Welcome to Malaysia -- wear a Swatch watch go to jail

Jingthing

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Stupid alphabet soup?

So you post on a gay forum to insult gay culture. 

Disgusting. 

I don't think that people should temper their opinion based on the neighbours amongst whom they find themselves, unless they choose to avoid arguments - their choice. 

I don't think that the Malaysian government has banned rainbows, nor rainbow-coloured jerseys such as the UCI champions wear, only the specifically wearing of such to promote LGBT+etc tolerance.

We may all be entitled to our own opinions, and we may wish that we can express them wherever we wish, but apparently there are restrictions in Malaysia, and, you apparently propose, also in LGBTQ+etc fora.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

It is not about the gay people, it is about you thinking to be special and have a say on Malaysia their decision as a country, that is woke.

No. We don't think we are special. Do you think it's 'special' to be jailed or persucuted for who you love? 

4 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

It's pretty clear that any beliefs he likes are "right", while any beliefs he dislikes are "wrong".

Bangkok Ready why do you post on every singke LGBQ thread with the same rubbish? Why do gay topics trigger you so much? 

3 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Not my cup of tea.

I just don't get the attraction.

What? 

3 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

Sex belongs in the bedroom, though not necessarily the closet. Why not leave it there and get on with your life?  Sexuality is a small part of who we are. Build an identity based on something other than sexual orientation and you won't be incessantly inflamed and offended. 

My God man, there's so much more to life. 

Because gay people can go to prison or be attacked or have no rights just for being themselves. It's not about the sex.  Someone could accuse you of being feminine or eyeing up a fit guy and then you are beaten up.

2 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

The majority of the world's straight population maybe don't want to get your rhetoric and propaganda rammed down their throats all the time.

Why don't you and the rest of your LBGXYZ etc crowd get on with your lives without lecturing and telling us, the majority, that we must support your minority set!

Because how can we 'get on with our lives' if we get put in prison, if we can't be with the person we fall in love with or marry them, and if we get attacked or persicuted because of who we are? 

51 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There are lots of pictures which people don't have on their clothes because it would be illegal, or it would annoy other people.

I.e. anybody visits temples in Thailand (and probably churches in other countries) they should wear decent clothes. Is that problem? No. Just do it or don't enter the building or country or whatever.

It is really not necessary that everyone shows some statements about their believes everywhere. 

You think being gay is a 'belief'? 

You think a rainbow coloured wrist band on a watch is a offensive symbol? 

And people like you call others woke lol. 

Edited by jak2002003
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

I don't think that people should temper their opinion based on the neighbours amongst whom they find themselves, unless they choose to avoid arguments - their choice. 

I don't think that the Malaysian government has banned rainbows, nor rainbow-coloured jerseys such as the UCI champions wear, only the specifically wearing of such to promote LGBT+etc tolerance.

We may all be entitled to our own opinions, and we may wish that we can express them wherever we wish, but apparently there are restrictions in Malaysia, and, you apparently propose, also in LGBTQ+etc fora.

I don't propose.

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think you "confuse" two issues.

One is that some people are gay, or lesbians, etc. Ok, fine. They can be what they are. I "know" enough gays and they live their life like heterosexuals live their lives and all is fine.

And then there are those radicals who think it is necessary to go to extremes to make sure everybody know that they are different. They are not just gay, they are extreme. Many of those pride performers are in that category. And when they behave extreme and anybody mentions that this is maybe a little bit too much, then those radicals get even louder.

If you are gay and want to go to i.e. Malaysia, then just go. I am sure you will be able to walk on the street and don't get arrested. But don't behave like an extremist! It doesn't help you or anybody else.

Who needs this s&%$?

800px-SM_Gay_Slaves-e1570609400563-800x4

Who needs homophobia and anti LGBTQ laws?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Let the people in each country decides which laws they want to have.

And anybody who visits other countries should avoid being offensive - whatever that might be in the location which you visit. 

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And anybody who visits other countries should avoid being offensive - whatever that might be in the location which you visit. 

You didn't read the article, right?

Homosexuality is a crime punishable by fines and prison terms of up to 20 years in Malaysia, a Muslim majority country that has seen a rise in conservative attitudes in recent years.

"Offensive" defined in Malaysia as existing.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The people of Malaysia did not decide this or many of the other anti-gay laws.   The anti-gay laws in Malaysia are the result of a combination of factors, including the country's Islamic heritage, British colonial rule, and conservative social values.

The Syariah Penal Code (SPC), which criminalizes homosexuality, was introduced in 1985 by the then-Prime Minister, Mahathir Mohamad. The SPC is based on Islamic law, and it is enforced in the states of Malaysia that have a Muslim majority.

The Penal Code, which is applicable to all Malaysians, also criminalizes "carnal knowledge against the order of nature", which is interpreted to include homosexuality.

In addition to these laws, there are a number of other factors that contribute to the discrimination against LGBT people in Malaysia. These include social stigma, religious pressure, and the lack of legal protection for LGBT people.

The SPC is a specific set of laws that are based on Sharia. It was introduced in Malaysia in 1985 and it is enforced in the states of Malaysia that have a Muslim majority. The SPC criminalizes a number of activities, including homosexuality, apostasy, and adultery.

The SPC is not universally accepted by Muslims. Some Muslims believe that it is too harsh and that it does not reflect the true teachings of Islam. 

It is important to note that there is a growing movement in Malaysia to challenge the anti-gay laws. In recent years, there have been a number of protests and demonstrations against these laws. There is also a growing number of LGBT organizations working to promote equality and acceptance for LGBT people in Malaysia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well, I think the pride movement has gotten a bit out of hand in some places.

Wasn't there a state recently that passed a law making it so that minors couldn't attend LGBTQ events (due to the level of nudity and adult behavior)?

(Interesting, they called off the event because minors couldn't attend, rather than going ahead with it, adults only)

I have nothing against gay people, but I totally support this kind of conservative law.

(And obviously I would support it if it were against straight people too, jeez)

I mean, I wouldn't want my kid walking into a strip club or BDSM/fetish club for straight people (or gay people)

And unfortunately some LGBTQ events are like that.

You could - and probably would - call that homophobic, but I don't think that's fair to say.

So, why would Malaysia want to ban the rainbow movement? Maybe because they don't want these issues - that I described above - in their country.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Quidio said:

The people of Malaysia did not decide this or many of the other anti-gay laws.   The anti-gay laws in Malaysia are the result of a combination of factors, including the country's Islamic heritage, British colonial rule, and conservative social values.

The Syariah Penal Code (SPC), which criminalizes homosexuality, was introduced in 1985 by the then-Prime Minister, Mahathir Mohamad. The SPC is based on Islamic law, and it is enforced in the states of Malaysia that have a Muslim majority.

The Penal Code, which is applicable to all Malaysians, also criminalizes "carnal knowledge against the order of nature", which is interpreted to include homosexuality.

In addition to these laws, there are a number of other factors that contribute to the discrimination against LGBT people in Malaysia. These include social stigma, religious pressure, and the lack of legal protection for LGBT people.

The SPC is a specific set of laws that are based on Sharia. It was introduced in Malaysia in 1985 and it is enforced in the states of Malaysia that have a Muslim majority. The SPC criminalizes a number of activities, including homosexuality, apostasy, and adultery.

The SPC is not universally accepted by Muslims. Some Muslims believe that it is too harsh and that it does not reflect the true teachings of Islam. 

It is important to note that there is a growing movement in Malaysia to challenge the anti-gay laws. In recent years, there have been a number of protests and demonstrations against these laws. There is also a growing number of LGBT organizations working to promote equality and acceptance for LGBT people in Malaysia.

Malays don't see the irony. Lots of Malay women look like dudes.

Lots of Malays go to Thailand too more freedom.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Is your spelling of "will" correct?  It seems a little bit short in this context! ????

Thanks for improving upon my joke. I really should have thought of that myself. What a missed opportunity. Ha.

Edited by BangkokHank

9 hours ago, jak2002003 said:
13 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

It's pretty clear that any beliefs he likes are "right", while any beliefs he dislikes are "wrong".

Bangkok Ready why do you post on every singke LGBQ thread with the same rubbish? Why do gay topics trigger you so much? 

I'm pretty sure I replied to this, directly rebutting these accusations (and not breaking any rules).  The comment appears to have been removed, which speaks volumes.  Not sure what it speaks volumes about though, as I would never comment on anything that we are not allowed to comment on.  ????

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's really ignorant if you think sexual orientation is only about sex.

Another one that doesn't get it.

Oh, I get it just fine, it's my gay acquaintances who struggle to understand the "breeders".   

I used to sit on the bus with a gay guy from work on our way to our respective homes. He was a personable, likeable fellow; as flamboyant as any gay man I've ever known.  He used to take pictures of strapping young men sitting near us on the bus and text them to his "husband ".  He used the word "husband" a dozen times in each conversation, as though it would add credence to the claim.  As a divorced man I cheered him on, over the cliff 555

Once he told me about a new resident  (also gay) who moved in across the hall in their apartment block. Well, it wasn't a week before the man was invited over for a weekend of three way  buggery.  It made no difference to me, which is why such things were imparted in far greater detail than most straight people could endure.  We remained on friendly terms until he changed work locations, after which he would still come round to say hello.  

Why did this matter?  Because heterosexual married people don't behave in that manner, especially if they've got kids.  Sure, you've got the blue haired, tatted up, pierced in ungodly places crowd who engage in "open"  "marriages", but you can't build a functioning society on those foundations. 

My older sister was a #ag hag, as her gay friends used to call her back in the 70s/80s when I was growing up.  They were pretty decent men, save the one who delighted in drugging and raping sailors (my sister kept him away from me when I entered puberty).  Back then being gay was dangerous, as there were brutal gay bashings almost every weekend.  One of her friends, Rick,  had his jaw broken and spent time in the hospital with other serious injuries, just because he was gay.  It was horrible. Thankfully that kind of crap has come to an end.  

There you go.  The glib response was met with a novella.  

5 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

Oh, I get it just fine, it's my gay acquaintances who struggle to understand the "breeders".   

I used to sit on the bus with a gay guy from work on our way to our respective homes. He was a personable, likeable fellow; as flamboyant as any gay man I've ever known.  He used to take pictures of strapping young men sitting near us on the bus and text them to his "husband ".  He used the word "husband" a dozen times in each conversation, as though it would add credence to the claim.  As a divorced man I cheered him on, over the cliff 555

Once he told me about a new resident  (also gay) who moved in across the hall in their apartment block. Well, it wasn't a week before the man was invited over for a weekend of three way  buggery.  It made no difference to me, which is why such things were imparted in far greater detail than most straight people could endure.  We remained on friendly terms until he changed work locations, after which he would still come round to say hello.  

Why did this matter?  Because heterosexual married people don't behave in that manner, especially if they've got kids.  Sure, you've got the blue haired, tatted up, pierced in ungodly places crowd who engage in "open"  "marriages", but you can't build a functioning society on those foundations. 

My older sister was a #ag hag, as her gay friends used to call her back in the 70s/80s when I was growing up.  They were pretty decent men, save the one who delighted in drugging and raping sailors (my sister kept him away from me when I entered puberty).  Back then being gay was dangerous, as there were brutal gay bashings almost every weekend.  One of her friends, Rick,  had his jaw broken and spent time in the hospital with other serious injuries, just because he was gay.  It was horrible. Thankfully that kind of crap has come to an end.  

There you go.  The glib response was met with a novella.  

Come to an end.

You're hilarious.

Been to Brazil?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/threats-lgbtqia-community-intensifying-department-homeland-security/story?id=99338137

3 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

Thankfully that kind of crap has come to an end.  

Sadly it hasn't. An acquaintance of mine was attacked outside a Manchester club by youths shouting homophobic slurs. Fortunately his boyfriend is pretty handy in a fight. Another acquaintance had his front teeth smashed. I'm told that many are afraid to go to clubs now as incidents are increasing. 

1 hour ago, Baht Simpson said:

Sadly it hasn't. An acquaintance of mine was attacked outside a Manchester club by youths shouting homophobic slurs. Fortunately his boyfriend is pretty handy in a fight. Another acquaintance had his front teeth smashed. I'm told that many are afraid to go to clubs now as incidents are increasing. 

It's truly bizarre that anyone with a pulse would actually think violence against LGBTQ people has come to an end. How does such ignorance even develop? Are there anti gay propaganda sources promoting that BIG LIE?  In the US thanks to American fascists led by DeSantis the violence has particularly escalated against transgender people. But these dangerous demagogues hate all LGBTQ people and wish to erase them, no doubt. They label them as "groomers" which is hateful blood libel style rhetoric I have never seen in my life and I'm not young. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 8/11/2023 at 2:26 PM, Stocky said:
On 8/11/2023 at 2:23 PM, Jingthing said:

So you're making excuses for extremist laws. Charming.

No, you're just expecting other countries to bend to your will. 

…. Or perhaps he’s simply expecting countries to respect human rights that are also universally accepted in the civilized & developed world. 

40 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

…. Or perhaps he’s simply expecting countries to respect human rights that are also universally accepted in the civilized & developed world. 

I'm expecting nothing. 

I know many countries have evil laws.

Yes the government of Malaysia should be condemned in this case but of course it is an internal affair.

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm expecting nothing. 

I know many countries have evil laws.

Yes the government of Malaysia should be condemned in this case but of course it is an internal affair.

I disagree… equality is an international affair and we all play our individual part in supporting equality in all shapes & forms while at the same time ignoring a lot of the ridiculous stuff. 

That anyone could be charged with wearing a rainbow strap etc is preposterous beyond belief 

4 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I don’t like the gun laws in the USA, but I’m not going to try and change them, despite the risk they pose to my friends there. 

But in the free world you can still voice your opinion against guns with printed media, spoken word, slogans on clothing & symbols etc…

… this is a removal of a freedoms of speech (or freedoms to wear an inoffensive symbol expressing the human rights of LBGQT people)…   It’s just a watch… banning it is silly, it’s not a nazi symbol !!! 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

But in the free world you can still voice your opinion against guns with printed media, spoken word, slogans on clothing & symbols etc…

… this is a removal of a freedoms of speech (or freedoms to wear an inoffensive symbol expressing the human rights of LBGQT people)…   It’s just a watch… banning it is silly, it’s not a nazi symbol !!! 

I don’t see how a Nazi symbol would be different. Symbols are symbols.   You should perhaps try to understand how much people try to use the law to persecute their opponents, rather than interpreting everything too literally.  You may also need to dig a little bit deeper beyond what CNN report.   If I was going to fight Malaysia’s intolerant laws, this is not where I would start, and I would try to avoid getting my friends’ festival terminated.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I disagree… equality is an international affair and we all play our individual part in supporting equality in all shapes & forms while at the same time ignoring a lot of the ridiculous stuff. 

That anyone could be charged with wearing a rainbow strap etc is preposterous beyond belief 

I'm not seeing how we disagree actually.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Apparently not, and Nazi symbols are a fine example.  As is denying the holocausts. Free expression is not longer free in the west.

Or even using the wrong pronouns or certain words, not yet illegal, but also not allowed.  Not catering your services to certain groups you don't agree with seems to be illegal in some place.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Let's start with respecting the decision of the Malaysian electorate who elected its government, and have less of the sneering western views about what's "civilized & developed".

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

Let's start with respecting the decision of the Malaysian electorate who elected its government, and have less of the sneering western views about what's "civilized & developed".

No respect all for any country's government that has laws  that explicitly persecutes any minority group. Why respect something that should be universally condemned?

Homosexuality which is illegal in Malaysia is not western or eastern.

• Like 2