Pizza by the Slice in Bangkok

BugJackBaron

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I guess you don't know any Yanks that have eating good pizza.  My one chickie friend use to have a pizza & hoagie/sandwich shop ... excellent.  Along with a cousin owning same.   I've rarely had a bad pizza in the USA.  

Way too many crap pizzas here.  To the point, I don't roll the dice often, and just make at home.  My pizza bread/rolls at home (when lazy) is better than most pizza here.

Cheese is their biggest weak point, and why I usually get pepperoni here, as makes up for the lack of flavorful or amount of cheese they use.

I’d certainly be willing to try something recommended. But when I look at what has been recommended for myself, I cannot bring myself to do it. 

4 minutes ago, NextG said:

Yes, I’ve had Turkish PIDE. Different bread, different taste, different texture. It’s not all the same. 
Lebanese Manousheh is a case in point. The cheese ised is not some grated ‘mozzarella’ replete with potato starch, but a quality ingredient, such as akkawi. 

No, not taking about pide, I was referring to what we call "Turkish pizza" in Sydney. Pizza made with dough just like mamma used to make but then they put on all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff like marinated lamb, olives and feta cheese, or kebab meat. And, God forbid, pineapple! ????

2 minutes ago, NextG said:

I’d certainly be willing to try something recommended. But when I look at what has been recommended for myself, I cannot bring myself to do it. 

Really does depend on what you were raised on.  Most Yanks my age, I think were raised on Philly/NY Style pizza.  Chewy crust, that does take a while to make, and the gluten to develop.

I think that was the standard, Until Wolfgang Puck came along, and introduce Neapolitan, as first time I saw it offered up.  Became a California thing, then countrywide.  Detroit & Chicago had their thing going, but that's about it, I think.

And thin crust pizza, TBH, don't think I ever saw it in the USA, and not till I came here.  

25 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

No, not taking about pide, I was referring to what we call "Turkish pizza" in Sydney. Pizza made with dough just like mamma used to make but then they put on all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff like marinated lamb, olives and feta cheese, or kebab meat. And, God forbid, pineapple! ????

Yes… it’s called Pide, unless you are referring to Lahmacun. 

24 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Really does depend on what you were raised on.  Most Yanks my age, I think were raised on Philly/NY Style pizza.  Chewy crust, that does take a while to make, and the gluten to develop.

I think that was the standard, Until Wolfgang Puck came along, and introduce Neapolitan, as first time I saw it offered up.  Became a California thing, then countrywide.  Detroit & Chicago had their thing going, but that's about it, I think.

And thin crust pizza, TBH, don't think I ever saw it in the USA, and not till I came here.  

I don’t mind from whence it comes… as long as they utilise quality ingredients. 

4 minutes ago, NextG said:

Yes… it’s called Pide, unless you are referring to Lahmacun. 

No, I'm referring to "Italian style" pizza made with the round shape and using tomato sauce as the base. However, instead of the usual Italian toppings they use Turkish style toppings like halal ham and pepperoni. Or maybe they do an "Italian style" pizza like anchovies and olives but it has a more Middle Eastern taste to it.

The place I used to order from until it went downhill also made pides with the usual ingredients like lahmacun, sujuk, eggs etc. However they never put any of the pide toppings on the pizzas, as far as I remember.

And kebabs of course, that's where they got the bright idea to make a kebab meat pizza. The beef one has olives on it I think, and the chicken one had pineapple. A great big greasy tasty mess and proof that you can put just about any ol' damn thing on a pizza as long as you make it with delicious, quality ingredients.

7 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

No, I'm referring to "Italian style" pizza made with the round shape and using tomato sauce as the base. However, instead of the usual Italian toppings they use Turkish style toppings like halal ham and pepperoni. Or maybe they do an "Italian style" pizza like anchovies and olives but it has a more Middle Eastern taste to it.

The place I used to order from until it went downhill also made pides with the usual ingredients like lahmacun, sujuk, eggs etc. However they never put any of the pide toppings on the pizzas, as far as I remember.

And kebabs of course, that's where they got the bright idea to make a kebab meat pizza. The beef one has olives on it I think, and the chicken one had pineapple. A great big greasy tasty mess and proof that you can put just about any ol' damn thing on a pizza as long as you make it with delicious, quality ingredients.

Lahmacun is not an ingredient… It’s the ‘pizza’ itself. 

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Lahmacun is not an ingredient… It’s the ‘pizza’ itself. 

Thanks, I'll look it up. I only ever heard the name from a guy at work, he mentioned it when we were talking about pide. I'm not a massive pide fan, too much dough for my liking. Dunno if that's an actual Turkish thing or just a Western Sydney thing ????

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I will draw the line on anchovies, that's just gross, and not a fan of olives, on or in anything.

Anchovies (and olives) are to Italians what pah-laa (fermented fish) to Isaan folks, core ingredients of their indigenous cuisine. If those are gross to you, then you belong to a distinct minority = as a distant whiff of camembert might bring instant nausea to some of my Asian friends (though they'll be perfectly happy with a wedge wrapped in foil  of "La vache qui rit" ie the laughing cow brand of cheese for toddlers.)

Edited by watthong

12 minutes ago, watthong said:

Anchovies (and olives) are to Italians what pah-laa (fermented fish) to Isaan folks, core ingredients of their indigenous cuisine. If those are gross to you, then you belong to a distinct minority = as a distant whiff of camembert might bring instant nausea to some of my Asian friends (though they'll be perfectly happy with a wedge wrapped in foil  of "La vache qui rit" ie the laughing cow brand of cheese for toddlers.)

Anchovies as an ingredient, no problem, as I used making Caesar Salad, but as a pizza topping ... nah.  Olives, no use for them, but I use salt to enhance flavor, not to 'be the flavor'.  

Don't think I'd like them raw either, though don't think they sell them, as very bitter, or so I read.  Usually in a brine or pickled, and don't think I had them pickled.  Read some are even very mild or sweet, again, only had the ones in a brine, I think.

If I see them in or on something, the get picked out and tossed to the side.  Every once in a while, I'll taste and remind myself why I don't like them.

18 hours ago, NextG said:

Are you an American? They love to make these kinds of definitive statements. 
I took a look, but once I saw they put pineapple on pizza, I tuned out. 

Didn't realize your utter distain for Americans.

Have a nice day

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Didn't realize your utter distain for Americans.

Have a nice day

They can be a tad over sensitive, in addition to making claims of this or that being “the best in the world!” ????

• Sad 1

On 8/27/2023 at 10:40 PM, Tookea said:

The best pizza in Bangkok - possibly all of mainland Thailand - is Vesuvius.  And next door is kick*** massage joint. Not far from Nana. Been there for a number of years so must be doing something right.

It used to be good but it changed ownership and, sadly, has gone downhill. The pizza base used to be Napoli style and now it is crispy and nothing like it used to be. A shame.

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2023 at 6:21 PM, KhunLA said:

I guess you don't know any Yanks that have eating good pizza.  My one chickie friend use to have a pizza & hoagie/sandwich shop ... excellent.  Along with a cousin owning same.   I've rarely had a bad pizza in the USA.  

Way too many crap pizzas here.  To the point, I don't roll the dice often, and just make at home.  My pizza bread/rolls at home (when lazy) is better than most pizza here.

Cheese is their biggest weak point, and why I usually get pepperoni here, as makes up for the lack of flavorful or amount of cheese they use.

Agreed about the cheese. Though it wasn't by the slice, the last really good pizza I had was years ago in Vientienne. The owner said they used quality cheese like the French did.

15 hours ago, NextG said:

They can be a tad over sensitive, in addition to making claims of this or that being “the best in the world!” ????

Your distain goes way deeper than that.  You may want to read some of your replies.  Not just here, but many of your replies on threads.  As are most AN members, I find a bit anti Yank.

And opinions, taste wise, are just that opinions, and usually as I stated, based on what you are raised or use to.   If I was native Italian, and ate pizza in Italy for 45 years, and had a different style Yank pizza, which do you think I'd consider better ?  

Ever get beef burger in deep south of TH, made be a Muslim.  I wouldn't even call it a beef burger, but they apparently think it's great.  A double Whopper might gross them out, all that 'beef' flavor ... or ... realize what they've been missing.

On Topic ... Cheese is the big killer here for pizza, and why I'd never order a cheese pizza, as use to be the standard order back in USA.  Quality & quantity used here is usually very poor, why I need pepperoni if ordering here, to add some flavor to the pizza.  Sometimes loaded up, meat & veggies, sometimes just pepperoni or chorizo if have, at home.

I've had Tom Yum & KraPao pizza here, and damn tasty, when in the mood.  But I do need a thick 'chewy' crust (not Pizza Co's), though their NY Style was excellent.  Shame it was discontinued, as also the bargain meal of all time here.  Large Pepperoni @ ฿399, and a pig out for 2.

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Your distain goes way deeper than that.  You may want to read some of your replies.  Not just here, but many of your replies on threads.  As are most AN members, I find a bit anti Yank.

And opinions, taste wise, are just that opinions, and usually as I stated, based on what you are raised or use to.   If I was native Italian, and ate pizza in Italy for 45 years, and had a different style Yank pizza, which do you think I'd consider better ?  

Ever get beef burger in deep south of TH, made be a Muslim.  I wouldn't even call it a beef burger, but they apparently think it's great.  A double Whopper might gross them out, all that 'beef' flavor ... or ... realize what they've been missing.

On Topic ... Cheese is the big killer here for pizza, and why I'd never order a cheese pizza, as use to be the standard order back in USA.  Quality & quantity used here is usually very poor, why I need pepperoni if ordering here, to add some flavor to the pizza.  Sometimes loaded up, meat & veggies, sometimes just pepperoni or chorizo if have, at home.

I've had Tom Yum & KraPao pizza here, and damn tasty, when in the mood.  But I do need a thick 'chewy' crust (not Pizza Co's), though their NY Style was excellent.  Shame it was discontinued, as also the bargain meal of all time here.  Large Pepperoni @ ฿399, and a pig out for 2.

Of course they are opinions. I’m expressing mine. 

“Pig out”… quantity over quality. I prefer quality of an ample nature.  ????

I’ll say no more as you seem easy to offend. 

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, NextG said:

Of course they are opinions. I’m expressing mine. 

“Pig out”… quantity over quality. I prefer quality of an ample nature.  ????

I’ll say no more as you seem easy to offend. 

Very thick skinned, obviously needed on AN. Not just quantity pig out, their NY Style was damn tasty, and 18", I think, same as SoHo, also excellent but ฿650 last time ordered, and also a bargain.

฿399 Pizza Co ????

image.png.7db8346792807167e475cc74ccc52eec.png

10 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Very thick skinned, obviously needed on AN. Not just quantity pig out, their NY Style was damn tasty, and 18", I think, same as SoHo, also excellent but ฿650 last time ordered, and also a bargain.

฿399 Pizza Co ????

image.png.7db8346792807167e475cc74ccc52eec.png

Yes, I saw the 18” pizza before I replied to you. 
As a teenager, I would happily eat such things. Now I prefer to be able to identify what I’m eating…

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, mstevens said:

It used to be good but it changed ownership and, sadly, has gone downhill. The pizza base used to be Napoli style and now it is crispy and nothing like it used to be. A shame.

Thanks for letting me know about the change of ownership. It is a shame to hear that it has dropped in quality.  I haven't been for a while as I found a source of good quality high protein strong 00 flour and now I make my own. The pizza was of a high standard with high quality cured meats, quality mozzarella and tomatoes. Dough was about 70% hydration as per Napoli guidelines.

As someone else mentioned, Little Italy at the top of suk 23 have pizza by the slice. I walked by last week and they had 5 or 6 pizza choices. big slices and 70 baht a slice or 2 for 120. I didn't eat it but have before on the way home from having a few sherbets. I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but certainly had worse.

On 8/24/2023 at 11:18 AM, BugJackBaron said:

On behalf of all late night drinkers who require a slice of Pizza in Nana or other areas after a goof night of imbibing, I would like to know where, where, O where did the slice of Pizza venders go?

I remember there was a good in Nana but it seems to have long gone.

Inquiring drinkers want to know! I want to know!

The last thing on my mind after my days in Nana were eating 555

10 hours ago, mstevens said:

Been going to Vesuvio for years. It's the exact same recipe and exact same chefs as before the ownership change. Looking at their display case, it's even the same suppliers/ingredients. (I am told the only concession they make to local or non-Italian tastes is they have a Hawaiian pizza. Hawaiian is a favorite of Thai women.)

There's a large group of Italian expats I see there if I go on weekends. If it's good enough for Italians, it's good enough for me.

Nothing changed at all, except they now have a great wine list and an expanded beer list (BeerLao light and dark, Hoegaaden, Erdinger), plus a number of good wines by the glass (whereas before the ownership change, by-the-glass was horrid box wine.).

In my many years of visiting Bangkok I've tried every pizza shop there is. The only one that compares with Vesuvio is Pizza Massilia if I want wood-fired Napoli style.

Edited by Walker88
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Been going to Vesuvio for years. It's the exact same recipe and exact same chefs as before the ownership change. Looking at their display case, it's even the same suppliers/ingredients. (I am told the only concession they make to local or non-Italian tastes is they have a Hawaiian pizza. Hawaiian is a favorite of Thai women.)

There's a large group of Italian expats I see there if I go on weekends. If it's good enough for Italians, it's good enough for me.

Nothing changed at all, except they now have a great wine list and an expanded beer list (BeerLao light and dark, Hoegaaden, Erdinger), plus a number of good wines by the glass (whereas before the ownership change, by-the-glass was horrid box wine.).

In my many years of visiting Bangkok I've tried every pizza shop there is. The only one that compares with Vesuvio is Pizza Massilia if I want wood-fired Napoli style.

Hmm, methinks iight need to head down and have a look.

I have noticed that the subject of Napoli Style pizza divides people. Those unfamiliar with it and more used to loaded pizzas may seem disappointed.

For me pizza is base and the 2 or 3 toppings are a compliment; much like Thai fare with rice.

Shops with ovens hot enough for a 2 or 3 minute cook to get a crunchy external and soft airy Internal crust don't seem to be common in BKK.

I read an earlier post where pineapple was on the pizza as an option and I didn't recall that. Thanks for clarifying. I thought the poster was confused with the shop.

Is there a home made pizza thread buried at AN?

Edited by LS24

On 8/29/2023 at 6:43 PM, LS24 said:

Is there a home made pizza thread buried at AN?

I started a thread to review a wood fired pizza oven I bought. It could become a home made pizza thread I suppose.

I've since refined things and now only use buffalo mozeralla which takes it up a level. Going to fire it up at the weekend as just got back from the UK with another 20kg of oak chips.

• 4 months later...
On 8/25/2023 at 11:53 AM, LALes said:

The late, lamented Ronnie's NY Pizza on Soi Nana was great.  Covid killed it.

If you want a slice of real NY Pizza, go to SOHO on Soi 11, up near the top of the soi.

Maybe even better than Ronnie's was.  It's not cheap-120 baht for a slice of cheese-but

its really good.  Pala is OK, if you like the thick, bready, square slice.

I might try that SOHO place on Sukumvit Soi 11. By 'top of the soi', you mean near the Sukumvit side of Soi 11, and not all the way by the other side, right? Anyway, I hope this is the case because I know that soi is quite long :)