What is the tipping practice in Thailand ?

observer90210

On 7/28/2024 at 5:38 PM, FruitPudding said:

Yeah, the Thai waitresses don't think in percentages 

You could leave 20 baht on a 200 baht bill and they'd not appreciate it at all, but leave 100 baht on a 2000 baht bill and they'll be happy.

This is why service charges irks me, if you go to fine dining place and order bottles of wine tii, that could be over 1,000 baht in service charges, whereas 200-500 baht in the hand of waiter that waits you will make most people's day, maybe another 200 on the tray for the house to share amongst staff

but speaking with a few restaurateur, especially in town with diverse expat population, some cultures just don't tip at all so service charge all around,  so if there's service charge - no tip from me 

17 minutes ago, digbeth said:

but speaking with a few restaurateur, especially in town with diverse expat population, some cultures just don't tip at all so service charge all around,  so if there's service charge - no tip from me 

If there's a service charge I don't eat there. It's up to the employer to pay a living wage for their staff, it's not my job to make up the difference.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

If there's a service charge I don't eat there. It's up to the employer to pay a living wage for their staff, it's not my job to make up the difference.

Do you apply this rule to hotel stays as well?  Difficult to find a decent hotel without a service charge.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

Do you apply this rule to hotel stays as well?  Difficult to find a decent hotel without a service charge.

Don't think I've ever stayed anywhere with a service charge.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Don't think I've ever stayed anywhere with a service charge.

I don't think places that charges by the hour has service charge, 

do you haggle with the lady before employing her service too? 

• Haha 1

On 8/19/2023 at 4:29 PM, observer90210 said:

To follow the general implicit practice, I tend to leave around 10% of the check in a restaurant in Thailand for the tip, provided the food and service was good naturally.

In a swanky place with snooty staff,  I may leave less ...... and in a more humble establishment, I may leave a bit more. ????

Also always leave a bill with the cleaning ladies in the hotel and make it a point to give a bit extra to the older, heavier and less attractive ones !!

Question - as not to be another farang fool throwing bills around, and not wanting to spoil unnecessarily,  what would be your idea of a decent tip by local standards in the main cities or beach towns in Thailand  :

in restaurants ?

hotel maids ?

for the cleaning maid comming at home ?

the handyman comming over for repairs ?

Thank you and have a great week end.

Why do that?? . . .  no Thai or European would ever do So! 

I tip what I want to when I want to.

Up to me.

Generally I tip probably too much.

The two that I tip without fail are the security guy at my condo, he gets me a taxi every morning and and the parking lot attendant at work as he goes out the main road and gets me a taxi while I rest my weary bones at the building entrance. They would both do this even if I didn't tip but I appreciate it and am grateful.

1 hour ago, TheAppletons said:

I do not think you mean “service charge”, the typical 10% in the bill is not that.  It is just part of the cost, like the 7% VAT. 

1 minute ago, cdemundo said:

I tip what I want to when I want to.

Up to me.

Generally I tip probably too much.

The two that I tip without fail are the security guy at my condo, he gets me a taxi every morning and and the parking lot attendant at work as he goes out the main road and gets me a taxi while I rest my weary bones at the building entrance. They would both do this even if I didn't tip but I appreciate it and am grateful.

Absolutely: these security guys definitely need our support!  But maybe people do not call such gratuities, not tied to any other payment, to be ”tips”? 

• Like 1

On 8/19/2023 at 4:29 PM, observer90210 said:

To follow the general implicit practice, I tend to leave around 10% of the check in a restaurant in Thailand for the tip, provided the food and service was good naturally.

In a swanky place with snooty staff,  I may leave less ...... and in a more humble establishment, I may leave a bit more. ????

Also always leave a bill with the cleaning ladies in the hotel and make it a point to give a bit extra to the older, heavier and less attractive ones !!

Question - as not to be another farang fool throwing bills around, and not wanting to spoil unnecessarily,  what would be your idea of a decent tip by local standards in the main cities or beach towns in Thailand  :

in restaurants ?

hotel maids ?

for the cleaning maid comming at home ?

the handyman comming over for repairs ?

Thank you and have a great week end.

Why “leave a bill” for her? What are these “bills” you leave Around?? Also, sometimes it is a bloke!   How does your cleaner comm at home?? 

On 8/19/2023 at 4:55 PM, Stocky said:

There isn't really a practice of tipping in Thailand.

Personally, in restaurant I just round up, though these days with QR code scan to pay I just pay the bill. However, if a waiter/waitress has been particularly attentive I'll probably put a 100 in hand as leaving. Hotels I just leave the shrapnel, handymen/maids are already being paid to do a job. Taxis just round up. 

Nor is there such a tradition! Much like europe. 

On 8/19/2023 at 5:16 PM, Brickleberry said:

No idea.

Servers will always come to me for the money, but will always give the change back to my wife.

And it is essential to “tip the wife”? 

On 8/19/2023 at 6:37 PM, Jingthing said:

Round up or nothing for cheap meal.

20 baht per person for a modest meal.

30 to 50 baht per person for an expensive meal.

Forget percentages. You're not in Kansas anymore.

If service charge has been added, then it gets tricky as often the restaurant just takes that money.

Why, oh why! 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/19/2023 at 7:08 PM, Ohyesuare said:

10% in a restaurant if I haven't already been charged a service charge. Bolt just give 100 for shortish trips. Massage 100 per hour. Maids 100 per day. Worked out for me for the past few years and most seem appreciative/happy with it.

Doh!  For shortish trips the fare should be at most 100!! Just like a massage. 

And what would you exact them to be but happy? 

• Sad 1

On 8/19/2023 at 7:32 PM, Jingthing said:

One thing I can't shake.

Overtipping barbers especially if I'm using them regularly. 

It's definitely not the Thai custom but I just can't help it. 

Sake from where?  I have never “tipped a barber” in my whole very long life!  Mostly they were anyways the owner (no employees). 

4 hours ago, Unamerican said:

I do not think you mean “service charge”, the typical 10% in the bill is not that.  It is just part of the cost, like the 7% VAT. 

Huh.  Says "service charge".  What do I know, though - you're the new AN "expert" here, lol.  Congrats on hitting 50 posts.

Screenshot 2024-08-06 at 19.34.24.png

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Unamerican said:

Sake from where?  I have never “tipped a barber” in my whole very long life!  Mostly they were anyways the owner (no employees). 

Always tip my barber.

• Agree 1

Where we are in Issan, tipping doesn't seem to frowned upon at all.....the amount of rubbish tipped by the roadside is criminal....especially when one consider how good the refuse collection is.

• Haha 2

Just now, Will B Good said:

Where we are in Issan, tipping doesn't seem to frowned upon at all.....the amount of rubbish tipped by the roadside is criminal....especially when one consider how good the refuse collection is.