Office Worker Raises Concerns Over Unofficial Fine Collection for Cigarette Butt Littering

webfact

4 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

I was once stopped by a policeman for littering. He tapped me on the shoulder as I was going up the stairs of the Ploenchit Center, pointed to a cigarette on the ground, and said to me in broken English that I had dropped it - obviously expecting me to pay a fine. I told him in Thai that I don't smoke, after which he just smiled sheepishly and walked away - to look for another victim.

Another time, I struck up a conversation with a foreign woman negotiating with these "catchers of farang litterers". She asked me what she should do. I told her to just run away! They're not going to shoot her, and given that they're just looking for easy money, they're not even likely to chase her. They'll just sit around and wait for the next farang.

And while I agree that littering is wrong, these "officials" actually make it a point to remove all trash bins from the area where they are trying to entrap foreigners. If they really cared about littering, they would just put out trash bins. So, as with most things in Thailand, this is about the money.

Well said mate.

They are nothing but a bunch of crooks. What a racket.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, bob smith said:

They will soon give up harassing you once you have firmly stood your ground and proven that you are not a mug.

Smoking's a mug's game.

Edited by BusyB

3 hours ago, bob smith said:

I see these BMA goons on the streets daily, eyeballing tourists.

The official line is that even if you do drop a fag butt on the floor you don't have to pay.

At least not right away to the official that grabs you/is asking for an inflated amount. Demand to be taken to the nearest police station immediately and start making a call to your embassy. Don't forget to video the entire encounter and take the BMA officials name and shoulder number.

If they start throwing silly numbers at you like 10,000 baht etc call your lawyer as well.

They will soon give up harassing you once you have firmly stood your ground and proven that you are not a mug.

Don't bother calling the british embassy they are not here to help you

• Thanks 1

Personally I think throwing a ciggie end away on the floor should carry an immediate 500 baht fine and they should invest in undercover ciggie end police unit - it would make its money back in 24 hours.  Smokers are probably the worst polluters on the planet due to their constant littering

• Sad 2

Trash bins with cigarette sand snuffers on top are not expensive and would reduce the amount of trash on the street, but I don’t think that most Thais care as they throw their food bags out everywhere as soon as they finish eating. Pollution is not well understood here or even a second thought for many. 

• Like 2

I think anyone who throws cig butts on the ground should be rewarded with 500 baht per cig butt by police....

For setting a good exame for others..

Smoking is good and good for you...And if anyone sees a cig butt on the ground this might encourage them to smoke too, so a reward is in order...

The world needs more smokers..

Edited by redwood1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, bob smith said:

Not sure one needs to go through all your recommended palaver. They simply look for easy marks and mostly would move on if you stand up to them, ie go looking for easier targets. I guess it is intimidation.....I would ask to be taken to the police station.....

Oh and stop smoking you litterbugs.

15 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Personally I think throwing a ciggie end away on the floor should carry an immediate 500 baht fine and they should invest in undercover ciggie end police unit - it would make its money back in 24 hours.  Smokers are probably the worst polluters on the planet due to their constant littering

They pollute the outside air all over Pattaya. Im on defensive breathing all over this area. Should be a notice on Trip Advisor for nonsmokers. Again this is for outdoors. More power to these officials for taking charge. And they really should up their game an fine "these cigarette smokers" smoking in illigal areas like these lowlifes (by construction) smoking at entrances to public buildings. 

• Haha 1