Political uncertainty forces tourism industry to cut arrival estimates by 2 million

webfact

That is a shame. TAT and TCT have done a wonderful job luring 100's of millions of tourists to Thailand.

I hope this prediction doesnt come true.

I would not have thought so many people would care.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

Good  move from Pheu Thai ... the first negative results are already here.... Go ahead Pheu Thai do everything to bring Thaksin home and try to take the power, unless what it will take, Voters will not accept your betrayal

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The current hiatus in forming a new government has zero affect on tourism.

The earlier prediction from TAT was way off the mark.

Apart from the fact the article refers to the Tourist Council of Thailand and not TAT,  TAT's forecast for this year was between the range of 24 million to 30 million which it will be, so no they won't be way off the mark.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, swm59nj said:

I don’t think this type of political uncertainty is going to sway tourists not to visit. 

Perhaps not Europeans or USA guys who don't take instability as seriously or let it deter them. But Chinese seem to be impacted by it....

• Like 1

Cutting a purely fictional number pulled from your behind and blame something else? Sure, why not. Interesting stats for July in Phuket. Which speaks more to a reliance, as always on Chinese tourism, which has not materialised to the numbers they dream of.

Why ? Because chat on social media in China is that tourism isn't safe in Thailand because of the incidents of kidnapping and human trafficking, and sure there is a noise about policital instability. But more than that - Thailand isn't the only country which is trying to attract tourists and that competition is fierce. Japan is seeing a massive upsurge, for example. What's left for Thailand is skewed to the bottom end of tourist spending and that's impacted by the economic downturn.

image.png.ab24771e7a613c693300abb9b1686862.png

• Like 2

I just hope that airfares will go down a bit for the Winter months.  Hopefully the USSR will quit their 

illegal invasion of Ukraine by this Winter as well. I never call that Place Russia, as I still believe that 

it is a Union of Republics, unfortunately the Leaders are all following Putin, so I hope they are all

considered war criminals when this war is over. I know the Generals will be.

Hopefully the weather from November to April will be nice and sunny, and not too hot.

Thankfully all the places I stay at have AC.

• Confused 1

Had a big, hearty laugh over their first reason for the tourist shortfall--TAT hadn't gotten its money yet.  Right, guys.  Nice try.   I will buy political uncertainty having some effect--in 2014, the year of the coup, international tourism dropped a bit, but I don't think by anywhere near 2 million.

tourists :   hey dear '   that trip to Thailand may have to be cancelled  !

wife   :   why's that honey' what's wrong?

tourists :   there's no new government sworn in yet so it's politically uncertain     !!

wife  :    oh yes honey '     we better cancel then     !

haha .....    what <deleted>     !!    

so 2 million acted like the above .....      haha

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2023 at 2:25 PM, Don Chance said:

30 day visa is too short for jetlag from America or Canada. Extending is too much of hassle in the middle of trip too.

It should not be a big deal with the new improved Pattaya immigration building, How about getting a tourist visa before travel? I have herd the online process is a bit onerous.