What % of farangs in Thailand are worth talking to?

bignok

To be able to answer the question: "What % of farangs in Thailand are worth talking to?"

we need to know enough farangs. And/or we need to know accurate statistics.

How many farangs in Thailand do I "know"? I don't know, but maybe 100, probably more if I count people who I see sitting in restaurants, etc.

With how many of them did I communicate enough to be able to answer if they are worth talking to?

I don't even know 0.1% of farangs in Thailand. And almost all of the farangs who I know live in central Bangkok.

How should I, or anybody else in a similar situation, be able to answer above question with any accuracy?

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

My neighbour was an interesting foreigner, who became a good friend, was in the CIA, had the order of the white elephant for work on Laos border war, had a 'licensed to kill' card from Vietnamese leader. Was also First secretary at US embassy. Spoke 7 languages fluently, learned Russian in 6 weeks, couldn't speak a word of Thai despite living here for decades. I used to go to his apt 3 days a week to listen. Wrote a book, which could only be published after he died. 

Has he died yet ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LaosLover said:

We seldom see a non-Jap in our fave sushi, Umai Sushi, or at the American Diner-themed Rock Me Burger next door. J-people love a fake American Diner.

Not sure what you are on about but there rock me burger and sushi place nearby in Nimman is frequented by tons of other foreigners. In fact, i rarely seen any japanese around there, I used to be in that street almost daily for years and still pass by often.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Just now, LaosLover said:

Yes, people from many lands eat at Rock Me Burger, but I walked by it 15 minutes ago and it was def all J. 

Not sure what you're going on about either (you mean wot as a brit).

Maybe you can't even tell which asians are Japanese lol. And in terms of rent, multiple townhouses including one across the street there for rent, just under 30-40k a month, nobody seems to even want it.

What building across the street is 40K?  We're friends with our agent at Realty66. Stuff goes fast here.

Japanese people look pretty Japanese to me. And they dress alike in pastel shapeless dresses and straw hats. Nimman is full of shapeless dress and straw hat stores. The whole weekend White night market is for J's. Not to mention all the durian dessert places.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, brianburi said:

Weekly golf meet yesterday,  American, Aussie, Brits, Canadian(French), German, Swedes, about 20 bods in all.  No one had any difficulty talking to each other.....

What a stupid topic..........

Common interests is often a good start, but to be true if not play pool, go to the local bar or play golf, there is not many left if not climbing, diving, or do any activity where you share common ground. 

I ride motorbikes, and then you always meet up or meet someone around who share the same passien, but then again, you have what kind of motorbike you ride and your style to match, and often left with random solo riders who is not bringing any group mentality along. 

The sole foreigners I talk to are Japanese Thai music fans. I only have to look at all the vlogs and stuff uploaded by foreigners here to know I would cross the street to avoid almost all of them. 

Edited by proton
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, proton said:

The sole foreigners I talk to are Japanese Thai music fans. I only have to look at all the vlogs and stuff uploaded by foreigners here to know I would cross the street to avoid almost all of them. 

This topic is about farang not foreigners. Farang means whitey.

Also your "I'm the only one that understands Thai music" schtick is a bit old now. Time to grow up and get some perspective.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bignok said:

I'm thinking 5%. 

How many here at AN is worth communicating to? This is the place you meet and discuss asian related issues with, and how many of the members here do feel you get along with and would meet in real life? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Common interests is often a good start, but to be true if not play pool, go to the local bar or play golf, there is not many left if not climbing, diving, or do any activity where you share common ground. 

I ride motorbikes, and then you always meet up or meet someone around who share the same passien, but then again, you have what kind of motorbike you ride and your style to match, and often left with random solo riders who is not bringing any group mentality along. 

I usually end up riding alone anyway. ????

• Love It 1

34 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Maybe you can't even tell which asians are Japanese lol. And in terms of rent, multiple townhouses including one across the street there for rent, just under 30-40k a month, nobody seems to even want it.

I can

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

How many here at AN is worth communicating to? This is the place you meet and discuss asian related issues with, and how many of the members here do feel you get along with and would meet in real life? 

Maybe 6.

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I've met up to 6 on TV/AN over the years, pleasant people don't know what think me though except 2 who I see every 6 months.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Lemsta69 said:

One doesn't talk to the OP, one listens to his simplistic, nay childish pronouncements.

"Parmesan cheese smells like dirty socks"

"City bad, one horse town good"

"Farang bad, simple Thai farmer good*"

"Wagyu steak and red wine bad, 20 baht shlt on a stick good"

"You bad, me good (because I go to one horse town instead of Paattaya)"

etc, etc

* yet he spends a considerable amount of his time on here talking to farang instead of the enlightened Thai farmers ????

Why are you making up lame quotes?

• Love It 1