Up to 30 million visitors expected this year: TAT

webfact

39 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

Do people actually get paid for producing these "forecasts" and do they have enough credability that anyone believes them? 

I know (from someone who worked at a government office) that bureaucrats here can come up with whatever silly idea they like. Thanks to the 'should not lose face' culture, such ideas and plans may be implemented nonetheless. Perhaps one TAT department boss dreamed of 30 million foreign tourists... Who knows, maybe we will read next week about 40 or 50 million foreign tourists expected in 2023.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Headline: Up to 30 million visitors expected this year

Based on what, exactly?

7 months actual data + 5 month forecast based on inward flight capacity, not exactly rocket science. At the start of the year their published forecast range was sensibly cautious at within the 24-30 million due to Chinese uncertainty, looks likely it will be in the middle of that range.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PMinThailand said:

Most of them being quality tourists from India, Bangladesh and China! 

No, those countries were 5th, 30th and 2nd in arrivals by country up to June and were only 18% of the total. 82% of Thailand's international tourists didn't come from those countries.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, kinyara said:

Yes let's not forget the 41st country in the list of arrivals with a whopping 30,704 arrivals year to date June. ????????

You seemed to have completely missed the obvious fact that my reply was tongue in cheek.

The post that I was replying to listed "Quality" tourists and that post also included a bit of tongue in cheek.

Considering that there were so few arrivals from Kuwait, it is amazing how often Kuwaitis have been in the news recently with their antics in Pattaya.

That is why when someone listed certain counties as "Quality" tourists I replied

"Don't forget Kuwait!"

Do you understand now?

4 minutes ago, loong said:

You seemed to have completely missed the obvious fact that my reply was tongue in cheek.

The post that I was replying to listed "Quality" tourists and that post also included a bit of tongue in cheek.

Considering that there were so few arrivals from Kuwait, it is amazing how often Kuwaitis have been in the news recently with their antics in Pattaya.

That is why when someone listed certain counties as "Quality" tourists I replied

"Don't forget Kuwait!"

Do you understand now?

Didn't miss it at all, it took me a few minutes to compose myself after reading your hilarious comment, I was just giving you some context to help you improve your comedy act.

Living in Pattaya so well aware of the current problem with young Kuwaiti gangs indulging in street racing. unfortunately I suspect it will only get dealt with properly if there is an accident involving a Thai with influence.

• Like 1

And just yesterday there were two seperate posts about disappointing numbers with regard to arrivals, and it stated a few valid reasons for that. We have a little over 4 months of low season left, economic duldrums, post covid catch up, high debt, poor press, dramatically lower numbers of Chinese travelers, major issues with the Chinese economy, less flights, more expensive flights, and they expect to double the current arrivals they claim they have had so far this year? We all know that 15 million number is fake anyway. So, what gives? Will they say anything to avoid losing face? Are they of the "truth is not truth" camp? Does the TAT have any remaining credibility? Does anyone buy these numbers?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kinyara said:

7 months actual data + 5 month forecast based on inward flight capacity, not exactly rocket science. At the start of the year their published forecast range was sensibly cautious at within the 24-30 million due to Chinese uncertainty, looks likely it will be in the middle of that range.

What 'actual data'? And on inward flight capacity, do they expect every flight to be full? If so, based on what? Do they take the economic situation in the countries these tourists come from, both now and what they think it might be over the coming months?

Truly great news. I have not heard a forecast from TAT for a while and worried that they had been shot to put them out of their misery.....but, thank god they are alive and can still do forecasts of tourists that are the most relevant and interesting thing in my life (I use the numbers for the lottery).

Can someone tell me what the point of TAT is?