DIY Material.

Kevin1908

I am planning a diy job and was looking on the Do Home site but couldn't find plywood sheets. I don't have any transport to go and check but I assume you can get 12mm thick plywood, or similar. In the UK standard sizes are 1220x2440, 607x1829, 606x1220. That should equate to 8x4, 2x6 and 2x4. Can anybody tell me what is available size and thickness wise?

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I'm 99% sure it's 2.4 x 1.2 m or thereabouts in a myriad of thicknesses and qualities ranging from "marine" to "shuttering".

You really need to go and look at what they have and pick something suitable.

Any idea if they provide a cutting service as they do in the uk or is it just as it comes? I am very early stages of planning at the moment. Just don't have in transport to check things out right now.

17 minutes ago, Kevin1908 said:

I looked for a diy forum without success.

Moderator :) 

Maybe the DIY building forum should be just the DIY forum?

Been taxing my brain since I asked about Rivnuts for a bicycle and thought that the DIY building forum has many more engineering people than the bicycle forum. 

So just 1 DIY forum?

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Kevin1908 said:

Any idea if they provide a cutting service as they do in the uk or is it just as it comes? I am very early stages of planning at the moment. Just don't have in transport to check things out right now.

@Crossy is correct that the size is 2440 X 1440 and available in thickness from 3 mm usually up to 19 mm (marked as 20 mm) they do not have boards in smaller sizes and definitely do not have any cutting service. They may well have rubber wood panels in narrower widths and a verity of thickness, though they will be grade B or C.

The availability of specific thicknesses and grades is not consistent as they wait until a pack is finished before ordering more.

If you were to let us know where you are located and the rough details of the project we can probably give more specific advice 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevin1908 said:

"If you were to let us know where you are located and the rough details of the project we can probably give more specific advice" This a very long way off, just thinking. It would be for a model railway.

That still isn’t giving your location. If it’s going to be inside or outside is also relevant, as there are some boards that have a very high formaldehyde content that are OK if they are not going to be used in an enclosed space. They are likely to cause respiratory problems used without good airflow, they would almost certainly be banned in the U.K. 

15 minutes ago, Kevin1908 said:

The location will be Surat Thani. It will be indoors 00/H0 scale.

So now all the DIY "experts" know I wonder how that will help you. Plywood will be in 8 x4 sheets. You could use MDF but it will suffer more if it gets wet,

Are you building the tables your self?

Edited by VocalNeal

16 hours ago, carlyai said:

Moderator ????

Maybe the DIY building forum should be just the DIY forum?

Been taxing my brain since I asked about Rivnuts for a bicycle and thought that the DIY building forum has many more engineering people than the bicycle forum. 

So just 1 DIY forum?

We listen to our members ???? 

Sometimes :whistling:

image.png.8888ad261dff96529799ef8570d6288e.png

Same place, just a different name.

On 8/11/2023 at 5:39 PM, Kevin1908 said:

The location will be Surat Thani. It will be indoors 00/H0 scale.

A friend of mine has built many Scalextric tracks. Whilst Scalextric is more robust similar problems need to be overcome. Scalextric is not pinned down like rail track.

If you have a basic support???? for the actual build surface he used Future board or as it may also be know the corrugated plastic sheet available at art shops and B2S. Can be had in thickness up to 8mm which is what he used.

spacer.png

He covered the plastic with green felt to make it more grass-like

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

A friend of mine has built many Scalextric tracks. Whilst Scalextric is more robust similar problems need to be overcome. Scalextric is not pinned down like rail track.

If you have a basic support???? for the actual build surface he used Future board or as it may also be know the corrugated plastic sheet available at art shops and B2S. Can be had in thickness up to 8mm which is what he used.

He covered the plastic with green felt to make it more grass-like

The good sheets of corrugated plastic that last are very expensive.
The corrugated plastic is thin. Cheaper ones can degrade quickly in my experience. 
Plastic can degrade fairly quickly here even when it is inside, things like bowls and buckets and even plastic cable connectors ⚠️do not need much exposure to light to degrade. 

Be careful how cheap the plastic is. MDF or equivalent may last longer.

10 hours ago, jojothai said:

The corrugated plastic is thin. Cheaper ones can degrade quickly in my experience. 

The friend in question with Scalextric had his Future board laid inside for more than 12 years with no adverse effects. 

• Thumbs Up 2