What on earth is TM30 ?!

Guys we are in Thailand, with  my partner and 3 kids (all under 10). 

We have arrived and stayed in an airbnb. We qualified for visa exemption. We plan to get an extension in the coming days for another month. Before we get our education visas. 

However, i now keep hearing about TM30 ?! What on the dog feacal matter is this ?! Will my airbnb host have registered me ?!

My question is i don't think the owner of the airbnb has ever asked about my children? Have they been registered with a TM30 ?!

spacer.png

• Confused 4
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

UPDATE - just contacted him. He hasn't registered me. 

Now what ? Do i go straight to the goolags and how does this effect my visa extension i planned on getting ?

I have been here on visa exempt, tourist visa, a few years on retirement, and back on exempt, and now for first time we called in at emigration for tm 30, and we could meet up on monday if that suited us. Never done it before, but once and awhile got a heads up from them, next time I have to do. The owner have to bring the housebook, and bring your copy of first page passport and your visa exempt/visa, or he register online. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Any time you enter Thailand with a new visa you are required to do a TM30.

Useally my first TM30 is on hotels, and back home have really nit bothered, but Im aware of the rules yes, and therefor as described, will start doing it from now with new visa application.

11 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

UPDATE - just contacted him. He hasn't registered me. 

Now what ? Do i go straight to the goolags and how does this effect my visa extension i planned on getting ?

Put some fire under his butt (in a polite/respectful way)  and tell him if he doesn't help you file your TM 30 (as required by Thai law), you will be forced to move to another place that will file your TM 30.

5 minutes ago, homeseeker said:

I notice at CW immigration(BKK) at the check in area there are  counters marked "TM 30".

Yea...and in mid 2019 when doing my 11th retirement extension of stay I spent approximately 4 hours in the CW TM30 counter queue because the immigration officer processing my retirement extension in the Long Term L section wouldn't approve it until I could show a TM30 which I had never done since retiring to Thailand 11 years earlier.  So IO sent me over to the TM30 section to resolve the issue...once resolving the issue (i.e., providing a copy of a TM30) I was to come back to the L section to finish processing of my annual extension.

That day at CW "many" people applying for annual renewal of their retirement/marriage/long stay extensions were being required to show a TM30 which most had never accomplished (or possibly heard of)  just like me.   I was in the TM30 queue for 4 hours (not counting the intervening lunch break)  before being called...the end result was completing paperwork for a TM30, paying a Bt800 fine, and being issued a TM30.   

I then went back to the L section with TM30 in-hand....in about another 30 minutes L section finished approval of my extension.....I'm done.   Where typically my annual extensions only took a few hours and I was done well before lunch for my 2019 extension the "copy of my TM30" requirement monkey wrench turned my CW visit into pretty much an all day affair.   Around 2019 is when the Thai govt got anal about TM30 being accomplished due to a lot of high profile, media grabbing attention on overstays, expat criminal activity, etc., which the govt framed as national security related. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Pib said:

.......the immigration officer processing my retirement extension in the Long Term L section wouldn't approve it until I could show a TM30 which I had never done since retiring to Thailand 11 years earlier

In approx 2019 there was a change in boss of immigration.

Big Joke exit and Big Oud new boss.

The TM30 was a show of doing something.

Thought for first time ever I would need to do a TM30.

However this all fizzled out and in Nov 2019 did annual extension CW without TM30 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

In approx 2019 there was a change in boss of immigration.

Big Joke exit and Big Oud new boss.

The TM30 was a show of doing something.

Thought for first time ever I would need to do a TM30.

However this all fizzled out and in Nov 2019 did annual extension CW without TM30 

Now for the my 2020 extension I included a copy of my TM30 with my extension paperwork....in 2021 I didn't include a TM30 copy and the IO asked for it and I provided it....in 2022 I started just including it again to avoid the IO from possibly asking for it and since providing a copy is cheap & easy.   Just another example of how people's experiences vary from immigration office to office and even at the same office.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pib said:

Now for the my 2020 extension I included a copy of my TM30 with my extension paperwork....in 2021 I didn't include a TM30 copy and the IO asked for it and I provided it....in 2022 I started just including it again to avoid the IO from possibly asking for it and since providing a copy is cheap & easy.   Just another example of how people's experiences vary from immigration office to office and even at the same office.

Indeed.

BTW did your paperwork include a Lease.

"Any time you enter Thailand with a new visa you are required to do a TM30."

PLUS; "every time you change hotel!" I was told @ Jomtien immigration... A new report within 24h.

I travel a lot and stay maybe in 8-12 places during 3-4mo vacation. Most are far away from nearest Immigration.

It's unreasonable to think they (hotels) make so many reports. They don't so before my trip I stay at my reputable hotel knowing they do report and return to the same. That way it, hopefully, looks I've been staying there all the time.

Time will tell if it works and how long.

What do you think?

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

Guys we are in Thailand, with  my partner and 3 kids (all under 10). 

We have arrived and stayed in an airbnb. We qualified for visa exemption. We plan to get an extension in the coming days for another month. Before we get our education visas. 

However, i now keep hearing about TM30 ?! What on the dog feacal matter is this ?! Will my airbnb host have registered me ?!

My question is i don't think the owner of the airbnb has ever asked about my children? Have they been registered with a TM30 ?!

spacer.png

It is because of people staying [often illegally] in condos that we all have to do a TM30.

Edited by mokwit

@AndrewMciver

I'm thinking easiest would be, IF landlord is allowed to rent, is backdate a lease, then have landlord submit the TM30.  Pay the fine (฿1000 or used to be), to give landlord motivation to.  Really no bid deal for anyone involved, unless of course the landlord is renting illegally.

Can't hurt to ask.   Lease <3yrs and landlord doesn't have to worry about registering it with land office and being taxed in advance.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

That day at CW "many" people applying for annual renewal of their retirement/marriage/long stay extensions were being required to show a TM30 which most had never accomplished (or possibly heard of)  just like me.   

They're so thoughtful.