Judge Chuktan warns Trump against 'inflammatory' remarks before trial

Social Media

image.png

A federal judge has warned former US President Donald Trump against making "inflammatory" statements which could taint the jury pool ahead of his trial for conspiring to overturn the result of the 2020 election.

But Judge Tanya Chuktan ruled that Mr Trump can publicly share some of the non-sensitive evidence which prosecutors disclose to his legal team.

Friday's ruling was a blow to the special counsel who had expressed concern Mr Trump might reveal secret material and intimidate witnesses.

At a 90-minute hearing in Washington DC, the judge said the historic case was proceeding as normal.

"He is a criminal defendant. He is going to have restrictions like every single other defendant," she said.

"The fact that the defendant is engaged in a political campaign is not going to allow him any greater or lesser latitude than any defendant in a criminal case."

What Mr Trump can reveal publicly is one of several battles being fought between the former president's legal team and federal prosecutors.

What is a protective order?

Requests for protective orders are fairly routine in criminal cases. In many cases, defence teams are reluctant to oppose the orders because doing so would slow down "discovery" - the process in which prosecutors hand over evidence.

In this case, however, Mr Trump and his lawyers argued that his free speech was being stifled and argued that only sensitive information should be kept under wraps.

Judge Chutkan agreed. However, she said that his First Amendment rights was "not absolute" amid the ongoing case - and warned that she would not allow a "carnival atmosphere" at his eventual trial.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

What are you, his shrink?

No, far from it, just consider me a concerned forum member!  There's a lot of childish remarks and false comments (regurgitated left-media bias) on this topic.  Since you brought it up, I couldn't decided if your previous comments read like a totalitarian-dictator or just a nutter? 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Tug said:

I’m wondering how long before trump has another(episode) and gets in hot water it’s been over 24 hours allready!the pressure to mouth off must be terrific lol ???? 

You just KNOW his piggy little fingers must be twitching plenty to blast on that fake twitter!

To the above:

Conservative Case Emerges to Disqualify Trump for Role on Jan. 6
Published Aug. 10, 2023 Updated Aug. 11, 2023

But James Bopp Jr., who has represented House members whose candidacies were challenged under the provision, said the authors “have adopted a ridiculously broad view” of it, adding that the article’s analysis “is completely anti-historical.”

(Mr. Bopp’s clients have had mixed success in cases brought under the provision. A state judge, assuming that the Jan. 6 attacks were an insurrection and that participating in them barred candidates from office, ruled that Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene, Republican of Georgia, had not taken part in or encouraged the attacks after she took an oath to support the Constitution on Jan 3.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/10/us/trump-jan-6-insurrection-conservatives.html

https://archive.is/9NgbX

10 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Right now I don't think it matters much whether they're wrong or right, but that may change soon.

What matters right now is that support for Trump from his traditional backers may be dwindling.

Sure but as I have linked before, there are some hard core backers who see Trump as the vessel for their re-workings of the government:

Trump and Allies Forge Plans to Increase Presidential Power in 2025

The agenda being pursued has deep roots in the decades-long effort by conservative legal thinkers to undercut what has become known as the administrative state — agencies that enact regulations aimed at keeping the air and water clean and food, drugs and consumer products safe, but that cut into business profits.

“It would be chaotic,” said John F. Kelly, Mr. Trump’s second White House chief of staff. “It just simply would be chaotic, because he’d continually be trying to exceed his authority but the sycophants would go along with it. It would be a nonstop gunfight with the Congress and the courts.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/17/us/politics/trump-plans-2025.html

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene, Republican of Georgia, had not taken part in or encouraged the attacks after she took an oath to support the Constitution on Jan 3.)

When I read reference to MTG and the Jan 6th attacks I always think of her statements after the fact:

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene said at a Republican event in New York over the weekend that if she had organized the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol "we would have won" and "it would've been armed," according to video from her appearance that was posted on social media.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/marjorie-taylor-greene-jan-6-capitol-attack-wouldve/story?id=95065444

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Right now I don't think it matters much whether they're wrong or right, but that may change soon.

What matters right now is that support for Trump from his traditional backers may be dwindling.

Two judges from the Federalist society wrote that Trump is disqualified from holding office under the constitution. It is ultra significant that Federalist Society judges would speak out against Trump. He's toast

Trump Is Disqualified From Holding Office, Conservative Law Professors Argue

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-disqualified-holding-office-conservative-121920656.html

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Two judges from the Federalist society wrote that Trump is disqualified from holding office under the constitution. It is ultra significant that Federalist Society judges would speak out against Trump. He's toast

Trump Is Disqualified From Holding Office, Conservative Law Professors Argue

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-disqualified-holding-office-conservative-121920656.html

I would like nothing better than see Trump red-carded but the quote I put in above is from someone who had to try these charges in Court and he says: Not so fast.

Edited by jerrymahoney

2 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I would like nothing better than see Trump red-carded but the quote I put in above is from someone who had to try these charges in Court and he says: Not so fast.

My comment was in reponse to "his traditional backers may be dwindling".