13 Fake Pharmacists Held In Raid On Drugstores

webfact

image.jpeg

IN A raid on 14 pharmacies across Bangkok 13 unlicensed pharmacists were arrested on charges of selling cough syrup to teenagers that at very high doses can mimic the effects of illegal drugs ketamine, TV Channel 7 said.

The Consumer Protection Police Division and Food and Drug Administration had from July 24 to August 9 raided the 14 targeted pharmacies with many of them being a franchise.

A total of 156 medicines were seized when the 13 fake pharmacists rounded up. They had either studied up to the ninth or 12th grade with a few holding a bachelor’s degree.

by TNR Staff 

Two of the 14 pharmacies raided by police and FDA officials. Photo: MNG Online

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/08/15/13-fake-pharmacists-held-in-raid-on-drugstores/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2023-08-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter. Click to subscribe

• Haha 2

Look, if Uncle Jimmy and his girlfriend can come to your home and perform extensive electrical repair and installation work, then there is nothing wrong with Aunty Jenny selling a few medicines (it's not that hard, they all come with instructions.)

Edited by fondue zoo
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, bignok said:

Cant trust most drugs. I dont.

That's a bizarre statement. Many billions are spent to enable very clever scientists to develop the drugs that treat countless illnesses and prolong the life of countless millions in any one country. Yet you don't trust most of them. Interesting. i wonder why that is.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

were arrested on charges of selling cough syrup to teenagers that at very high doses can mimic the effects of illegal drugs ketamine,

Available from 7/11 with opium tincture.  20b

Edited by brianthainess

41 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That's a bizarre statement. Many billions are spent to enable very clever scientists to develop the drugs that treat countless illnesses and prolong the life of countless millions in any one country. Yet you don't trust most of them. Interesting. i wonder why that is.

Because they are full of side affects and weaken your immune system.

The drug coys must love you.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

selling cough syrup to teenagers that at very high doses can mimic the effects of illegal drugs ketamine

wouldn't it just be easier to buy ketamine? there is no bloody shortage of that around. 

These pharmacies tend to spring up right next to the fast-multiplying (around Rayong, anyway) 7/11 shops endemic to every busy-ish road.

Probably the ultra-processed cr@p "food" purveyed by the latter, sends the consumer into the clutches of the former.

"Fake Food Promotes Fake Pharmacies" is a neat headline, eh?????

21 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

13 in 14 pharmacies. That's pretty frightening. You just can't trust anyone or anything in Thailand.

Pharmacists were originally intended to have the knowledge to dispense medicine without a doctor. But now , everything goes through the doctor anyway. So pharmacists now are basically just a redundant middle man. 

But anyway, Thailand is a middle/3rd world country. What did you expect ? For me it is a positive. At least I can find a pharmacy that will give me a few valium so that I can sleep on a long flight.  In the west , if you asked any pharmacist or doctor for valium so you could get some sleep on a plane, they would panic and call the cops on you

6 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

Pharmacists were originally intended to have the knowledge to dispense medicine without a doctor. But now , everything goes through the doctor anyway. So pharmacists now are basically just a redundant middle man. 

But anyway, Thailand is a middle/3rd world country. What did you expect ? For me it is a positive. At least I can find a pharmacy that will give me a few valium so that I can sleep on a long flight.  In the west , if you asked any pharmacist or doctor for valium so you could get some sleep on a plane, they would panic and call the cops on you

I'm more concerned about when they might prescribe something unsuitable. People's health, even lives, are at stake. Would you want an unqualified mechanic working on your car? Oh, wait...... As you say, what else can we expect in a country where rules and laws are routinely ignored.

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm more concerned about when they might prescribe something unsuitable. People's health, even lives, are at stake. Would you want an unqualified mechanic working on your car? Oh, wait...... As you say, what else can we expect in a country where rules and laws are routinely ignored.

For very young and old people,  doctors would be prescribing everything for them anyway. And the pharmacist is just processing the script. For everyone in between, I don't see it as that big of a deal tbh. I could understand why some shop owner would go this route.