploy, thanks for that, clears things up....????

• Sad 1