Dengue Fever Cases Climb To 5,000-6,000 A Week

webfact

1 hour ago, JackGats said:

Qdenga is a vaccine for those without previous infections. I wonder if it's worth getting.

Not just for those without previous infections... As far as I know it is actually recommended to prevent a second infection with a different dengue strain.

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I ask my doc about that he said I don't need it now you are immuned.

Maybe to the variant that you had, but what about the other three variants? I was told if I caught it again it would likely be much worse.

Also, how long would that immunity last?

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Your get plenty of Z's if you get dengue.????

True dat. Have known 2 who've had it. But can't stop the skeeters from doing what they do. I'm in the forest, mountains, wetlands, swamps and National Parks often and not gonna alter my life one little iota on the infinitesimally small chance of contracting it. Nor should anyone. Gotta get some ????. BIG upcoming next few days out in the field

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Lorry said:

Absolutely contraindicated.

Don't take aspirin if you have or suspect to have Dengue.

Dangerous as explained in the article. 

"Suspect to have" means every time you have a fever. 

That's why aspirin is not popular here

Funny,  you go to see a doctor here and walk out with a shopping bag full of drugs. 

You get some common flu,  right or wrong I ride it out until I can't let my immune be the pharmacy. 

Here a pill for fever, pill for cough,  pill for stuffy nose, what ever happen to it just being one pill drink lots of water and  rest. ????

Everyday there is a study saying what we have been doing for 70 years don't work? 

14 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Not unusual. Just more scare-tactic click bait. Tens-of-thousands of cases reported here every year. There were more than 130,000 cases in 2019 and 144,000 in 2015. Some years are worse than others. The average appears close to 80,000. 

https://www.who.int/thailand/news/detail/30-06-2023-combating-dengue-outbreak-and-addressing-overlapping-challenges-with-covid-19

To the 1 confused reader...

Try to shake it off. Couldn't be more clear, especially with a link that spells it out for ya. Only thing it doesn't do is draw you a picture. Oh wait...yes it does????

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, soalbundy said:

There is a new better vaccine from France but it looks rather expensive, I shall ask my insurance if they will pay for it.

What is the "new better vaccine from France" you are referring to, please?  You do not mean Qdenga which is Japanese (Takeda)?

Edited by K2938

8 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Any idea what this costs?

My wife has had one bout of Dengue, so I wanted to get her vaccinated.  Had to try several hospitals before we found one that had the vaccine. 9000 THB for each dose.  Needs two doses.

19 hours ago, Emdog said:

Sounds like that joke "If you take this medicine, you can be cured in a week. If you don't, it will take 7 days..."

I've had dengue twice. No picnic. I just rode it out

You were fortunate, it kills some. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, sandyf said:

These mosquitoes are associated with the living spaces of humans.

Which is precisely my point.  Humans (Thai engineers) build breeding chambers AKA drainage.  They occur on all major roads and expensive moo-baans.  When I served on the committee of one of these, I personally put Sai Bait (? a muslin bag of insecticide down every chamber effectively cutting back on egg laying.) The town hall often provided this free of charge.)

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Which is precisely my point.  Humans (Thai engineers) build breeding chambers AKA drainage.  They occur on all major roads and expensive moo-baans.  When I served on the committee of one of these, I personally put Sai Bait (? a muslin bag of insecticide down every chamber effectively cutting back on egg laying.) The town hall often provided this free of charge.)

I wasn't aware that humans lived in drainage systems but there is always something new to learn.

Curtailing the movement of humans would be more effective than all the insecticide you can lay your hands on.

I have lived in a mosquito infested area for the past 14 years without a problem but I go to a hotel in Pattaya and get Dengue. You have to recognise the real problem to deal with it, the scattergun approach solves very little.

16 hours ago, phetphet said:

Maybe to the variant that you had, but what about the other three variants? I was told if I caught it again it would likely be much worse.

Also, how long would that immunity last?

Told opposite so whatever I just get on with life as usual. 

11 hours ago, Kinnock said:

My wife has had one bout of Dengue, so I wanted to get her vaccinated.  Had to try several hospitals before we found one that had the vaccine. 9000 THB for each dose.  Needs two doses.

We just went to the village clinic, it's free for the village inhabitants, including me, but they have run out of stock, there has been a rush to get injected since dengue has been in the news. I've used the clinic several times for free in the past for small things, sprained ankle, a deep cut that needed stitches and a burnt hand when cooking oil caught fire but it surprised me that I could get this injection for free.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, K2938 said:

In the EU for example it IS also approved for people over 60 years old based on extrapolated data

Approved at EU level then. Because if I remember right for example Sweden and Belgium don't recommend it for over 60. It might be difficult finding a physician willing to breach the party line in such countries. This disease is a new ballgame as getting it once does the reverse from giving immunity. We are not out of the woods yet.

Edited by JackGats

On 8/19/2023 at 7:52 AM, CM Dad said:

I bought some at First Drug, Mee Chok Plaza, in Chiang Mai last month.  It was a very, very small bottle and the manager had to be called to unlock a special drawer to get it.  One would have thought I was requesting a dangerous narcotic.

Easily available over the counter.at.60 baht for 50 tabs stroke patients etc need on a daily basis

22 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

To the 1 confused reader...

Try to shake it off. Couldn't be more clear, especially with a link that spells it out for ya. Only thing it doesn't do is draw you a picture. Oh wait...yes it does????

To the perpetually confused reader...

555 sooooo predictable.

KNEW you'd take the bait

:clap2:

Edited by Skeptic7

21 hours ago, sandyf said:

the scattergun approach solves very little.

I singled out drainage chambers which is hardly scattergun.

'Curtailing the movement of humans would be more effective than all the insecticide you can lay your hands on.' 

How does one do this? Lockdown?

Mosquitoes don't come with the territory they come with the climate nothing to do with the territory I haven't had mosquitoes in my house for 10 years and this year I've been bitten three times it's the first time I've been bitten by mosquitoes in 8 years living in Thailand they don't come with the territory it's coming with climate change right yes

19 minutes ago, placnx said:

Is he a virologist? As various people have commented, you can get it again. There are four strains A-D.

There's a 5th as well apparently I have said before many times on other threads as well I was told after initial laboratory tests while in emergency and my stay in hospital that I had the worse virus DEN-2.

He told my wife that I could still get Dengue again but having seen many other people with DEN-2 and later getting dengue again it wasn't so severe, whether his right or not I really don't want to find out.

The strange thing I find is since my stay in hospital and having a complete blood transfusion I don't seem to get bitten by ordinary mosquitoes or my body just doesn't react anymore to bites.

I do feel ant bites though.