Buying motorbike for child

Cricky

8 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

derier 15 years been stopped numerous time in fact I welcome it originally I started with s 110, now regularly 150 PCX.

Yes Click starts at 125 just get a residential certificate to buy. 

Your recommendation of using a school is a sound one. That's how my wife learned in Udon Thani. It was a one stop shop from training through to the test, in house and the issue of the license at DLT. She has also turned out to be a very careful and sensible rider, I'd suggest you look into this idea @Cricky The school provides the bike so there's no need for you to buy one until the kid has his license and has had some professional training.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Your recommendation of using a school is a sound one. That's how my wife learned in Udon Thani. It was a one stop shop from training through to the test, in house and the issue of the license at DLT. She has also turned out to be a very careful and sensible rider, I'd suggest you look into this idea @Cricky The school provides the bike so there's no need for you to buy one until the kid has his license and has had some professional training.

I took him to the school not because I felt they could train him but so he wouldn't have to Q up for 2-3 months then take 2 days at the DLT,  written, video,  driving in a circle. 

Agreement was he was to be train by me first pretty much the same skill training I got from the Calif HWY Patrol,  I put together 45 questions from DMV California written test had them translated to Thai. I also gave him a road test passing grade was 75% , in which there were a number of major infraction that could fail him immediately. It took him two trays pointed out to him what Thais are doing wrong on the road to look out and navigate around. 

When he passed all my test only then would I send him to the school to expedite his obtaining the license he was there only three days as you noted they provide the bike. We took all the certify forms to DLT,  got a Q number we were out in a hour. 

He has since learn to drive started him off in a sidecarts.  Covid Delayed things now he is working trying to schedule time for the school one a week on his off days. 

Edited by thailand49
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

I took him to the school not because I felt they could train him but so he wouldn't have to Q up for 2-3 months then take 2 days at the DLT,  written, video,  driving in a circle. 

Agreement was he was to be train by me first pretty much the same skill training I got from the Calif HWY Patrol,  I put together 45 questions from DMV California written test had them translated to Thai. I also gave him a road test passing grade was 75% , in which there were a number of major infraction that could fail him immediately. It took him two trays pointed out to him what Thais are doing wrong on the road to look out and navigate around. 

When he passed all my test only then would I send him to the school to expedite his obtaining the license he was there only three days as you noted they provide the bike. We took all the certify forms to DLT,  got a Q number we were out in a hour. 

He has since learn to drive started him off in a sidecarts.  Covid Delayed things now he is working trying to schedule time for the school one a week on his off days. 

Well done. If only more kids got such attention from their parents.

9 hours ago, 2long said:

Sorry but if the OP wants to put a 15 year old child on any motorcycle here, then it's game over! Thai roads are too dangerous, especially for a child to drive a motor vehicle.

I've had and ridden bikes for over 40 years, and I ride a scooter in outer BKK. Would I let either of my kids loose on one? NEVER!

Kids should be started on dirt bike at 5 or 6.

• Thumbs Up 1

When I was about 9 y/o, I started to learn how to ride a motorbike. Taught with my fellow 9 y/o olds in my neighborhood.  The amount of pussifaction on this thread is both mind blowing and expected from a bunch of old self-righteous crumudgeon farts. 

Edited by bbko
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bbko said:

When I was about 9 y/o, I started to learn how to ride a motorbike. Taught with my fellow 9 y/o olds in my neighborhood.  The amount of pussifaction on this thread is both mind blowing and expected from a bunch of old self-righteous crumudgeon farts. 

Did you teach your 9 year old to ride a motorcycle on Thailands roads ???

Your pussification argument avoids any common sense or sense of responsible parenting.... 

As someone who both drives and rides here in Thailand, allowing my son on the back of my motorcycle is a hard no, let alone being given permission to ride when he is of age. 

It's a simple decision from a life expectancy perspective....  

6 hours ago, papa al said:

Kids should be started on dirt bike at 5 or 6.

Of course, why not...    in fields etc...   at 8 years old my son was going 80kmh down a mountain side, thats not much different from a dirt bike in a field....  

But... in Traffic is a very very different matter....  having natural full control of motorcycle is only part of the equation when riding on the road... 

I've been blessed with being in the right place and right time back home to have been trained in many aspect of driving. Commercial vehicles Class A,  full endorsement including instructions to teach and certify. As for motorbikes I wasnt working as a CHP,  but help compaign for the helmet law being around their surroundings I was afforded their training. During the short time on ride alongs I saw some disturbing death one still sticks a Hell's Angel with his brain being fried on the pavement like a egg. 

I never envision all my training would ever help me here in Thailand in which I've been close to 20 years I've driven nearly every inch several times. 

It isn't a matter of being a pussy or who has the biggest balls there is a huge difference training a child to ride and race on a dirt bike or even a tracker on a farm which in all a controlled environment.

Sure I understand many parents feel they need to toughen up their kids so he isn't a pussy but I rather see it happen in a gym learning martial arts how I grew up than having even the slightest chance of ever having to stand overcast coffin to say goodbye.  Call me a pussy,  lack of balls, I have no problem saying I care I love him enough to do whatever it takes to ever make sure it never happens. 

Here in Thailand I've seen a half dozens death and I don't know how many needless accident on motorbikes.  Two of them I serious doubt they were 18 years of age. 

I'm one that doesn't think Thais are incapable of driving it just the system and no Thai here that has the ability to teach them actually how to execute properly even a proper left or right turn top that off those who are entrusted with enforcement isn't their priority nor do they understand the rules since they come from the same system. 

That being said who here is going to train or teach them properly to share the rough instead of a system of road rage. Anyone can learn how to drive it is physical a monkey can do it the best driver will come from mental training. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/14/2023 at 8:00 PM, transam said:

Honda Scoopy

On 8/14/2023 at 8:07 PM, Moonlover said:

Honda Moove

On 8/14/2023 at 8:40 PM, bbko said:

Yahama Mio

Honda Zoomer is the most motorcycle looking one but not really for around the farm off road. 

• Confused 1

On 8/14/2023 at 7:36 PM, Cricky said:

I'm struggling to find the time to go back and forth for documentation

????

In that case, why not simply buy him a bike, preferably 400cc upwards, and let him kill himself on it. The 'test' will make no difference.

• Haha 1